300zx vs. 350z

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
KWdrifter
Car: guitars, motorcycles, cars

got a chance to race a nice black 350z tonight. it was black, lowered, and had 18" gunmetal wheels. it also had a cold air intake. he spun off the line and i got a great launch. it was pretty close till i hit about 50 or so and i started pulling pretty good. i was surprised how well he kept up with me actually, i dont like to sound full of myself, but cars that i race usually either kill me or i kill them. but when i hit the brakes, he was about 2 cars behind. i always have wanted to race a new Z. he and i talked at a church parking lot and he was really interested in my car and i told him about this site.

now i wonder how i would fare against my uncles 350Z Nismo r- tune.

jEzTeR
Car: 07 FX35 - 02 Altima 3.5se - 93 240sx Hatch

What kind of mods do you have on your Z32?

I see in your sig it says all motor so I'm guessing its a N/A.

KWdrifter

p&p, valve job, ported intake manifolds, bored tb's, bored to 3.1, lightened/balanced crank, JWT ecu, Stillen headers, custom catback w/ magnaflow mufflers, HKS/K&N intake, custom intake pipes, kyb agx's, MSD wires, iridium plugs, then:Nismo:cams, pistons/rings, rods, flywheel, clutch, short shifter kit, syncros, valves/springs, motor mounts, injectors, f/r stb's, springs, and upper strut mounts.

i bought the car with all the mods except the intake, which i did and consists of custom bent pipes, HKS 4" maf adapter, and a HUGE k&n filter (the only one i found big enough to fit the adapter.) i pokes out from under the car right behind the bumper, so its a little bit like "cold air."

im contemplating doing a custom turbo kit, but im not too sure yet. i have all the tools to make the pipes, i have a great place to get turbos for cheap, and i have a freind that makes killer manifolds, im just not too sure on what else goes with it. plus the original owner said it probabley runs too high compression for turbos. but for now, im just enjoying driving it. i absolutely love this car. its everything a gt car should be.

jEzTeR

Wow thats a pretty big list of mods on a N/A z32!

Have you had it on the Dyno or at the track?

If you pulled 2 cars on a 350z then you must be able to get low to mid 13"s in the 1/2.

boileralum00
Car: 94 Miata, 95 FZR600R

I presume you mean bored & stroked? Is that the JUN kit? That thing is money! what CR are you running?

KWdrifter

ill have to check my reciepts and stuff, but i believe it is the JUN kit. if i remember right, the compression is around 10.5 or higher. thats why im afraid of boosting it. but i have never had a chance to get it to a track (although im planning on it next month) and i dont know of a dyno around here. but i have beaten some fairly respectable cars though, i beat a stock 3kgt vr4, 350z, pretty much every honda ive tried. the original owner was an older guy who bought it new, drove it for a couple years, then garaged it when he went to europe. he then came back and started modding it. he did all the mods to it, then decided to move to england and so he sold it. i was lucky enough to get for $7500, w/ new tires, 63k, almost perfect interior/exterior, and all those mods!!! ive always been an advocat of doing the work yourself, but going into my second year of college and working full time, i neither have the time or the money to really work on cars that much. (thats why project turbo ka24 is still sittin in my garage.) but like i said, im still learning about the car. ive been a DSM guy for the last year or so and now im just starting to learn about nissans. this site has been my main sorce for information and it is truly a great help.

aaacomp
Car: Family, church, Computers, Cars

After reading the post I couldn't believe a 350 stayed with you until you listed mods and you have a NA.. I see 350's and G35's and can't even get them to say hi..

jEzTeR

I knew that his N/A Z32 must have been modded pretty good to put 2 cars on the 350z. The z33 is not super fast but it does put out numbers matching and just beating the stock 300zxTT numbers.

silkk
Car: 94 B13, 89 S13, 07 S2000

nissan should've made z33's that came with twin turbos :D

jEzTeR

That would have been nice. The TT 3.0 Z32 was rated at 300hp and the N/A 3.5 350z is rated at 287hp.

They are being smart about it though as far as sales go. I'm sure there will be a F/I version of the Z33 or Z34 someday. Course the Skyline may take all the thunder away from the Z car.

At any rate I'm real happy with my 350z. Its a well rounded GT car.;)

boileralum00
Car: 94 Miata, 95 FZR600R

The Infiniti GTR will probably cost at least $50-55k (my guess, haven't seen any real estimates yet), so I don't think it will detract too much from Z sales, since it will have that $20k premium over the Z's price. If anything, I think a SMZ version of the 350Z would be neat, w/ the Stillen supercharger and a full warranty.

KWdrifter

there is a guy in my town who bought the GReddt twin turbo kit for his Z33. that was about 2 months ago and i havent seen the car out and about since then. hopefully he will get it done and tuned cuz that will be one badass car.

aaacomp
Car: Family, church, Computers, Cars

JSPEC eng for the 350 from Japan comes with 320 hp

Wakkolio

I remember when i raced a 350z in my 92tt. He would follow me until we both lined up side by side. At that time i was at stage 3. I beat him off the line to 85mp max distance was about 8 cars. I slowed down to 40mph to let him catch up then gunned it again. This time about 5 cars. After that he just left me alone.

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”