350z differential help!

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
krayton

Hi. So just got an 04 base model 350z. it came equipped with a kaaz.

Now this is a DD so i wanted to put a stock diff back in. I picked up a diff on craigslist. problem with this one is that it didnt come with the output shafts/flanges.

Now I tested the diff with it just sitting outside the car (one from craigslist). I spun it in a direction and the other side spun the same way. I do this test on my 240 so i assumed it would be the same. (if the diff spins in the same direction its a vlsd vs if the other side spins opposite its an open diff.

so research on installing a kaaz says that they are a direct fit into a vlsd. where as if you install it in a base model youll need vlsd output shafts. so im assuming the output shafts currently installed on the Z are vlsd output shafts.

so i thought this would work. I thought the diff i bought from craigs was a vlsd. so i assumed the output shafts would fit right in.

dropped the diff and went to install the output shafts but they dont fit. no problem removing them from the diff with the kaaz. but when trying to put them in the new diff they just dont go in all the way. they come to a stop and stick out about 1/2inch. for sure they are all the way in.

ended up putting the output shafts back into the kaaz equipped diff (no problem installing it back in) and reinstalling it so the car is drivable.

please help!

any way to tell what the diff is that i got from craigslist. do open diffs still spin in the same direction? could it be a nismo one? or are vlsd output shafts different sizes throughout the years?

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

the spin test doesn't work with viscut units because of the way they work, viscour diffes have unequal lenght output shafts, these are form an r230 but you get the ideaolder VLSD's have a sasher int he center you can see when you look in oneside and otu the other that there is a washer floating around in the middle, on an oen diff you should be able to see all the way through, at least thats the way the older R200's were built

sounds liek they swappin vlsd shafts and you got an open diff as advertised, now you just need the output shafts

I gotta say you are the one person ont he planet taht woudl rather have an pen diff than a kaaz

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

evildky wrote:I gotta say you are the one person ont he planet taht woudl rather have an pen diff than a kaaz
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe its a maintenance thing.

One option to consider is to get the open diff shafts, sell the Kaaz on FeeBay and put the money towards a Quaife HLSD.

evildky

maintenance? you only need to use the propper fluid with the kaaz and your done, the hlsd will lock harder and if you unload a tire become an pen,if the kaaz is too tight clutches can be removed to reduce breakaway torque

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

Yes, maintenance.

I was actually referring to the added cost but didn't actually say cost. Granted, its not much - but its an added cost and something else to take care of. Kaaz recommends fluid changes every 5000 miles which is huge overkill for a daily driver, then there's potential rebuilds of clutch packs (once again depending on how its driven). This is the same reason I mentioned the Quaife as its maintenance free, guaranteed for life and virtually transparent in performance to the driver. As for the merits of a clutch type vs a HLSD -I'l paraphrase Chief Brody, "I think we're going to need a bigger thread."

Besides, its the only reason I could come up with for wanting on open diff over an LSD.

krayton

thanks. gotta find some open diff output shafts now

and you all are crazy. its a DD. i enjoy the ac and my stereo. if i wanted to drive a fast, loud, clunky a** car, id drive my fully built 240. i dont need both wheels spinning as im not racing to work or to the grocery store

evildky

maybe the kaaz switchable isn't ideal for street use but a viccous of full time clutch type with a low brakeaway torque can be very smoothe and is what nissna has used on present and past Z's

redsx13
Car: 93 240sx 03 350z

krayton wrote:thanks. gotta find some open diff output shafts now

and you all are crazy. its a DD. i enjoy the ac and my stereo. if i wanted to drive a fast, loud, clunky a** car, id drive my fully built 240. i dont need both wheels spinning as im not racing to work or to the grocery store
I have some output shafts, for you. (emailed) just let me know

Citrus

Your best bet would be to pick up an entire base pumpkin and sell your kaaz pumpkin or even trade + cash. You should be able to make some $$$ in the process of swapping down to a base diff.

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”