300zx mystery

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
PappaDoc
Car: 1987 Mazda 300zx

Hi guys, been looking for a forum like this and I hope everyone is well. I'm an old burned out Paramedic who finally retired, was into bikes a lot, but not so much. I have a car mystery I hope you can help me with. I have a 1987 300zx that is a Japanese import, confirmed by the data plate. First the tail lights are stock but unlike my parts car which is also a 1987 and look different than any others I've seen, many of the body panels do not fit if they are domestically purchased, the paint code was written in Japanese and took 3 days to and three times the cash to get right. My biggest problem is my speedo is not working, I looked under my parts car and it has a cable going from the cluster to the transmission tail, I looked under mine and it has a sensor and wires even through the cluster looks analog. when I try to order a speed sensor for an 87-89 I find nothing until I get into the early 90;s can anyone tell me if this is something rare or something you see frequently. I really need some help figuring out just what I have, thanks in advance. :tisk:

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Welcome to NICO!
So if I read your post correctly, your car is a JDM model? Right Hand Drive? Or you just mean that it was manufactured in Japan, which all Z cars (yup all of them 1970-present) are all made in Japan.

There were digital and analog versions of the dash and a lot of changes took place between the 85 and 87 models. the 84-85 I believe used cables, the 86 used a remote sender in the engine bay, and the 87's used a trans mounted sender. The automatic's might have even been different....I THINK! (it gets confusing) Sounds like your parts car is an 84-85 and your car being an 87 used the trans mounted sensor. You might check with your favorite Nissan dealer to see if it's still available, you might be scouring the junkyards for an 87-89.

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

Try this guy's website, he has everything and if you cannot figure it out send him a picture of it and he'll help you figure out what you need

http://www.300zxpartsforyou.com/

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”