350Z intake duct assembly

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
SDRonEbay
Car: Cars, trucks, cooking, reading

Some guys have been buying up all of these intake tubes for there G35 coupes and sedans. There is a performance difference that's been noted by several members but I've not heard anyone from NICO make a comparison of the two intakes. The reason this may be important to you guys aside from the performance factor, is the price. The ducts are normally $108 but NICO price is $70. It struck me as odd that none of the NICO G35 owners have ventured out to upgrade their coupe or sedan. Check it out when you have time.

The part number is 16576-CD000.

SDRonEbay

I just wanted to bump this because the ducts have gone up to $75 for all but they really are worth it.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Cool,:cool:

Sounds like an easy inexpensive upgrade!

Fred...:)

SDRonEbay

You got it Fred.

There are other small things that we're testing. Changing out the engine cover, Y-pipe, ECU, etc. We're trying to increase the hp by swapping for stock Z parts before going aftermarket.

Galle

Jayson - you've got an email from another D/FW-ite... :) I'll give this intake a shot...

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Galle let me know what you think once you get it installed. I'm pretty interested if it is an easy upgrade that won't void the warranty.

Ryan

Galle

I oughta have one in my hands tomorrow. Install will probably be over the weekend, as the car is going in for some paint work tomorrow, as well, and won't be back in my garage 'til then.

juiceman

Try insulating the duct and you will see some more increase because of the cooler air you will get a very slight increase in HP

rydwhite

Galle, have you got yours installed yet?

Could you provide a write up of the install and maybe some pics of the ducts?

Galle

Yes! I have mine installed as of this weekend. I could do a write-up and take some pictures in the near future...I am VERY slammed at work right now, so I don't have a whole heckuva lot of time at the moment to do it.

Nutshell - VERY easy installation.

Unclamp filter housing, free the rear half (undo one screw).Undo three clamps and one screw holding stock duct in place.Take out the old duct.Put in the new duct.Reconnect clamps.Reconnect filter box.

You use all the same parts, nothing new needed, nothing left over. The fit isn't an EXACT 100% replacement...but pretty close. I'll say about 95%. It's a little bit of a wrestle to pull everything into line with the new one, but once it's in and the clamps are secured, it's not going anywhere.

Performance improvement is subtle, but there. I did the swap alongside a K&N panel filter upgrade, so I can't necessarily say how much is the filter and how much is the tract, but the combination of the two does certainly yield an engine that has a nice smooth purr, and feels more willing to get up to the higher numbers on the tach. :) Plus, once you yank out that old tommy-gun looking duct / resonator, you'll REALLY see side-by-side the Z advantage.

All in all, for $75 from Jayson, you won't be disappointed.

Pics to come sooner or later. I don't have a digital camera, but can get my mitts on one, probably.

rydwhite

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a great easy cheap mod to do. I would like to see a couple of pics, so whenever you get the time post a few.

Galle

Cheap and easy, yes. I did it in maybe half an hour, and that was with stopping to explain everything going on to my onlooking fiancee...

One thing to toss out as a question to anyone else using the K&N panel filter. Did you use those little bump-stops that came with it (assuming you got the same one that I did)? The filter seemed to sit snug into the stock airbox area just fine without it, and doesn't feel like it moves or wiggles when I poke at it through the "POWER DUCT!" opening on the intake assembly. Any opinions?

jtesensky
Vendor
Car: 2005 QX56, 2002 QX4

I have the 350z duct installed on my G35C without any other air filter mods. I notice this, off the line I can feel a difference, although at high freeways speeds the acceleration seems to lag, so we called a factory engineer. Verdict: the G35 stock duct is designed with a upper & lower resonator to decrease noise upon acceleration, but this resonator also provides better throttle response at high speeds due to the already present volume of air circulating inside the duct. I drive surface streets (by choice) so I will leave the 350z duct in, but if I were a freeway driver I would go stock, just makes sense.-Joe

juiceman

I find the volume of air thing questionable

the engine uses huge amounts of air. The resonator is not that big and it does not change in size. Realistically if it did act like a baloon then it would only give an injection not an additional flow like a turbo or something..

Following fluid mechanics (if I remember correctly) that in a perfect world the rule would be bernoulis equation. That flow remains constant (perfect world) no turbulance etc and the fluid (air )velocities change with the different size of the openings (resonator). The airflow is slower in the resonator but the sound effects are similar to a muffler design. Less restrictive mufflers are usually louder.

I think the difference is in the flow and how the car maps the fuel

I am sure Q45tech will chime in but I guess that at the low end the engine is getting more air than due to reduced restriction acting like a slightly forced induction. but at higher RPMS the fuel map must lean it slightly so that the energy is reduce due to the higher air/fuel ratio.

I guess the Z is tuned sigltly different for the characteristics of the tube.

I guess that I talked myself out of this mod and will probably just insulate the tube to reduce the air temp going into the engine.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”