300zxTT pistons in a CA???

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
Do I Know You
Car: God, cars, and bikes

hey guys sorry i know i'm asking posting alot but i'm just trying to learn a little more!!!:) i was wondering if anyone has tried this or has it done now. i am rebuilding my motor and would like to put these pistons in and was curious if it would work or not. let me know.Thanks,Paul

pulsar gtr
Car: NISSAN VEHICLES

It is impossible, the 300zx pistons are almost twice in size than the ca18, the max you can bore the ca18 is around 1.9 )1900cc, while the 300zx is 3.0L ( 2998cc).

stick with the 1.8L size, just get forged pistons with difference compression ratio and build up the engine, it is much better than boring the block, if you bore the engine passed the 1900cc, you will be risking cracking or damaging the block since the block becomes thinker in size.

PULSAR GTR

Do I Know You

yeah i know the specs of the Z, but i read someone who had built a CA motor with these pistons but i lost the article and can't find it. he said It made it a CA20 and didn't say anything about a problem. but oh well...i don't know the size of the stock CA pistons but 300ZXTT are 87mm...will they bolt to the stock CA rod?Thanks,Paul

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

If you go for an 87mm bore on a CA you will invent a new type of piston, WATER COOLED! Won't work, but if you want to try it why don't you find a junkyard VG or buy one piston, grab a junkyard CA and take it over to a machine shop and bet the guy a six pack he can't fit the piston in the block. If you don't punch into the water jacket have him sonic check the the cylinder walls and watch his reaction. If you want to push the envelope how about SR pistons? 86mm

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

You want to go for a bigger bore and stroke, get the CA20's short block and start there. It can be done and I've already started to, but aborted because I have too many projects in motion and don't have a spare moment to do any more experimenting.

themadscientist

waiting for a CA20 crank in the mail to build my CA to 1.9liters. The CA20 is a talldeck sure but those rods looked like little old lady legs, I don't know if they are worth a crap.

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

What do you do to stroke it besides the crank and boring cylinders? Do you use the CA20's rods (at least have some forged ones made of the same specs)? Or do you use the CA18DET's rods on the CA20's crank and bore it as much as you can?

themadscientist

The Tomei 2liter "kit" uses a CA20 crank and 84mm forged pistons. This leads me to beleive that the CA18 rods are what are used. If you are willing to tinker You can use the CA18 block and rods with the CA20 crank, It may very well work. I have to wait on my crank, if you can wait for like a month for me to try my combo I can save you the trouble. The CA20 has a taller deck and longer rods than the CA18, the rods are pretty iffy looking but if you had the money you could have a set with the same dimensions made. Bolt on a DE head and a custom timing belt an theoretically your done. I know that when the Aussies bolt RB25DE heads on the SOHC RB30 block they have to relocate the belt tensioner, it's a same bet the CA20 is the same.

boost_boy

Quote »I know that when the Aussies bolt RB25DE heads on the SOHC RB30 block they have to relocate the belt tensioner, it's a same bet the CA20 is the same.[/quote] Same theory applies with the CA18 and CA20 blocks; the belt tensioner on the CA20 block has to be relocated. I am patient and I will wait to see how your set up turns out. My new motor is in the process of getting assembled complete with new wiseco pistons (standard), re-shotpeened rods, polished crank, port and polished head, 3 angle valve job, racing cams, T3/T04E 60-1 stage 3 turbo, custome intake and exhaust manifolds, MSD 72lb/hr injectors and a host of other go fast crap that costs plenty of cheddar. The biggesttreat will be my new gearbox (something for the Vipers:cool: ).

themadscientist

well this is the tenative plan for the CA??. I am dropping the CA20 crank into a CA18DE block with CA18 rods. I would like to go big on the pistons but I am trying to keep it dirt cheap so I am holding off the bore size until I get a look at the CA20 pistons. If they are decently constructed flat tops I will punch it up and reuse them if not stock CA18DET. Everyone says "no piston oilers? the pistons will melt!" I guess we gonna see =D I got a T04E sittin on the shelf waiting to test that theory!

boost_boy

Logic says "Go for it";) I've heard people say the CA18DET has a wimpy headgasket that will let go anything after 15psi, I have proven this theory to be inaccurate. 312.5whp on 18psi of boost with stock internals is not bad especially when the car is under 2300lbs. The CA20 block has no oil squirters (confirmed).

Do I Know You

sure i'd be willing to try the SR pistons, but can i use th estock CA18DET rods with those?:D

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

the CA20 crank needs a different clutch (skyline has the right bolt pattern) and the snout on the end of the crank is a smaller diameter so you'd have to re-machine that.

Also if you put the CA20 crank into a CA18 you will need custom rods, the pistons don't have enough room to move the wristpin up to make the new stroke work. I looked into this and gave up when I figured out how much money and work it was going to be.

Don't go any bigger than 84.5mm on your bore, that's where me and Ray both stoped.

Also the CA20 block is a bit weak for high boost duties IMHO, but if you want to install the CA18 oil squirters all you have to do is drill and tap them into the main oil galley that runs through the motor (that's how they are installed on the 1.8) And if you use a modified CA18 rod you'll have the oil squirters that are built into the rod helping as well.

PaulOrlando, FL

themadscientist

yeah I crunched the numbers last night, the pistons pop 2.2 mm or so above the deck. Custom pistons or shorter rods are the only way to fit it. Tomei makes the CA20 kit and it only has the crank and the forged pistons so they must have the proper pin height.

themadscientist

I didn't look at the CA20 I evicerated but the CA18DE has no gallery to drill into, it stops behind the oil filter land, I am betting the CA20 is the same which means you can't modify it to mount piston oilers.

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

themadscientist wrote:I didn't look at the CA20 I evicerated but the CA18DE has no gallery to drill into, it stops behind the oil filter land, I am betting the CA20 is the same which means you can't modify it to mount piston oilers.

I've got a CA18DE block from a pulsair and it dose have the oil galleys. Their not on the side of the oil filter though, it's on the other side of the motor. It's the same spot they are stuck into on the CA18DET, if you look I'm sure you'll see it.

PaulOrlando, FL

themadscientist

indeed i will, thank you. IGOR! GET MY BIG KNARLY DRILL OF WOE!

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”