350 Baby

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
jefferson240
Car: soccer, cars

Has anyone put in a, small block 350 into an s13, I'm thinking about it, besides the massive amount of work, its much better then the sr20det, or the ca18de. to get the same amount of power as the 350 with either of those engines you half to through about four grand into a good turbo. Bigger is the way to go.

Spectre
Car: 1995 240sx se

There are a few old z cars that have v-8s in em, but a 240 may not have enough room. You'll probably end up having to cut your firewall. Bigger is not necessarily better, your car will be weighed down. Still, I would like to see a 240 with a v-8 under the hood.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

uhmm, V8 in 240 = no more handling. Completely has to be a drag car then. Throw the weight distribution right out the door.

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

biggie wrote:uhmm, V8 in 240 = no more handling. Completely has to be a drag car then. Throw the weight distribution right out the door.
Not necessarily, the LS1 weighs roughly the same as a Mazda 13BT (with turbo, intercooler, and piping, etc). The FC chassis is also very similar to the S13 chassis. They make LS1 swap kits for FC's, and it does not throw off the handling much at all. I would suspect that a KA24DE weighs the same, if not more, than a 13BT. Therefore, it should not change handling *that* much.

ninjak84
Car: S13, Z32, Titan

i would have troubles putting an american engine into my little japanese car...dont confuse this with being closed minded though.i mean, i DID suggest a supra engine in another thread.... :D

240dreamer
Car: 95 240sx SE

I heard of someone putting a 305 in their japanese car but they soon decided it was a bad idea and swapped a new engine back in for the american one. I don't know why they did it or what car, but i'll try to find out what it did to the handling and the weight ratio.

Jubs180
Car: my 240sx, my computers, my anime collection, learning spanish and japanese, and of course, My beauti

I wish I could find the old link I had..it was a track car.. maybe scca open class? but it was a s13 coupe with a built 350 in it.

ninjak84

would you guys honestly ever realistically put a 350 in your nissans?its cool to dream and all, and i LOVE hearing of what people do with their cars, but i mean, it seems easier to skip all the compatibility and other issues and just go with a nissan engine instead..... or at least a japanese engine to match the car

i would be worried about what a heavy and powerful american engine would do to my frame..... i know its probably better for the frame than my previous suggestion though (2JZ) :D

Jubs180
Car: my 240sx, my computers, my anime collection, learning spanish and japanese, and of course, My beauti

my one day future project is to swap a q45 v8 into an S13 hatch back :)

one day... oh yes....one day it will happen.

and if it throws the car off balance..i'll throw some weight in the trunk area ;)

-Dan

its my idea damnit!and if someone else does it first....i'll.... be extremely jealous

fst240sx
Car: cars

instead of a V8 into a S13, how bout a '87 GN motor? have it fully built, alluminum heads, bigger turbo and intercooler, etc, etc. there would be more room in the engine bay. than, as for a transmission, either a modified 200r4 (if yours a auto) or a 6 speed. if i'm not mistaken, the 3.8liter V6 is lighter than a 350.

SlowFiveOh
Car: drag racing, music

they sell a 5.0 swap for miata's. they still handle good and road race competitively. i think it is possible if there is room to squeeze it in. almost anything is possible with $$$.

ninjak84

i would get chest pains if a miata ever beat me...... ANY miata....

Daunttless

I always wanted to see a 20B cosmo in a Miata roll up on corvettes. Paint it like Chris Kattan's Miata from "Corky Romano" and put a rainbow sticker on the back or something. Any respectable corvette or viper owner or what not would get out of the car and commit seppuku on the side of the road after having beat by a rainbow Miata. : )

Jubs180

hahahahah*laughs*

that would be so sweet though :)

only way I would drive that thing is if i had limo tint

and I remember seeing something on TV about a 'Monster Miata'I think it had a 350 in it.some company that does the conversions.

-Dan

johnsharpe
Car: Car, Motorcycles, technology

There was as a shop ~5mins from my house that did Miata conversions (and Cobra replicas) and a guy up the street used to own a Monster Miata. It had a blown Ford 302, Tremec trans, and 9" rear end with 4.11 gears.

