302 Engine Swap

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
jsanderson
Car: 1998 Nissan Frontier, 2005 Nissan Altima

Hey guys, I'm new to the board, thought I would introduce myself before I began asking questions. I'm from Bama, have a 98 Frontier Extended Cab 4x4 m5 with 150k miles. I recently bought a wrecked f150 with a 302 in it, and would like to swap the motor into my truck. I plan on rebuilding the 302 before I do anything with it. Any suggestions on where to find info about doing this swap? All info would be gratefully appreciated!

Jeremy

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

My Nissan Senses are tingling......did I read that correctly?

You want to drop a 5.0 into a Nissan......WHY......that is so wrong.

Ok, now that I have that out of my system.

Have you considered the ability of the front suspension to handle the added weight of a V8? Thicker Torsion bars are available from Sway-A-Way. Are you going to use a Ford transmission with an Ford transfer case and figure out how to switch the front drive shaft configuration from one side to the other? Or are you doing a Solid Axle swap so you can remove that pesky Nissan IFS?

Or are you going to have an adapter built so you can mount the 302(5.0) to the Nissan tranny? I know adapters are available for Buick and Chevy V6 engines on Hardbody's and Pathfinders trannmissions but haven't seen one for a V8...at least not yet.

If you do find one make sure you post it here. This fits right in with out hot engine swapping strings we seem to have accumulated of late.

jsanderson
Car: 1998 Nissan Frontier, 2005 Nissan Altima

The reason I was considering the 5.0 drop into the Nissan is b/c I got a great deal on the motor/tranny. Even though I would like to use a 5 or a 6 speed tranny in the truck instead of the a4 that came with the f150. It would be different for sure, not seen many 5.0's in Frontiers. I would have loved to came a cross a LS1 to go into my truck, but wasn't lucky enough to find a decent priced motor/tranny.

I am trying to figure out what all I need, and how much I am going to be spending on doing this V8 conversion. My wife is all game for it as long as I don't just blow a crap load of money on it. So if I can get a ball park fig. then I am going to start working on it.

hsckris
Car: 07 V8 4runner

theres no real ballpark figure anybody can give you... its not like you can run down to the store and buy parts to do this. this will take one hell of a lot of fabrication by you or somebody else. if its somebody else, its goin to be expensive. if not, it depends on what you do. and thats just to get the motor in, not to mention the transmission, driveshaft, halfshafts, and axles, and the total redesign and redo of electrical, ignition, fuel, and suspension you'll likely have to do. plus there is the question of why would you do that...

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”