300zx Turbo with Pathfinder Intake wont rev over 3k

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
mikeycrum14
Car: 87' 300zx Turbo

Hey guys,
Been digging around my 87 300zxt i just bought to see why it wouldnt rev over 3k and heres what i found:
fuel regulator vacuum solenoid (2 ports) was substituted by a egr vacuum solenoid (3 ports). so i just plugged the middle port.

the main thing i have found is that the boost gauge doesnt want to read over like 2 pounds but it still pulls strong at wot... until it reaches 3k, then it just bogs and starts to idle all the way down. any other setting that WOT and it seem to work fine through the power ban. If i go WOT from anywhere it dies at 3k. but if i go partial throttle or feather it it goes all the way up...

It does have the pathfinder intake swap (does by PO) and the vacuum lines seem fine, MAF checks out ok (wont really rev at all if it is unplugged), new fuel filter, fresh fuel, fresh oil, newer plug wires,

plugs were white when i pulled them and it seems to be detonating a little bit but not too bad.

long story short i unplugged the tps and it works fine, idle didnt change (idles normally about 1kish), but now it will rev all the way up at wot with no issues.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? :gotme

asoomal
Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L 5MT (Daily)
1992 Nissan 240SX SE 5MT w/HICAS (Being restored)

Have you hooked up a fuel pressure gauge? I would go check and see what the values are when the power drops.

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”