300zx convertible rear suspension and shocks

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
auddog007
Car: 1993 Nissan 300zx convertible

I have a 93 convertible that is having a couple of rear end issues .. I found that the lower link toe arm had snapped when I was driving down the highway. It appears that it had been re-wielded by the previous owner (his other wields didn't hold up either). Since I'm going to replace the arm, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on whether to replace just the arm or replace a larger amount of the suspension with an upgrade.

Also, does anyone know where the top connection for the rear shocks might be hidden on the convertible model? I can't seem to find the the top connection or any documentation on how to access it.

RubyRed300ZX
Car: 1993 300zx Convertible

Unlatch the back "half" of the convertible top. Lift it up as in folding the plastic rear window in half. Swing open the convertible-top boot-cover. On the shelf storage tray, you'll see two black plastic inserts (one on each side of the car). They're about 2" in diameter. Pop those off to find the "top of the shock."

BenWP

Will I find the headlight aiming devices there? Or are they behind the trunk lining? Mine is a 93 vert, too.

auddog007

I finally found them, I had to remove each panel cover (over the light bulb adjustment kit), then remove the large middle panel (mine had speaker mounted on it), then I had to remove a single screw under the 2" dia plastic cap so that I could then lift up the lining to find the shock cover cap. They are located about 12" from each side. It was kind of a process, but well worth it.

auddog007

I should also point out, the 2" diameter plastic caps are designed to hold down the lining .. they break quite easily when you attempt to pry them off. The caps you are looking for are rubber based and under the lining.

Mike0276
Car: 1993 Nissan 300ZX convertible with 71K miles.

Reading these post on replacing rear shocks on a convertible. I have to do the same with my 93. To get to the top 2 nuts on the shock, do I need to remove all the panels in the top storage compartment? If so, is there a sequence to the removal? Which panel should I remove first? Since you’ve done this, can you provide any instructions? Any help I can get will be appreciated.

Mike0276
Car: 1993 Nissan 300ZX convertible with 71K miles.

I just replaced the rear shocks on my ‘93 300ZX Convertible. Only had to remove the 2 side panels and the bottom tray. Pry off the side panels. Remove the 4 nuts holding the bottom tray and remove. Remove the 2 plastic cap plugs on the back panel and remove the 2 push connectors at the bottom of that panel. You can lift the bottom of the back panel enough to have access to the top of both rear shocks. The rest is norma shock replacement. Reverse the order to finish the project.
The headlight adjustment adapter is located under the side panel that was removed on the driver’s side.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”