350z daytime running lights

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
sburwash
Car: 350z

Has anyone installed daytime running lights on a 2006 350z, The car originated from the usa, I've subsequently imported it into canada. Do the canadian 350's use the marker lights for DLR's or the low beams? strvr

waterhouse

I am in the same situation. My understanding is, it is a module which connects to the existing lights. The module can be bought at Canadian tire who will install as well or at Napa partsI am curious to where you can get the instr gauges converted Miles to KM. Parts Source have the kit($70.00) for the lights
Modified by waterhouse at 4:48 PM 4/24/2007

askoric
Car: 2007 350Z Roadster Touring

Any Luck with DRL? I just brought a 07 350Z Roadster and need to get DRL installed.

Alex

mike613ottawa

I'm in the exact same situation. I was highly advised by a number of people to NOT get the universal DRL kit from Canadian Tire as they don't work properly with Nissans and Infinitys. I ordered the DRL kit from the dealer (~$115) and am waiting for it to arrive. I know the dealer wants about 2 hours of labour. I am curious if anybody has any further directions as to how to install it. I'm assuming not as there are no replies as of yet...

Mike.

askoric

My 2 Nissan dealers here in Mississauga tell me their DRL kit wont work on US cars as wiring/electronics is completely different. Now here is possible solution I am working on, to the side of the Xenon light is a bulb that comes on when you turn on the parking light package (1st turn of light switch), this is good enough for my Canadian Tire Official inspector to qualify as DRL, so I'm having dealer look into having these two lights come on with when I turn on ignition and I should be good to go.

mike613ottawa

I just ended up hooking up a relay to trigger the parking lights when there's power going through the ignition wire. According to Canadian Tire, this will be sufficient to pass the inspection.

Mike.

blaurence
Car: 2004 350Z Roadster

That sounds like the fix for me. Where did you source out the relay and was it difficult to wire in?

inverdon
Car: 2004 350z

hi, how many relays did you installed. is it difficult? does it affect the engine service light on all the time? thanks. I have mine done but the engine light show3ed after a day or so. then we had it disconnected and the light was out. it tell us that the computer somehow knows additional circuit was added.

rick
Modified by inverdon at 10:44 PM 6/4/2007

inverdon

askoric wrote:Any Luck with DRL? I just brought a 07 350Z Roadster and need to get DRL installed.

Alex
hi Alex,pls let me know if the dealer did a good job on your drl. mine was done but the engine service light MIL went on after a day or so. it was hook up to the low beam. after disconnecting the drl the service engine light never came on.thanks,rick

askoric

I took my Z to Dixie Nissan in Mississauga, they tried to install DRL relay from ignition switch to turn on parking lights but blew a fuse, and hence service light came on, so they installed the DRL relay properly, now the lights work fine. I would have preferred the parking lights on rather than Zenon lights. total cost about $325.00

mike613ottawa

I hooked up a relay in the driver's side kick panel (just to the left of the foot rest.) The relay is connected to the parking lights wire, the ignition wire, constant power and ground. When the relay gets a signal from the ignition wire (i.e. when the car is running,) it feeds constant power to the parking lights. This worked flawlessly for me, met the "import requirements," and best of all, only cost about $10. I'd be happy to elaborate a little more if required...

Mike.

inverdon

mike613ottawa wrote:I hooked up a relay in the driver's side kick panel (just to the left of the foot rest.) The relay is connected to the parking lights wire, the ignition wire, constant power and ground. When the relay gets a signal from the ignition wire (i.e. when the car is running,) it feeds constant power to the parking lights. This worked flawlessly for me, met the "import requirements," and best of all, only cost about $10. I'd be happy to elaborate a little more if required...

