320 Reassembly Help

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
nukeday

I've reinstalled the engine in the '64, but now I'm wondering if I might have overlooked something.

The clutch/pp/flywheel were all still attached to the engine, and this is the engine that came out of this truck.

In the bottom of one of the coffee cans of bolts and so forth, were several of these things. What are they? What is their purpose?

Thanks!

IMH

I don't recall the actual name but basically, they're lock washers.

nukeday

OK, a couple of photos of the work I did yesterday. I also am discovering that this truck seems to be really, really unmolested. Both headlights are stamped with TOSHIBA and the front tires say 'MADE IN JAPAN'. I'll have to check on the miles, but I want to say about it's showing about 70K. Even the floormat looks to be original equipment.

Lots of photos, sorry for the bandwidth. I thought the headlights and tires were rather fascinating.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Todd, she's a GREAT candidate for restoration!

Don't worry one bit about bandwidth, we have unlimited space for you guys... Post all the pictures you want.

I can't WAIT to start my full restoration on Peanut!

nukeday

OK, I know that I'm a pretty linear, tactile sort of person and I'm having a bit of difficulty with the wiring. The positive ground thing, I can deal with, but I've got some questions on what goes where.

Can someone identify for me the following items (preferably from a stock truck):

-Locations of wiring on Generator-Which post gets which wire for the starter solenoid-What size fuses? Are they all the same?

-Which leads do I need to hook my remote starter trigger to? The truck is missing the key, I'd like to bypass it but I'm VERY nervous about toasting the starter.

I know it's probably not a great idea to post how to hot wire it here on the public forum, but if someone would PM me on how to get the accessories to come on without a key that would be great.

Photos would be extra terrific, and save a lot of typing

Thanks folks, I want to try to turn this thing over after I put it together properly.

IMH

This might be of some help:

mklotz70

according to the schematic...found on olddatsuns.com there's a batt cable, white wire from the B term of the volt reg, and a white red from the fuse box all connect to the bolt on the starter. The small black/yellow wire connects to the small screw on the solenoid.

mklotz70

I didn't use the generator....but the wires for it go down in from of the batt tray.....in my pic they are laying in the batt tray.

...schematic says the white/black is the Field winding...should have an F marked on the gen. White/red is the Armature...marked A.

Don't have the fuse listing handy.

nukeday

This is the type of info I'm looking for, really appreciate it.

The problem with the generator is that I can't seem to find any marking on it as to which post is the A, E, & F.

After searching some more, I think I've found the best visual ID I can for the generator in the '61-72 Chilton's.

The other item I've found disassembled is the clutch linkage. I printed out the diagrams in the parts list, but it looks like I'm missing pieces?! Photos of that area (column shift) correctly assembled and operational would be great.

I removed the fuel pump and extracted the broken off bung, I'll need to get another elbow and an inlet. The pump seems to operate fine, but it's full of crud, and chalky white gunk. From the pdf, it looks like I might be able to just remove and clean the top portion without affecting the lower seal.

Thank you folks!

Return to “Datsun 320”