4 speed floorshift transmission parts source?

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
63 320
Car: 1963 Datsun 320 pickup

i am finishing up my engine rebuild and started on the transmission and found the front cover broken.
The sleeve that the throw out bearing rides on has broken off the front cover.
I also would like to replace the syncro's
does any one have a source for either of these parts
or maybe a perfect fit 5sp trans?
thanks Jody

difrangia
Car: 1978 Datsun 620 'Longbed', 1964 NL320, 1961 FIAT 500D, 1964 Type 113 Beetle, 79 Ford Festiva

I don't believe there is an easy install 5-speed. I studied this in depth over the last couple years. To use the E1 or J-Series engine would require at least a fabricated adapter plate to mate the transmission. A rear mount would need to be fabricated and the floor cut between the back of the trany access plate and the little crossmember in the floor inside the cab to allow the shifter to come up which would be very close to the seat front as the shifter on any Datsun trany is about 4-5 inches further back than the original transmission. Unless you are totally dedicated to the 5-Speed swap and have the skills and shop facilities to do the swap, stick with the original 4-Speed floor shift.

Do keep in mind that the same transmission was used in the 410 sedan and in the 520 pickups built up to September 1965 (only half a year). at that point the transmission with the stamped bottom pan was used. The flywheel from either 520 transmissions will work and has an 8" (200mm) clutch surface. This broadens your search territory a little but the top-load floor-shifter trany is still a very hard to find animal. If you do find a 320 being parted out with the floor trany, be sure to get the transmission access pan that bolts in the floor; it's taller and very different. To replace the clutch, press plate parts you can get the kit for the later bottom plate trany but the clutch disc in the kit won't work with the top-load transmission. Last time I looked, the kit and the correct clutch disc (7/8" diameter - 20 spline input shaft) were available on Ebay. I think I have the listings marked if you want them. Good luck
Steve

Return to “Datsun 320”