300zx NA Tranny Problems

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
GranAutismo
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX N/A

I recently removed the transmission off my 91 NA because the Selecter Rod was missing when i bought the car. So i took it out, opened the tranny and replaced that with a new one. After that i installed a new Megan Short Shifter. With the clutch being out, i begun shifting into every gear without a problem. Nice, smooth throws. I got a new clutch and pressure pad, installed that and when i fully installed the transmission back together, my shifter would not go into 5th. I tried adjusting the Shifter Mount Bracket and when i did so, i was able to go into 5th but not Reverse now. I doubt its the synchros because like i said before, i was able to go into every gear fully. Will i need to adjust the linkage? Nothing gets in the way of it, so i dont see why it wont go into reverse fully. And i dont want to remove the transmission if i dont have to. My car runs but i need new tires and rotors for me to actually drive it. the tranny has no Transmission Oil but im sure that doesnt matter. Thanks for yalls feedback

GranAutismo
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX N/A

UPDATE: So it bothered me how i couldnt fix this, so when i removed the drive shaft to adjust the linkage (its easier that way. took me 2 minutes to remove the shaft), i went and started shifting through all the gears and to my surprise it fully shifted into each gear without a problem. Im assuming it all depends where the drive shaft is. So i guess ill know if its fine once i begin driving my Z. Any tips or knowledge will be appreciated

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”