Mike.
hi Mike,thanks for the post. so you only install one relay. how long was it running now. is the engine light never affected. where did you get the relay and what speccs is it. what year is your 350z. mine is 2004 coupe. most obliged if you ellaborate the wiring so I could copy this.thannks again,rick

inverdon

askoric wrote:I took my Z to Dixie Nissan in Mississauga, they tried to install DRL relay from ignition switch to turn on parking lights but blew a fuse, and hence service light came on, so they installed the DRL relay properly, now the lights work fine. I would have preferred the parking lights on rather than Zenon lights. total cost about $325.00
hi there, I am surpised the dealer install that drl to zenon lights. the canadian car running lights is on low beam. rick

mike613ottawa

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delay. I'm not sure exactly how the shop hooked up your DRL's, but I'll tell you how I did mine on my '03 Z. I felt it was unwise to tamper with the HID system, and I didn't feel like designing a circuit to power the high-beams with only partial power. My method simply lights the parking lights (small bulbs in the headlight housing) when the ignition has power (car is running.) This is a *similar* method to how the newer Z's work with the bi-xenon lights. You will only need one automotive relay. First off, you will need access to the fusebox in the driver's side kick panel. Locate the red/blue wire (red wire with blue stripe.) This is the parking lights wire. Tap off this wire and connect it to pin 30 on your relay. Then remove the panel below the steering column to allow access to the ignition harness. Locate the black/red wire (black wire with red stripe.) This is the ignition wire. Tap off this wire and connect it to pins 86 AND 87 on your relay. Lastly, connect pin 85 on your relay to ground (any piece of metal that connects to the frame of the car.) Pin 87a on the relay is unused. Now when the car is running, the parking lights should turn on automatically. I have had this set up for several weeks now with no problems. I hope this helps. Let me know if you require further clarification!

Cheers,Mike.

coolspeaker

Did any of you guys bought your z's in the states? what taxes do u have to pay. and is the warranty void or honoured in canada?.. any links on steps on how to bring one in canada? Is it worth it? Thanks

pooch1

Thanks for info but what is the relay p/n? is it available at?Ive used the CT module on other vehicles on the headlight harness using just the orange lights which has worked.Your solution inside the kickpanel sounds better.Anyway if you have a part # or DIN or source for relay that would be good.Thanks

mike613ottawa

Coolspeaker - From what I remember, you have to pay 6.1% duty, GST, PST, ~$100 A/C tax, and around $180 to register it with the RIV. Unlike some other auto manufacturers, Nissan does honour the U.S. warranty in Canada. For further info, I would start at the RIV web page - http://www.riv.ca

Pooch1 - Any standard automotive relay will do the trick. You can get them at Canadian Tire or any electronics store. Here's a generic photo - http://www.opelclub.com/assets...y.jpg

Cheers,Mike.

Roadzilla
Car: 2003 350Z Touring, 2008 Lexus RX 400h

I may not have understood the question, but I leave my headlights on at all times. My headlights automatically turns off after about 4 minutes of the enging being shut off.

pooch1

Thanks,I just got the Canadian Tire drl module and wired the parking -running lights,it passed federal inspection and everything working ok.Cost is 25.00 from ct.It involves pulling the right wheel,removing the inner fender liner and locating the green wirefrom parking light bulb,confirmed it was power wire with 12 volt tester,tapped into it and connected it to yellow wire from module.The only other you need to connect is red from module to battery positive and black wire from module to the nearest good ground.The green wire from module goes to any ignition pack head.I cable tied it to #1 head and tested it.Lights come on 4 seconds after engine fires and delays 10 seconds on off.You stay away completely from Zenons so its actually less wear and tear than the factory setup.Everthing else works as per factory including all the regular settings.Located the module on right front strut tower beside main wiring harness.I will take some photos of installation and try to post.Ive done the same drl module on a Pt cruiser with the same good result.Email me at [email protected] and I will forward photos when I get a non rainy day for pics.

