350Z Tire feathering news report

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
NISTECH

Chet the Feathering occured on both sides of the tire but was more pronounced on the inside [toe out]. They brough the toe in tighter and the new specs are not out but in at 1mm.

Sorry guys I have not posted this yet I do have the specs for both 03 and 04 on both the G and Z but have not posted them cause I need to still look at the Tsb and be sure the info is accurate when I do post it. I have been hella busy lately at work and havent had the chance to research it. Again I appoligize.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Dont apologize Scott, work is more important that humoring us gearheads..

Fred..

NISTECH

Fred I still feel an obligation to you guys..lol

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

Scott:Cool, gotcha. Make sense they'd put more Toe in (positive toe) to reduce inner edge feathering...Thanks for the correction.

Keep up the hard work man, let us know what you find if you get a second -CHet

NISTECH

Printed the alignment specs from the bulletin but left them at work...doh!! but I do remember what it said, tonight I will put up all I have on the specs.[If I can stay away from my 240,I have not been getting alot done on it over the last week] The delio is this, spec is 0 to 2 mm , 1mm being nominal. Its the same as the specs in both 03 and 04 service manuals. But the preffered setting[as per the TSB] is 2mm with 0 tolorance. In other words they want it dead on 2 mm toe-in.

NISTECH

Ok finally got it in gear and got this info loaded. extreamly sorry for the delay.

We will start with the owners manual info. this is a comparision of the 2. Note the wheels bases [circles in red] On the G35 it is the same wheel base for both the coupe and the sedan. but on the Z it is a shorter wheel base, in short the G35 is a better drifter.....ooops wrong forum The difference in wheel base could be part of the problem as the wheel base coupled with steering axis inclination [SAI] can cause above average tire feathering. The wear occurs generally during turning [scrubbing]. This is the reason that alignements need to be as tight to spec as possible. The tires are toed in even before the alignment is done to correct the issue. The problem is on turns the SAI changes your toe as the tires "lean" when turning changing the angle in which the tires hit the asphalt[patch] creating an accelerated edge feathering. The toe per the TSB is being brought in more to aliveiate as much of this excessive scrub as possible. [This is not explained in the TSB but based on theroy of patch contact of the tire during turns.]

I do not have the TSb as I forgot it yet again but it really is not neccesary as it only discusses toe on the alignment page and the instruction is to take it to max toe-in with 0 tolorance [2mm +/- 0.0mm]

Without further ado here are the technical charts.

NISTECH

Update: Found out something interesting today from an engineer. The early 04 used the same tire as the 03. The tire has been redisigned and is installed on a leter production date 04. Not sure on the exact prodate. BUT here is the deal, The edge tread ring is different then the original run of tires. They have changed it in a fasion that the individual blocks of treads are no longer individual. If you were to look at the tires outer tread ring on an early tire the blocks dividers go all the way to the first ring divder from the next tread ring in. On the new design the block dividers end half way in on the tread ring. This is supposedly a fix for the problem in which alignment angles dont have to be so tight.

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

This does not effect the 05 Z, correct?

-ChetGOOD INFO MAN! I'd say we should sticky those specs just for refference purposes.

NISTECH

No it doesn't effect 05 MY as they already have the updated tire, and we are aslo not seeing any customer concerns on 05's for the issue. There is on going investigation right now in engineering on the 04 concern. So those of you with 04's be patient, as tough as it might be, but they are working on it.

PalmerWMD

Awesome stuff Scott!

Fred..

NISTECH

Does any of you have the original tires on your cars? If so, if you post a picture looking down on the tread of the tire I could give you guys a description via photos of the differences.

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Let me just say I appreciate all thats posted here, as I'm about to make a large financial decision. I was considering purchasing an 03 Z until I read the concerns about the tire issue. However, this thread has enlightened me a good bit, knowing that the problem can be solved with a toe adjustment.

My question is, if the tires for the Z were redesigned for 04 to correct the problem, would it be a sufficient solution to get those particular tires onto an 03 Z and not worry about the feathering issue anymore?

NISTECH

If the tires are ever replaced then you would get the redesigned tires as the old ones have been discontinued.

Just a side note about your sig pic. You know what that sign means dont you?

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

No, I haven't a clue what the sign means...I'm guessing its for semi-truck drivers? I saw it on a really, really rural road in the middle of florida and found it humerous. But thats besides the point, what does it mean?

PalmerWMD

frapjap wrote: My question is, if the tires for the Z were redesigned for 04 to correct the problem, would it be a sufficient solution to get those particular tires onto an 03 Z and not worry about the feathering issue anymore?
The tire solution involved a nylon reinforced shoulder according to some sources.By itself may not be enough but may slow down any camber related inside wear..(this is normal for asports car, but the cupping/feathering isnt)

the realignment ( if not already performed) must be done by a <competent> shop as I am sure you have gleaned from these pages.

Even with the updated tires this alignment should still be performed.also consider this news for alignment:zerothread?id=130366

Fred..

NISTECH

frapjap wrote: No, I haven't a clue what the sign means...I'm guessing its for semi-truck drivers? I saw it on a really, really rural road in the middle of florida and found it humerous. But thats besides the point, what does it mean?
Your right its for truck drivers, It means they dont want them using thier jeg brake in the area as it disturbs peoples peace and quite. You usually see those signs in the snobby neighbor hoods where everyones little world is perfect. The Jeg brake is the rapid rumbling noise you hear from trucks on down hill slopes when they let of the gas. It basically creates back compression on the engine [ It saves the brakes on the truck]

Fred the actual edge tread is changed the last ring of tread on the tire has a break only half way across the block of the tread ring. This way there wont be the heal toe feathering. There is essentially nothing to feather since the tread ring is complete all the way around the tire.

Ish
Car: Daytona Blue 350z Track

Got my tsb in the mail today for Nissan Corporate... guess they're doin ok in my book

though I've never noticed the tire feathering prob... and my dealer says that the alignment is all good...

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”