320 ignition switch

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
straycat60

does anyone have a photo or diagram on where the wires go on the ignition switch. mine was unhooked when i got the truck.  i can crank it over, and have fire to the points when the switch is on, but no spark when cranking.  thanks, mike

DanielC

How many terminals are on the switch?  I am not familar with 320 ignition switch details, but this is how a 521 ignition switch is set up.  There are five terminals.  They are Power in,  Accessory out, Ignition out, Start out, and Ignition start out.  Turn the key left, one click, and that hooks up power in, and accessory out only.  Turn the key one click right, and that hooks up ignition out, and accessory out to power in.  Turn the key two clicks right, against the spring, and that hooks up power in to start out, and ignition start out. 
Ignition start out is used where there is a ballast resistor.  It is wired so that power from the ignition switch goes through the ballast resistor, in the run position, and power bypasses the ballast resistor in the start position.  

straycat60

i think my switch had 5 terminals also, but it looks like one is broken off. i was hoping i could get an aftermarket/ universal one from auto zone and make that work. i have used that type on a couple of hot rods, but they only have 4 terminals. when i got the truck, the switch was on the seat, and the wires were hanging. i need to get the right combination and this truck should start. thanks for your help. mike

IMH

Looking at the wiring diagram and at the actual switch on my 320, I only see three terminals.  The wires are B/Y which goes to the starter, B/W which goes to the farthest foward fuse in the fuse box and energizes the coil, and B which goes to the third fuse, counting front to rear, and energizes the accesory circuit. 

[img]http://i25.tinypic.com/2u9phck.jpg[/img]

straycat60

thanks so much !!! that is going to help me a lot ! mike

Return to “Datsun 320”