350Z Getting a transplant

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
3d914
Car: 2003 350Z Coupe

New 350Z owner here . . .

Thought I'd share my progress giving this 03 350Z a transplant. After my daughter had an oil consumption issue that was overlooked, the motor is minus one rod and has modified air intake at the back of the block.

Here's the silver performance model I bought off her to install a JDM motor in.

Here's a shot of the motor getting some pre-work. Inspection of the motor so far is promising. I did a cold-wet compression test to make sure it was well above the minimum, checked the valve clearance, flushed the cooling lines, and checked and resealed the oil pan. I'll also be thoroughly cleaning the intake system and adding an oil breather catch can.

Aside form some minor wear the car is in decent shape for the 140K miles on it. Progress will be a little slow since I'm helping her replace a motor in her MR2 spyder - upgrading to the ZZ2.

Must be too new to post pics, so here's the links instead.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UQ4Gg6VAyHNTAsQN6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/i5JQXdRhb9Z4n1xD9

macgiver

mac ,3d914- that motor you found LOOKS impeccable , another guy posted about this same time, blew his Pathfinder engine , and had questions. May I ask - how much you paid for clean looking JDM motor ??

3d914
Car: 2003 350Z Coupe

mac, with around 50K miles it was $1700 at JDM Chicago. They can be found for lower cost - but will be higher mileage. It made no sense to me though to buy something the same age as the car.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Unless it included an odometer it's mileage unknown. Sometimes low miles, sometimes not, I've seen plenty of the pallet motors represented ad "Low miles" upon teardown you find oversized bearings and other work not likely done to a "low miles" engine. Glad you got a good one.

also pic's not working.

mrwrolguy
Car: 2004 White 350z Touring Edition

I can see pics... I like that color :dblthumb: .. Just did a transplant... Never worked on a nissan before. It wasnt too bad.

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”