320 advice

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
louinsd

Well, I'm working on sunny... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 53180&rd=1 and came across some questions.

1. Did it have a cabin light in the past? If so are there replacements out there?

2. Have any of you had to re-install a spedometer? I keep trying to put the cable back on but the spedometer doesn't seem to work (may be broken)

3. Passenger side and rear view mirrors. Do you know where I could find original replacements for these? It appears the passenger side was recently broken off:(

4. Horn button. I've noticed sever pictures on this site with a button under the stearing column. Did the 320 have a horn button in the center of the stearing wheel?

5. Radio, what kind of radio was originally in this truck? The radio in mine is a hitachi am fm radio (I can't imagine a 65 auto comming with FM) Where was the speaker located?

6. Dimmer for interior lights. Did the instrument lights dim on these vehicles? I can barely see the needles at night (not that they actuall work lol)

Thanks in advance!!!

odpl_AZhitman

Welcome aboard!  I'm sure Mike or one of the SUPER-knowledgeable 320 guys will come in and elaborate on (or correct) my answers, but here goes:

1)  Nope.  No dome light to my knowledge.

2)  We'd need more info - Is the "drive" end of the cable rounded out?  Is the speedo drive damaged?  How about the other end?  It's a pretty simplistic arrangement, so pull both ends of the cable off first and make sure it's not busted.

3)  No pass-side mirrors on these to my knowledge, except for the big "trailer-style" ones that appear to be add-ons.  Correct mirror (small chrome circle style) may be hard to find, keep an eye on the classified ads here on ODPL.

4)  Horn is center of steering wheel.  Your steering wheel is out of a later model Datsun, likely added during the "restoration".

5)  That's likely a later-model add-on.  Ours came with an am radio, but I've yet to see a pic of the "real deal" (I'm currently looking for one, working or not).

6)  I believe mine has a dimmer to the L of the wheel.

IMH

1.  Actually, 320s did have dome lights.  They're just usually gone having rusted out

and or deteriorated over the years.  You will notice a mount hole above the rear

window.  Part number 26410-04100 for the original which superceded to 26410-

J5100 but they are the same part and screw into that mount and plug into the two

wires that should be right behind it.  Sometimes found on eBay:

2.  Cant add anything to that answer.

3.  Nor this one.

4.  Nothing else here either.

5.  Don't know if they were ever really equipped with a factory radio.  All that ever

shows in the part catalogs is a blanking plate leading me to believe that a radio

in a 320 was a dealer add on which is why I've seen a few different radios with

the owner claiming them to be OEM.

6.  No dash illumination dimmer.

IMH

Double post

LilDat
Car: Datsun NL 320, Datsun U320 (the runchwagon) 1972 Datsun 510 wagon

Stephen, that is because it was a double good post:) I haven't looked to see if there is a part number for the radio in my manual. Lil-dat has an am radio in it that says Datsun on the face plate so I assumed it came that way. I am the third owner and the second owner said it came with the truck. If you want to go period just find a nice am with the Datsun Logo and go with it. I am going to try and find someway to put in something else in a descrete area (not much room for descrete)! Looks like AZ did a good job on the answers. Ken

IMH

[user=980]LilDat[/user] wrote: Quote »Lil-dat has an am radio in it that says Datsun on the face plate so I assumed it came that way. I am the third owner and the second owner said it came with the truck. [/quote]It still could have been dealer installed.  Here's a scan from the parts manual.  It seems that there were two part numbers for the radio.  Heaters, radios, clocks, and windshield washers were optional.  I've seen many with heaters, a few with Datsun radios, and none with windshield washers or clocks.  I've seen the windshield washer with the plastic bag resivoir in the 520 and 521 but never in a 320.  There are no illustrations of anything except the heater in the manual.

mklotz70

You might check that dome light part # against the 521's dome light....they appear to be pretty similar.  I'll have to look and see if they are.  I keep hitting the on in the NL with my head

You can check the speedo operation with a small screwdriver.  Poke it into the square drive hole and give it a spin in the direction of needle movement.  Since the needle should move CW when you look at it from the front, you'll want to turn the screwdriver CCW (as you look at it from the rear).  Give the screwdriver a quick twist and the needle should jump.  If it does, your speedo should work.  If not, your speedo is bad.  Can't help past that point...haven't pulled one apart. I know they're magnetically coupled, but not moving at all is pretty rare.

If it did move, it's probably your cable.  You can pull the cable out of the casing.....careful not to let it touch anything since it's probably greasy.  It should be about 5-6' long and be pressed square at both ends.  You'll be able to tell if it's broken.  You can slide it back in, when it gets to the last inch, you'll have to twist it to get it to engage in the trans drive.  You may have to play with the speedo end a bit to get the cable to engage.  If it doesn't go in, turn the drive you had the screwdriver in about an 1/8 turn and try again.  May take a couple of tries, but you'll notice when it slips in further. 

The 320 cable differs from the later models in that the end that couples to the speedo uses a male threaded nut that goes into the female threads on the speedo.  The later models have a threaded female ring that screws over the male threads on the speed.  The later cable will fit, it just won't mount up to the speedo.  I used one for a day or two on the NL.  There's a good chance it will bounce out, so it's only a temp solution.

As for the mirror.....I'm pretty sure the one on the left is stock.  The one on the right is the pedestal that came on my NL, but the mirror was broken off, so I modified it a bit.  I just got the other one at the scrapyard a couple of weeks ago.

mklotz70

Sweet...your rig has already been converted to neg grd.  If you have the speedo cluster out, I'd love a pic of the wiring

WHOA!!  I just noticed you have a 120mph speedo!  Sweet.  I know it's not stock....it looks like maybe it's been rescreened...or at least from a different rig.  I thought I was lucky to have a 100mph speedo.  Even the early datsun guru's I've talked to couldn't tell me what my speedo came out of

louinsd

I don't have the dash dismantled or I would take the pic for you. The peeps that painted the truck only reassembled what they needed to to make it roll. (and then didn't tighten most of the nets and  bolts).

As far as the 120 spedo... it's a bit overkill. When I was doing 70 on the freeway the engine was screaming like it was going to explode.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I believe my mirrors may have been added later as they are attached to the door.

louinsd

Just an update... They sell the dome light on ebay for the 520... I bought it and it fits on the 320.. Yay!!!

As far as the dimmer goes, I'm pretty sure that mine originally had one under the radio... I'm missing whatever was supposed to be under there... I'm not so worried about the dimmer, I just wish the lights were brighter

The spedo works now, the cable was bad. I used the cable of of my 620, may she rest in peices...

IMH

As far as I know, 320s did not have a dash illumination dimmer.  The only knobs under the radio are the choke and blower motor control.

phlebmaster
Car: 1973 240z L26 4spd rip roar and ready to go!

Pics restored..

Return to “Datsun 320”