3rd Party NAV & XM Install Pictures

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Kermee

After being spoiled with the Lexus 5th Gen NAV and I'll be the first one to admit that I get lost easily in unfamiliar territories, I picked up a Garmin StreetPilot C330 for $299.99 after a mail-in rebate. And since I was starting to miss my XM tunes, I got another car-kit for my SkyFi2 and installed it into the Versa.

Here are the results!

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

What? You didn't want to get the $2000 Pioneer double-din 7"-touchscreen AM/FM/MP3/4CD/1DVD NAV/DVD entertainment unit with a 30GB hard drive? What's wrong with you? hehehe

anyway, good job making it look as clean as possible.

voltronguy
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL Super Black

Kermee,How did you route the power for those two units? I know I was dissapointed that there is only 1 power outlet. What kind of mount is on your XM? The one that came with it, or some kind of vehicle specific one? Nice looking install.

Kermee

Ever Victorious wrote:What? You didn't want to get the $2000 Pioneer double-din 7"-touchscreen AM/FM/MP3/4CD/1DVD NAV/DVD entertainment unit with a 30GB hard drive? What's wrong with you? hehehe

anyway, good job making it look as clean as possible.
Trust me... the thought did cross my mind Maybe in the future. I already need to start thinking when the aftermarket roof rack becomes available, the cost of that plus the bike mount and kayak mount... these things add up. Plus I've been looking to replace the OE tires also with something else.

I do miss Pioneer HU's. I use to have a nice one in my old '99 Mitsu Galant with an Xtant amp, a 12" Rockford Fosgate sub and Diamond S500s's in the fronts with the Pioneer XM radio. It was rock solid and had great sound...

Oof. No lack of toys to get for cars...

Cheers,Kermee

Kermee

voltronguy wrote:Kermee,How did you route the power for those two units? I know I was dissapointed that there is only 1 power outlet. What kind of mount is on your XM? The one that came with it, or some kind of vehicle specific one? Nice looking install.
Nice catch. You are absolutely correct. I purchased a 12VDC 3-Outlet Car Power adapter from Radio Shack (Catalog #: 270-1561) and permanently mounted it with screws to the right of the cup holders in the front passenger-side. You will see where the plastic meets the carpet. Run (in other words, shove), the power cable into the plastic/carpet seam towards the middle of the passenger seat and then come back out and into the 12VDC outlet.

Look Ma! No wires!

It hides extremely well. All the other routing of the power cables and antenna cables ran the same way. No wires can be seen. The only problem I did have was with the GPS unit as you can tell in the picture. There's nothing for me to hide the wires into along that small window until I hit the door jams. The power cord then goes into the rubber weatherstripping and hides extremely well in there too.

I'll take close-ups of the installed 12VDC 3-Outlet unit and how I ran the power and antenna leads tomorrow. The 3-Outlet unit does come with a kit to either feed from an accessory lighter or a splice to hardwire the 12VDC but I was too lazy (READ: Impatient) to find where a nice switched (ACC or ON) 12VDC lead was nearby other than taking the center console off and just splicing it a few inches from the Versa's accessory outlet.

Cheers,Kermee

Kegard
Car: 1.8SL CVT

Where did you get your bracket for your XM unit? I have a Sirius Sportster mounted to my windshield, but after seeing how nice your install works (especially with hiding the wires) I'd like to put mine in the same place.

Did you have to take anything apart to install the bracket?

Return to “Versa General Chat”