4-lug / 16 inch brake clearance

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
Phax
Car: Control dynamics

Gentlemen,

Although I've searched, I have not found any specific commentary with regards to the smallest possible wheel to run on an S13, and still clear a larger, Z32 sized brake setups.

I want to stick with the 4-lug pattern, and I know that I'll have to redrill the rotor and all that. So as far as which wheel to use goes... what will clear both the rotor and the caliper, assuming a 4-piston Brembo or Wilwood, etc. type caliper?

Also, I'd like to keep the wheel within the stock width fenders, if possible.

Onizuka
Car: 91 coupe w/s13 SR20DET 89 hatch w/s14 SR20DE

the smallest i have seen on the z32 brake swap is 16". If you are going to to a brake upgrade even larger than that, then you will need 17". But then again it all depends on spoke design.

mtclaes

I have been looking into the exact same issue. My understanding is that even the stock wheels with a 40mm offset (I beleive they are 6 inches wide) will clear both size Z32 brakes. It seems that the real issue is clearing coilovers. I plan on running 15x7 watanabe wheels with a 35mm offset. Since I plan on running about 1 degree of neg. camber in the rear and maybe 1.5 in the front, I think it should eliminate most of the scrub radius and still clear brakes/suspension. I don't know though, this is all based on hearsay so I am going to try it out and see how it goes. If anyone else has run a similar setup, I would be interested in hearing about it.

Phax

mtclaes wrote:I have been looking into the exact same issue. My understanding is that even the stock wheels with a 40mm offset (I beleive they are 6 inches wide) will clear both size Z32 brakes. It seems that the real issue is clearing coilovers. I plan on running 15x7 watanabe wheels with a 35mm offset. Since I plan on running about 1 degree of neg. camber in the rear and maybe 1.5 in the front, I think it should eliminate most of the scrub radius and still clear brakes/suspension. I don't know though, this is all based on hearsay so I am going to try it out and see how it goes. If anyone else has run a similar setup, I would be interested in hearing about it.

First off,

Welcome to the Board!

Secondly,

Thanks for sharing your research. What is it about the 15 inch wheels that you like, as opposed to the 16 inch ones? The coil-over suspension, brake and wheel upgrade is what I'm going to do after the motor is in the car. It might be worth calling Jim Wolff Technologies, or Stillen as both those companies are involved in Nissan racing, where they'll be more familiar with coil-overs and what not.

F4ucc
Car: motorsports

mtclaes

Well, we are on the same boat.I am running WATANABE RS-8 15x17 with +27mm offset. By looking at the sproke design of RS-8 with proper spacer I might be able to fit Z calipers in there. I will let you know once I get my stuffs.

Cheers

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

As far as Z32 brakes go, does anyone know if you need to get the Z32 master brake cylinder as well? I read that the stock S13 master cylinder doesnt push enough fluid through the lines to be as effective as the could be. Also, is there any difference between Z32 turbo brakes and Z32 N/A brakes?

Phax

JNM240 wrote:As far as Z32 brakes go, does anyone know if you need to get the Z32 master brake cylinder as well? I read that the stock S13 master cylinder doesnt push enough fluid through the lines to be as effective as the could be. Also, is there any difference between Z32 turbo brakes and Z32 N/A brakes?

Bump

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”