All I remember is that even 8 houses away, I could hear the car start in the morning. That and the dyno stamp on the engine: 367hp.... :D

John

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

fst240sx wrote:instead of a V8 into a S13, how bout a '87 GN motor? have it fully built, alluminum heads, bigger turbo and intercooler, etc, etc. there would be more room in the engine bay. than, as for a transmission, either a modified 200r4 (if yours a auto) or a 6 speed. if i'm not mistaken, the 3.8liter V6 is lighter than a 350.
I've thought of this too, but I honestly don't think there would be enough room in an S13 engine bay. The turbo/downpipe takes up plenty of space, as does the intake and associated intercooler piping. Awesome engine (don't ask me how I know) but the stock hp rating was 245 (ok, underrated, I know) which is not much more than an S14 SR20DET. More torque, but I just don't see how it would be done.

Have you ever seen anyone bolt a 6 sp to an LC2?

fst240sx
Car: cars

i'm pretty sure a '87 GN engine would fit. my dad dropped in a all alluminum Buick 215 V8 into a '66 MG with headers, and ford 8" rear end and a th350 tranny (i think). he had many customation to do for this swap, like cutting holes in the wheel well for the headers and many many others. it ran very well and strong but was haveing minor problems with the engine. i had an options of keeping it and fixing it, but no back seats for passengers.

trying to say, a 3.8turbo engine would fit into the engine bay of a 240sx. for starters, take everything out and go on from there. i dont think it would be that hard, just some cutting here and there, and there you go...

hurddawg
Car: anything with 4 wheels.

doesn't the 3.8L V6 have an iron block? I'm sure it did. My guess is that 3.8L and LS1/LS6 weight roughly the same.

M_LAVER
Car: Anything mechanical

North Star.... Caddy's small v8, light weigh, and plenty of power stock.

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

M_LAVER wrote:North Star.... Caddy's small v8, light weigh, and plenty of power stock.
And FWD. And blow headgaskets like Neon's.

hurddawg
Car: anything with 4 wheels.

^^

this is sooooo true. my grandad had a caddy deville w/ the northstar....blew the gasket and died (he ran it out of coolant)

my uncle has a older fleetwood with a older caddy V8 (4.9L, northstar?) blew the gasket.

Juiceit
Car: cars, cars, cars, girls, and cars

i really am going to put a 350 in my 90 240sx fastback, the project starts Jan 2003 and motor and trans are being worked on right now. as for frame bending....i had to go to a welding shop to build me a rollcage and add a few frame connectors. im doing what i can till motor is ready to go in to car. as for throwing off the handeling.....not really just remember the farther back the motor in the bay the better the handeling so that solves that problem but it will mainly be for drag racing....by the way im new and Hi .......nice message board

Team503
Car: '92 S13, '02 CBR600F4i

Juiceit - You might hit rx7club.com and find Jim LaBrae (username is jimlab) - he's sticking a built 350 into an FD. Drool over the motor.

He might be able to alert you to the snags you'll run into in the process.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress - I'd love to see how it turns out.

One of my future considerations for a project is a 240Z with either the VG30DETT, RB26DETT, or an LS6, so I'm intensely curious about the process.

Only pieces of advice I can give are these:Above all, have a daily driver.Be willing to take the extra time to do it right - cutting corners in a project is NEVER worth it.Ignore what others say - it's your car, and if you want to shove a Cummins turbo-diesel V-10 in there, you do it.DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT: Buy a digicam, maybe even a MiniDV, and document every step of the way. Hell, once you've done it, you may find more interest in people purchasing copies of that stuff.If you have any custom parts made, GET PLANS (blueprints, templates, whatever). If they didn't make plans before, have them make plans AFTER the part is made. That way, if there's a lot of interest in the piece, you can duplicate it and sell it for a tidy profit with minimal trouble. CAD/CAM files are best.

Like I said, keep us posted! Hell, if you do start getting pics and vid, let me know, I may be able to have it hosted for free for you.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”