pooch1

[QUOTE=pooch1]Thanks,I just got the Canadian Tire drl module and wired the parking -running lights,it passed federal inspection and everything working ok.Cost is 25.00 from ct.It involves pulling the right wheel,removing the inner fender liner and locating the green wirefrom parking light bulb,confirmed it was power wire with 12 volt tester,tapped into it and connected it to yellow wire from module.The only other you need to connect is red from module to battery positive and black wire from module to the nearest good ground.The green wire from module goes to any ignition pack head.I cable tied it to #1 head and tested it.Lights come on 4 seconds after engine fires and delays 10 seconds on off.You stay away completely from Zenons so its actually less wear and tear than the factory setup.Everthing else works as per factory including all the regular settings.Located the module on right front strut tower beside main wiring harness.I will take some photos of installation and try to post.Ive done the same drl module on a Pt cruiser with the same good result.Email me at [email protected] and I will forward photos when I get a non rainy day for pics. [/[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]QUOTE]I have had a ton of emails on this so,Ill try to get pics soon,just been busy since I got back.To clarify again,the Hamsar module from Canadian Tire is used.The only wires you need are the red fused wire to your battery.The black ground wire to a good ground,found one on right strut tower.The yellow wire that is run to the green wire running from back of right headlight assembly.And the green wire from module that is strapped to the head of any ignition pack head.Make sure you strap it to the head(high voltage) and not to the lead wire(low voltage) or it will not sense the ignition being on and will not switch the lights on.I shrink tubed all the exposed connections before I finished.Please realize the right wheel assembly is removed to gain access to the right inner fender liner,the liner is removed which allows access to the back of the light wiring.Ive done this to 3 cars so far and they all work great.Email me at [email protected] and I will send you the pics,took them today. [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Modified by pooch1 at 9:39 AM 4/26/2008

islanddocshopper
Car: 2006 Nissan 350z Grand Touring Roadster

great website and postings. I'm a new Z owner and just recently imported a 2006 Z Grand touring roadster from L.A. I was amazed at how easy it was. On the topic of DRL, I decided not to play with the existing lighting system and found a great set of LED driving lights on ebay. They are low profile, small, and consist on 10 LEDs in each light. I installed them in the front grill and they look great. Power source is from the fuse box on the left side of the driver side kick panel. There are a couple of blank slots that are power on only when the ignition is on. The LEDs are bright but consume very little power so a 5 amp fuse can be used. Hope this helps and glad to be a site member.

w.c.

douimet
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z

I recommend the PlanetSafe DRL-2005-LX Turn Signal Daytime Running Lights conversion kit from here: http://www.daytime-running-lig....html. I like the kit because it uses the amber turn signals rather than the Xenon headlights. I just received the kit this week. Once I get it installed I'll post details on the install.

michael45
Car: Nissan 350z

Connected the module like you described, must have done something wrong because the park lights don't light up unless I step on the accelerator to increase rpm's. Any ideas?

MTLbroker

Hello. Got pics? Thanks.

michael45
Car: Nissan 350z

Works fine now, just need to make sure the green wire was attached to a switch that had 12V when car running.

Supercharged Probe
Car: 97 ford probe GT + 06 350z

The easiest thing to do is to get some cheap fog light and run them as DRL. I just imported a 350z and that's what I did. It cost me about $30 for everything and took about 1h. Nissan wanted $350 for the conversion, and the best thing about this is that you don't have to mess around with any of the original wiring/cuircuits.

You will need:

Fog lights (all the wiring you will need is in here)12V DC realy (get it from Canadian tire it's $5)Some basic tools (crimpers, wire cutters.. ect.)

I wired up my lghts to the realy and have the realay turn on via washer fluid level sensor. It has a constant 12V supply while the car is running. You can find the fuse for it right beside the battery.

I just pluged a wire in with the fuse and that gives my relay the signal to turn the lights on.

It doesn't get any simpler than that, just make sure that your fog lights are more than 6" above ground.

canmark
Car: 2005 350z roadster touring

douimet wrote:I recommend the PlanetSafe DRL-2005-LX Turn Signal Daytime Running Lights conversion kit from here: http://www.daytime-running-lig....html. I like the kit because it uses the amber turn signals rather than the Xenon headlights. I just received the kit this week. Once I get it installed I'll post details on the install.
I'm also looking at the drl-2005 E. The wiring diagram shows a dual filament configuration. Is the turn signal on the 350z single filament?If so can you tap off the parking light to get the connection for the white wire to the module?

dasoupdude
Car: 2005 Z

hmph..talk about being raised from the dead.

id get the daytimes if it was a xenon color, looks really good on the mkv gti's

inverdon

hi there.. how did you make out on installing the drl? any problem?thanks

canmark
Car: 2005 350z roadster touring

I installed the kit, it works great and passed inspection.

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”