320 Dash Removal

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Techman

My 320 has some "creative" wiring that was done in the past.   I was wondering  if there is a downside of removing the entire dash is so I can easily get to all the under dash wiring? Thank you.

LilDat
Car: Datsun NL 320, Datsun U320 (the runchwagon) 1972 Datsun 510 wagon

If I had an underdash electrical problem, I'd think this; lay on the cramped space floor board, with flashlight or trouble light and a razor for hours trying to chase down a problem in the harness cuss alot, bump my head a few times, probably skin a knuckle or two, maybe cut a finger or.... remove a few bolts mark connections to make it easier to reconnect to guages etc Find problem and fix in a sitting postion and replace old mastic with silicone sealant when I remount dash, spend a few minutes in the "cussing position" as opposed to several hours reconnecting wires on your back.... :shock: I think I'd take off the dash! Other than the prep time and making sure you seal areas that were originally sealed I don't see a downside in taking off the dash. If you want to be a purist, you can probably find some of the old mastic sealant out there they used in the good old days to seal the dash.

Techman

Thanks for the advice.   It looked simple enough with just a few bolts holding things together but you never know till you talk to the experts.   Thank you again. 

mklotz70

What's the mastic for??

LilDat
Car: Datsun NL 320, Datsun U320 (the runchwagon) 1972 Datsun 510 wagon

I've got a couple of spots at the corner and near the center that has the old sticky stuff (looks to be flat tape like) between the dash and firewall on both my trucks. Only Datsun knows what it was for! If I were to guess it was put there during production to hold the dash in place temporarily while it travelled to the next station where they actually bolted it down.:P

Return to “Datsun 320”