300zx brake conversion

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
ride4lame

I need new rotors and calipers in my '90 240sx hatchback and was thinking of swapping in 300zx brakes(4 Piston). Does anyone know the best year to use or have any tips? Info would be greatly appreciated .:ylsuper

Emperor

Go to http://www.srswap.com they have a kit at a really good price. nice guys there too.

7HE_DON

i think all the last gen's have the same brake calipers... maybe different disc's but you're putting them on 240 discs... be a good deal to get the honed disc's but it gets pricey from therei say go check out junk yard... find a totaled 300zx and scrap the breaks for cheap... or you can pay full price and order from retailit'll be in better condition but really the only thing that wears down and needs attention is the rubber on the inside of the caliper

Nils
Car: road racing

I dont know about the s13 but for my s14 it was real easy to make the convertion. I went to car-part.com and found the following parts:

300zx calipers (95)300zx brake rotors (94)300zx front spindle assembly's, includes the hub (95)240sx SE rear hubs (96)240sx SE rear brake rotors (new)

then I got some stainless steel brake lines from PDM racing

As you noticed, I did convert to 5 lug hubs aswell while I was doing all this. If you do this you might have to buy new rims aswell, but getting the larger front calipers might force you to get new rims anyways. The years of the parts dont really matter that much aslong as they are from the right generation 300zx. I highly praise the brake swap, it works awsome at the track where I really abuse the brakes. It is amazingly easy to change brake pads on the 300zx calipers, so that is another advantage.

With Carbotech XP pads (track only) my 240 stops aswell as my Supra with the F40 Brembo's, if not better.

I might have missed something, just woke up =/

take care,nils

midnight brother

Nils was that for front only or did you manage to do front and rear?

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

Ok, that Heavy Throttle upgrade kit: do the Z32 front calipers bolt directly to the stock 89-94 caliper brackets? Is what is listed in the kit everything you need for the install? What size wheels will they fit under? Stock 15s? I have 16s and really want some big cross drilled slotted brakes.

Nils

midnight brother wrote:Nils was that for front only or did you manage to do front and rear?

I only swapped the front brakes. No real need to change the rear brakes since the front brakes take up about 80% of the load.

I did change out the rear hubs of a 240sx SE, which is a 5 lug hub. I also then had to switch out the rear rotor to match the 5 lug hub from a 240sx SE aswell.

Take care,nils

dankar
Car: racing, grandkids

By the way that dust cover, or what ever it is called, will come off pretty easy, it will pry off with a screw driver.You will have to cut it or remove it if you do the conversion.

Nils

dankar wrote:By the way that dust cover, or what ever it is called, will come off pretty easy, it will pry off with a screw driver.You will have to cut it or remove it if you do the conversion.

Yeah, I know... it actually flops off quite easily. It is a heat sheild and I prefer to keep it on. It looks like **** but it helps to protect bushings, suspension etc. from heat. Since the 300zx rotor is larger diameter you will either have to remove the heat sheild or cut it like I did, I recommend keeping it on.

take care,nils

ST240
Car: RB30DET s13
01' Pathy

Is the 5 lug conversion on an s13 basically a straight forward process? I dont know much about the subject but i am interested in doing it. Where do you get most of the parts to do it (off what donor car?)

-Andre

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”