320 brakes, to modify or not?

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Atabale
Car: 1963 datsun 320 pick up

Reading about the 320 pick up on the internet, there seems to be consensus that the 320 brakes are not very effective.

what would be the best option:

1. rebuild the original drums front or back?
2. replace the back brakes with disk brakes?

thank you
Atabale

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

Are you restoring the truck back to original or are you modifying it for more power?

Atabale

the one truck is almost 100% original, the paperwork, explaining the fuse box lay out is still stuck to the inside!. i would like to get it to show condition.

the other truck I need as a daily runner, and would upgrade the engine to a 1400 (datsun engine). Show condition is not that important with this one.

Li'l Truckie
Car: 3 x '65 PL 320
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '62 PL 320 - parts :(
1 x '60 PLG-222
and many more Datsuns from 48hp to over 500hp

Atabale,

Okay, so you are looking to update the brakes on a little 320. I will be the first to confirm that the 320 brakes are lacking but I will echo nissangirl74 question about your end result. If it is a weekend cruiser around town or through the park just rebuild the current system. If you are looking for a daily drive with a tuned A14 engine then yes, update the brake system. I say system as you will need to update brake lines, hoses, mounting hardware, and a larger dual piston, dual reservoir brake master cylinder. So with that in mind how time, money, and patients do you have?

Time – you will need to spend a considerable amount of time to resource, locate, record every website, vendor POC information, and every piece and part before you lay down any money or give out your cc #. I would recommend you find a brake schematic(S), and copy/paste it to power point to keep track of the brake system pieces as you locate them. Develop your own code, say, green is good (price, vendor, POC information) and red is an outstanding issue(s) that needs to be resolved.

Money – How much do you have? I will work you a comprehensive parts and price list for a drum rebuild but going to an updated brake system will be costly. I just checked eBay and as of January 21, 2014, only the conversion bracket is listed at $150 for each front and rear pair. I’ve seen the ‘complete kits’ for around ~$600 to $700 each for front and back. Oops, just found one. Says complete system for $595, but highly advise you correspond with the vendor to make sure it meets your application and it truly a complete system. Definitely ask what else you need to provide parts wise for installation. However, you are still missing many parts. Some quick math –

~$1500 for just the kitsM, including shipping. Need to research if these are complete kits with pads, shims, mounting hardware, and possibly hoses.
~$150 for brake master cylinder(M), say one from a ‘70s Z car
~$50 or so for a brake light switch
~$50 or more for various grade 8 nuts and boltsM
~$60 for 3 x rubber brake line hoses and attaching clips(M)
~$200 (maybe more, maybe less) for new brake lines(M), connector jointsM, and bending tool.

I will work you up a spreadsheet for part #, prices, and vendors for a complete drum brake rebuild. Ballpark figure for new front and rear shoes, hoses, rebuild kits, hose clips, brake cleaner, fluid is less than $250. All parts are readily available from vendors and if not in stock can be shipped their store in less than 3 days.

What I do not know –

What I do not know about off hand is if you need to replace the current wheel bearing, seals, and hub assemblies on the 320 with those of a later model car. If so, add on another $500 or so as the hubs will be expensive. Wheel bearings all around are ~$200 and seals at ~$100. One additional matter is the stock 14 x 5.5 inch rims. I do not know if these will fit with the updated brake system.

That is around ~$2100 without new hub assemblies, but I would budget around $2500 for the complete project. As your detailed research will reveal new pieces/parts requirements.

Patients – hope you have plenty to spare. Reserve some of your patients for researching parts and waiting for them to arrive. However, a majority of your patients’ and motivation for this project will be dedicated to fit and finish. You de-installing a current brake system that is 50+ years old, so lots of frustration with rusted and stripped nuts and bolts. Old brake lines will have to be remove from the firewall and frame. Once the old is removed, it is time to install the new. A new dual reservoir system not originally designed for the 320, so fit and finish is key to an operational brake system. You will have a few extra brake lines on an already busy firewall with a few more joint connectors separating the front brakes from the rear brakes. Do not forget you will also need to work on adapting the new Master Cylinder push rod to the 320 brake pedal or use the old MC push rod.

I think that should be enough information to get you started and help you make a decision.

Li’ Truckie

Notes-
(M) M is for measurement. As you will need to determine if the updated brakes system is metric or SAE fittings. It is one or the other.
(S) is for a brake schematic. I can get you a copy from the 320 manual, but you will need to locate a more modern Datsun brake system schematic from a Factory Service Manual (FSM) from say a ‘70s Z or Datsun 510 that has the dual system with brake lines and brake line joint connectors. Black Dragon also has a few schematics or tow to choose from with their part number and price listing. Website - http://www.blackdragonauto.com/

Atabale

Thank you very much, you have been a great help.

regards

Li'l Truckie
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '60 PLG-222

Atabale,

Here is a link to Silver Mine Motors. Might check out there upgraded brake package for the 320. Price looks more than reasonable considering the other kits I have seen go for ~$600-700.

http://www.silverminemotors.com/

This will get you the brakes for the axles, but you still have to figure out new lines for a dual system, additional joint connectors, and a dual reservoir brake master cylinder. This package from Silver Mine Motors looks pretty good and cuts your cost by ~$300 to $400. That might be enough savings to pay for the additional required parts.

Tracking the postage might be a little expensive to SA.

v/r
Truckie

1963 NL 320
Car: 1963 Datsun NL320
1964 Datsun NL320

Thanks Li'l Truckie. That looks like just what I need for my KA24 conversion truck. I am going to look into these!!!

Li'l Truckie
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '60 PLG-222

1963 NL 320,

No problem. Let me know if you need any measurements or help with pics as my '62 is completely disassembled. The frame and front suspension is easy to get at. I really do like these brakes, I just do not need them at this time.

thanks
Andy

Return to “Datsun 320”