350z VQ35de Build options, need some help

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
Tanman2010
Car: 1995 240sx KA-T - Sold
1995 Eclipse GS-T - Sold
2003 Evolution VIII - Sold
2004 Track Edition 350z with Nismo R-Tune Package

Well im looking into two dif options in my 04 Z build. I was going to throw in the RB26dett but i changed my mind, there us no replacement for displacement, No reason to throw away a 3.5L and replace it for a 2.6L. So here are my thoughts on my new build. I want to go FI but she is my daily driver, so i want reliability and i dont want the car to be a pain in the azz to drive, also i want to be able to take it to the track one or twice a month and not have to worry about the car not making it home. So with that being said here are my two build ideas i have:

Option one:

HKS GT Supercharger kit
Nismo R-Tuned Headers
Nismo R-Tuned Cams
Nismo S-Tuned Exhaust
Nismo Clutch
Cosworth Intake Manifold
Hi Flow Cats (Prob magen Racing)
Tune

Option two:

Full Greddy TT Kit
Nismo Clutch
Cosworth Intake Manifold
Stillen Y Pipe
Agency Power Single Tip Ti Exhaust
Tune

jerryd1987
Car: 03 350z many mods inc next year

Competing forum link removed :nono:

dont post anything but read for a couple weeks. Reliability, FI, vq35 pick two thats what you get. Theres a reason alot of people are swaping in ls1's now cass went through i think 4? engines, alberto is on his third, one person i think is on number 6 i cant remember. Personally i like boosted performance over there simply because i like quick spool and its hard to beat the billet compressor wheels, you have a 62 wheel flowing like a 65 and it spools a little quicker due to being a little lighter combine that with dbb and you have a cheaper kit that spools quicker. Whatever you do it wont be cheap, reliability costs money and theres mayby 2 or 3 shops that have had very little trouble. Dynosty/injected performance, vinny ten racing, and sound performance are the only three shops i can think of who have had little or no problems from the vq's. Those are you best bets and you will pay a premium for it, that being said if you do get a good setup from one of those guys it should last awhile but when you start messing with stuff like this its a toss up they have little problems though so i would go with them. If you go to any other shop its a toss up and a possible time bomb, not trying to be negative but gtm, forged, ipp have all had problems and as such i personally wouldnt go to them.

Now if you look at that and decide you do want to try as there have been successful people out there, look at the kinetix manifold a few hundred less then cosworth with simlar performance do you wanna spend 300 bucks for 5 or mayby 10 hp? any sort of FI i give your cats 6 months, if you go with megan racing i give them 2 weeks megan dosnt make anything worthwhile for the vq test pipes are your best bet since no cats will last very long on FI. there are better options out there for headers then the nismo's strup makes ceramic coated stainless steel you can pick up for 700 bucks, top of the line are momentums running you about 1500 for the ceramic coated option. definately go for stainless though. Dont bother with the nismo cams either go with jwt, tomei, brian crower stage 2s and the brian crower spring and retainer kit. exhuast is what you like its all on sound, personally ive got a straight pipe after the turbo. for the power your going to try and make go for the jwt clutch flywheel combo nismo might be cheaper but it WILL NOT hold the power of FI. ummmm the hks supercharger kit good luck on as hks usa has closed it doors and as far as a tune go for osiris your looking at 500 bucks though just for the license plus whatever a shop charges you to tune it, 700 and you can try it yourself or if you decide you might wanna upgrade in the future buy a haltech or proefi48/128.

Bottom line is if you want FI on a Z expect to pay 15-20k depending on power goals and deals you can find. if you find some really good deals might be able to get away with under 15k but your gona be looking for deals for awhile. might be able to get away with a boosted performance basic kit for 10k roughly if you install it yourself since his base kit is just under 5k, hell the greddy kit with intercooler is 10k by itself new. like i said go to my350z.com and read its the biggest community as the sponsers respond regularly and there are a a** ton of people who have already tryed every route. Want a perfect example? my set up is costing me a little over 20k just for parts to get me to 700 rwhp thats not even install. if i only wanted 400, it would drop to right about 12-13k just for parts. beyond 450 the rods in the de bend 400 is the only safe spot and if you push the car hard even that is a toss up.

For a question like this you need to post your budget, if you can afford this and want the headache, albiet a very fun car to drive if there arnt too many problems, go for it. Def dont do a rb swap your looking at about the same cost, not in parts but in all the custom labor. if you only have about 10k go with a ls1 swap you will be making slightly more power, but alot more torque it is also more responsive to upgrades and the 4.8L engine one of the magazines has running at 1200 hp stock block and internals currently waiting for it to blow.

Edit crap i dint see how old this post was.

SullivanRacing06
Car: r32 gtst, 06 350z, r32 gtr, rs4 steaga, 04 350z, f350/6bt

if your wanting to make sick power from your vq im selling a brand new brian crower 4.1l stroker kit and darton sleeved block for 5500.00

i also have brian crower stage 3 cams and jwt spring n shim kit for 1000.00

cometic head gaskets, arp main n head studs also

call me at 352-665-2496.. we mite be able to work something out...

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”