300zx z31 gas problem

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
COffeygr
Car: 1987 300zx 2+2 non-turbo :(

Hello I'm new to this but I've owned a 1987 2+2 non turbo 300zx, I'm having trouble with my car now, about 2 months ago my car started bogging when I press the gas pass 50% throttle, since then I replace spark plugs, spark plug wires, mass airflow sensor, catalytic converter and the fuel pump. What I've discovered is that it ran good for the first few minutes at idol but under load the fuse blew every time,The stock fuse is 10 so we decide to put in 15 in that blew as well it's a walbro 255 GSS 341, relay and brand new as well, I just need to know if I need to drop the fuel tank again or if it's a wiring problem rather than a fuel line problem.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Welcome to NICO!
The 2 seater has an access panel in the trunk so you don't have to drop the fuel tank for access to the pump, I would think the 2+2 would as well, so before you drop the tank again, you might want to have a look under the interior bits, I suspect you'll find an access panel.
So, we're blowing the fuel pump fuse? Either the pump is bad/overloaded, this happens when there is a restriction in the fuel supply or return, have a look at the fuel lines, especially the hard lines at the tank, also the pickup on the pump itself and the fuel filter. Or you have an electrical issue, this is the more likely issue, I'd have a good look at the connections at the pump, both inside the tank and on the harness connections outside the tank, these wires can become brittle over time and a little corrosion in the wrong place can wreak havoc. Take the connectors apart and look at the contacts inside as well as the wires and their connections to the pins inside the terminal.

COffeygr
Car: 1987 300zx 2+2 non-turbo :(

The interior is completely removed for the purpose of the wires and too find a way to get to the gas pump without dropping the gas tank, panel needs to the regulator not the gas pump so it is needed to drop the gas tank. But I've been testing all the wires and connections the next thing is to check the wires on top of the regulator and then I will continue to drop the gas tank for the fuel lines to blow anything in them out. Hopefully that will fix the problem. Is here any other advice you could lend me ?

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”