370Z Touring VS G37 Prem...thoughts??

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

I posted in the G discussion for thoughts...would like some from here.
Yes, I had a typo in the subject...yes, I may have been drankn while posting! :gapteeth:
g37-or-30z-t595861.html

2012 370Z Touring with Sport package. 5k miles.
2013 G37 Prem & Nav. 11k miles.
Both are silver with grey interior.
Both are AUTOmagics.....
(Have owned sticks for 30 plus years and my G coupe is my first auto...wait til your left knee occasionally hurts from years of bball and MA before you comment on the auto please...) :yesnod

What worries me about the Z?? No back seat.
Not much room for stuff . A little bumpier....
Tires/brake a little more on the Z....anything else cost more?

Dealership where Z is is closed til FRIDAY AM. Going to Infiniti today to see how low they will go on the G.

djwarner
Car: 1971 240Z Series I
2006 350Z

I've owned a G and a 350z. Unless you routinely drive a lot of twisty roads at high speeds, the G37 will be easier to live with and will probably give you more of your money back when you go to pass it on. Weight and drive train are pretty comparable - just differences in tuning.

Sad to say, in a recent poll where people were asked if they would buy their car again, the 370Z faired very poorly. It may be the overall utility of the vehicle becomes apparent after you've owned it for a while.

All in all, I find the G37 better fit YMMV.

SVTCOBRA

Thanks! I agree with you. Drove the Z after driving the G37....guess I'm getting old cause really prefer the G37 ride.
The Z was fun though!!

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

The Z is most definitely a fun car. I currently DD mine. At least once a month I find myself in a situation where I had a bit more room for my daily stuff, but it comes and goes. The wife has the Rogue for when we really need people/stuff moving capabilities, and that's really the main reason why I swing a Z as a daily.

For just daily stuff, there's no question that if I only had one car, the Z just wouldn't be it. The G would very likely be my choice because the backseat does occasionally come in handy and so does a usable trunk.
djwarner wrote: Sad to say, in a recent poll where people were asked if they would buy their car again, the 370Z faired very poorly. It may be the overall utility of the vehicle becomes apparent after you've owned it for a while.
The poll was from Consumer Reports and it was a completely useless pile of statistics. They're borderline meaningless in the grand scheme of things, especially with the group of cars in the group.

"Sporty" cars is quite a lofty, non-committal term in this case because it tries to do too much at once.

One car I would immediately discredit is the Corvette Stingray. What percentage of owners are still in the "honeymoon" phase? Silly to gauge owner satisfaction there. I know that every car I ever owned, within the first year or so, I would likely say "yes I would buy it again." Is that a fair sentiment when you have most of that car's owners and their satisfaction levels gauged against a likely equal pool of people with a 6 year old 370Z? Of course, at that point, they're likely going to be like "yeah, it's time for something new". Completely asinine. Of those cars on that poll, the 370Z is one of the oldest platforms.

The other piece of it is - why wouldn't you buy again? How many of the people who can afford a Corvette Stingray likely can afford a more practical car to handle life? I challenge you to take that demographic and compare it to Z owners - they likely won't buy another Z because life simply won't accommodate a 2 seater as things happen and they have to move on. Most Vette owners are in their 50s and 60s. There are plenty of Z owners in their late teens and early 20s, and it's their only car.

Then, to combine those two cars, the demographics in each, and compare them to a FWD four-door Civic SI? Or an AWD Audi S4 sedan? A Focus hatchback? A ******* FIAT?

This is why anything Consumer Reports piles together is a load of ****. While there are valid points made by many people in this thread about shortcomings of the Z, the report itself... nothing to see here.

/RANT

SVTCOBRA

If it were just me and the wife....probably would have left with the Z....
but, there are the kids....and the dogs.....and car payments
And, the youngest kid has 1.5 years left at UNC-G....so there is this bill from the college.....
so, many factors involved including an additional car payment.
So, walked away from the Z.

Actually, walked away from a sweet 2011 G37 with only 20K miles on it just two nights ago. Black with stone interior.
We were only $250 apart which isn't enough to stop a deal (in my eyes), but gave me time to decide that right now, I don't want another car payment.
So, going to fix some of the issues with my 04 G coupe and be happy! Only has 102K miles anyway.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

Good for you for deciding to wait until you really want to buy. And 102K is nothing on a well-maintained VQ, my Z has 177K on it and still runs great. The other nice thing, if you're buying pre-owned, about holding off on purchasing is the longer you wait the more your dollar will buy

As far as 2 seats vs 4 seats I think too many people buy a Z, or other 2 seater, to use as a daily driver without really thinking about how it's going to impact their day to day life. I came to my Z from a 240SX with its nearly unusable back seats, so I knew what I was getting. It's just me, my wife and the cats so the Z is fine for me. If you need to transport some older kids a G coupe might be better, but for young kids where a car seat is needed the G sedan is the better option. I've known a couple a of guys that quickly got tired of dealing with two doors and a car seat.

dasoupdude
Car: 2005 Z

amen. I'd say hold off till about 150k and see what you else you would be in the market for then.

Im aiming for a '14 is350 F sport in a few years when I'm ready for a 4dr. (keeping the Z forever)

The interior in those cars are amazing.

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

dasoupdude wrote:Im aiming for a '14 is350 F sport in a few years when I'm ready for a 4dr. (keeping the Z forever)

The interior in those cars are amazing.
+1

I don't care what people say - I think an Ultra White IS350 F Sport with red interior is massive amounts of sexy. A close second is a Q50S Black on Black with Shodo Aluminum finish and performance wheels and tires.

dasoupdude
Car: 2005 Z

RicerX wrote:
I don't care what people say - I think an Ultra White IS350 F Sport with red interior is massive amounts of sexy. A close second is a Q50S Black on Black with Shodo Aluminum finish and performance wheels .
YES. Its the only car I like with a red interior. My friend just picked one up and traded in his avalanche.

The q50 is alright, looks mean as hell. my only gripe is that it literally felt almost the same as an 08 G37s, minus all the gadgets and dual screens inside.

Wish they (including is350F) came stick.

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”