370Z electrical?-dash lights/gauges off and on, still drives-SES

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
DAddyoh370
Car: 09 370Z base w/sport manual, pearl white

I’ve newly discovered this forum and wish it was under better circumstances. Has anyone had experience with the dash lights and gauges going out? It happens randomly. Could be a couple times a minute or every 5 minutes. First the dash lights go out and the tach and speedo go to zero for a second then they fall all the way as if car was shut off. A couple seconds later it all goes back to normal. I’m also showing the SES light and the code is for no communication with hvac control module U0164, I’m assuming the problems are related or very coincidental. Is it possible the control module is bad and it’s shorting the system? It’s such a strange pattern the way the lights and gauges fail. Also important to point out the car runs and drives great when this happens but does feel like the alternator struggles or feels overloaded when the needles drop all the way. Battery and alternator have been tested and seem to be in perfect condition. Any advice? Has this happened to anyone else? I’ve got a 30 second video of this happening but not sure if I can attach. Thanks in advance!

DAddyoh370
Car: 09 370Z base w/sport manual, pearl white

I’ve already checked all fuses and pulled the one for the lock module under the steering column just to be safe.

chiefken
Car: 2020 Nissan 370Z 50th Edition

Good morning, I saw your post about your electrical issues with your Z car. I am experiencing a similar issue with my Z. Can you please tell me what you found causing the problem? Thank you. Ken V

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”