350Z Twin Turbos.

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
GTR
Car: 05 Nissan Altima

Sorry Nevermind just read the How To Do Twins Right The First Time post.
Modified by GTR at 8:05 AM 9/4/2005

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

I have an SC not a TT but i researched this issue thouroughly prior to going forced induction.

On stocktiming you are definetly in danger of pretetonation ie. pinging.

Many timing solutions exists ( Emanage, J&S Ultra Safegrd etc etc) to adustiming in accordance with your boost+load.

Also unshielded stock crank angle sensor wires havc been fingered as a cuplrit in blwon twin turbo motors in our cars but this can be easily solved during installation.

Also the Stock ECU like many modern ECU's has a special advanced timing map, to which it may switch and this can cause pre-detonationon a turboed car easily.

This is wer a reflash by technosquare or by Altered Atmospheres comes in to address this issue.

Many folks have been driving turboed 350Z's with a good tune and some minor precautions for many miles of hard driving and no problems.

Others have had engine destroyed and the speculation on the why's has been rampant.

In most of these cases thos ecars were running on California or arizona reformulated "premium" one of the worst premiums in the country.

If you rummage thru this board on earlier 350Z pages, we had some detailed discussions involing the challenge of forced induction on our cars.

Many folks have decided to rebuild their engine internals with stronger components to include low compression pistons. (expensive)

Those cars have been running a LOT of power with no problems..

I curently use a centrifugal super charger.These are the Mods:

ATI ProCharger w/ 9psi pullyShielded CAS wireCustom Grounding KitAAM Y PipeHigh flow CatsJ&S Ultra SafeguardAAM ECU reflashB&M Short Shift KitGReddy AirFlow PlateEGT Gauge in Drivers door AC ventPlenum SpacerGreddy Oil Catch CanKoni 8241 adjustable shocksGreddy Blowoff Valve

I belive that set-up to the safe,but I also strongly considered a turbo set-up.A bit riskier according to some but you have real good midrange response that is superior to my current set-up.

Fred..

GTR

Hey Fred do you think single turbo would be an option? I mean id love a supercharger but it seems like itd rip out a minimum of 10K from my savings with all the precautions. Has your supercharged Z had any issues?

PalmerWMD

Not yet,..with my 9psi pully and all the other breathings Mods,it <is> running lean near redline though..

The Turbonetics single Turbo kit comes with injectors, Walbro and emanage ( equivalent) so I think the fuelsolution will be better.

I spent $6700 original isnstall (no gauges or clutch) this I felt was safe at 7 psi Pully, but including J&S Ultrasafeguard.

The single Turbo properly installed with timing/fuel solutions runs about 7.5K, but performs better than the basic SC kit from ATI or Vortec ( Vortec is cheaper tho).

If you want to do FI, but not spend too much The Vortec seems to be the cheapest solution thats also safe.The Stllen Stage2 is also worthy of considerationj IMO.

If I were to do it again,I might go either with Procharger again or with Single Turbo

GTR

Oh ok, sounds like uve graduatued with a PHD in Z's LOL. Thanks man i appreciate it. Btw i saw your Z in the ride of the month section, Its really nice! Do you plan do keep the body the same?( I love sleepers)

PalmerWMD

GTR:Yes The body will stay the same.

Fred..

PS: I edited my last post a bit for clarity

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”