300 rwhp turbo KA...

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
s14mc

What parts has to be swap/add onto the n-sport kit to boost a bottom end ka to 300whp? or is it even possible? (i still want a blot-on kit so i'm not building up my own turbo). i'm thinking the following:

JWT ecubigger injectors (how big?)tial wastegate (which one is sutible?)bov (is the bosch good enough?)fuel pump and fmu upgrade? (i don't know much about fuel system so please help)head gasket (necessary?)

am i in the right direction? any input would be apereciated.

also what psi am i looking for at 300whp?

ThanksJeff

S13Ka24e
Car: Tunning, reading, learning

The n-sport bolt on turbo with 7psi they claims make 240rwhp. A port and polish usually adds 20% hp so that is another 48rwhp. Now you bump the boost to 9 or 10psi I would think you would get to close to 300rwhp you might need more like 11 or 12 psi. A 35mm waste gate will be fine but you will have to change the spring. Bosch is fine, but like the HKS BOV better, (mainly just the sound). If you are running the JWT ECU with larger injectors you do not need a FMU. Injectors need to be atlest 370cc to take 10psi then if you run 12psi you will need larger +400cc. Head gasket, if you are going to take the head off to port and polish you should change it. Good luck.

S13Ka24e

huguetpj
Car: 93 KAT Coupe

S13Ka: he would need to change the spring if not using a boost controller, right?

S13Ka24e
Car: Tunning, reading, learning

That is right. You have the tube that runs off the piping from the IC to the manifold. That tube runs into the boost controller, which is really just of valve. This valve you can adjust the amout that will go through it. Then that runs to a tube to the WG. So lets say the WG spring in set at 7psi. You want to run 14psi. You then close the valve 1/2 way so only 7psi goes through the valve to the WG. So then when you hit 14psi the WG thinks it just hit 7psi and the WG starts to release pressure.

huguetpj
Car: 93 KAT Coupe

so... is there the posibility to run too much boost with a given spring rating?

I'm planning on running 4PSI at first so I want to get a Tial WG with a 4PSI rated spring. Then connecting a Blitz SBC to up boost. The SBC completely closes the hose to the WG until the given boost is achieved, 10PSI in this case. Probably more later.

So that is why I ask, is there a maximum boost that should be used with a 4PSI rated spring?

Thanks for all inputs.

DaveEEE

huguetpj wrote:
I'm planning on running 4PSI at first so I want to get a Tial WG with a 4PSI rated spring. Then connecting a Blitz SBC to up boost. The SBC completely closes the hose to the WG until the given boost is achieved, 10PSI in this case. Probably more later.

the smallest spring Tial makes for the 35mm is .45 bar I believe. I used it for a while and read about 5 to 5.5 psi.

s14mc

im confused. there's a internal wastegate in the turbo, then someone can add a external wastegate (like tial), and even more, drop in a boost controller. i think they all function the same way, isn't it? why is each pieces necessary to each other?

DaveEEE

s14mc wrote:im confused. there's a internal wastegate in the turbo, then someone can add a external wastegate (like tial), and even more, drop in a boost controller. i think they all function the same way, isn't it? why is each pieces necessary to each other?

There is no internal wastegate in the nsport T4, if that is what you are referring to. Also remember with a boost controller, you cannot go any lower than your wastegate spring.

-david, 93 nsport ka24det

s14mc

after seeing you guys' suggestions, im now having a better idea what i'm going to do with the nsoprt stage1 kit:

370cc injectors (which good ones are blot-on?)tial 35mm wastegateelecctronic boost controller (suggestions please) hks bov (model suggestions please)head gasket (suggestions please)port polish (how much is it gonna cost?)

and running 10psi with the above mods. (reliable?)

Any input is appereciated.Thanks

-Jeff

DaveEEE

Your going to want more boost quick... I'd go with the MSD 50lb if I were you as well as maybe some new internals if you were planning on doing the head gasket, port polish, etc.

-david, 93 nsport ka24det

s14mc

sorry i just figured out that im not doing port polish and internal work....too much money. but i think a head gasket is always good, right? with the mods i just mentioned (without port polish) above can i still hit 10psi safely? what hp numbers am i looking for with them? Thanks

oh by the way what's a MSD?

DaveEEE

MSD is a company that makes ignition components and fuel injectors... With the 50lb injectors and JWT ecu tune you should be okay at 10psi, but close to your stock internals limits.

-david, 93 ka24det

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

with 50lb injectors you can push up to right around 14psi, and make 320-350rwhp on stock internals.

Another problem with all drop in fuel injectors (even the 550's or 720's for the SR that fit the KA) is that the stock fuel rail just cannot flow enough gas to feed the injectors, and the number 3 and 4 cylinders will start to lean out. This of course is bad and results in honey roasted engine internals.

You really need to go to a topfeed style fuel rail to carry the volume of gas required.

Paul Orlando, FL

trpower7

Hey, I've always wondered where to attain a top-feed rail for the KA, anyone wanna tell me?

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

jim wolf makes fuel rails, chris may uses that one...

-chet

MadSideways
Car: Cars, women, drifting...the usual...heh

I'm not sure of the quality but unstable hybrids makes one:

http://www.unstable-hybrids.com/UHProducts.htm

matt0941
Car: Counter-Strike, Cars, Girls (in that order)

As for the fuel management... do a search we beat the hell out of it in the forums the past week. As for the wastegates, they are for p****** ;) .

2shortysx
Car: watching tv

for the number of people who are pushing over 7 psi onstock internals, what engine management are you guys using, who is tuning your motors, and what is their secret in going so? because people that i've spoken to that have kadet's for a while and have experience, say that anything more than 7 psi on stock internals WILL blow your motor given some time. plus, these guys are using standalone engine management systems. even the guys at mckinney say this as well. and i assume everyone here knows they have respect as to having knowledge about kadet's. just hearing that you can push up to 14psi on stock internals is shocking. i already know of only 1 person who has the fortune of being able to push to those limits and that's the guy w/ the white 97' in arizona w/ a stage II fmax kit on a jwt ecu.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

14 psi is easy, you just need to add fuel. For that there are tons of different options. Like Matt said search around. We covered this not to long ago.

Basically the JWT ecu and some 550's will allow you to run 12-14 psi with no problems. But there are other things like MAF and what not that need to addressed.

All covered in other posts.

Try reading the FAQ's.

2shortysx

actually the turbo faq is where i got the question from. i've spoke with and met various people(those from experience, trial and error) with kadet's who've advised not to go over 7 psi on stock internals and that's with upgraded fuel and engine management(stanalones). i'm just curious to know the actual tuning stradegies.

TrunkMonkey
Car: 2000 lincoln navigator

2shortysx wrote:i've spoke with and met various people(those from experience, trial and error) with kadet's who've advised not to go over 7 psi on stock internals and that's with upgraded fuel and engine management(stanalones).
i suggest you talk to other people.

use the search function. there are a couple of in dept threads on this very subject that maybe only a couple of weeks old.

-demetrius

Flamereka
Car: 89 240sx, 96 240sx,98 subaru 2.5rs, 07 wrx

My turbo setup shoudl be here soon and I think i'll be usind a Safc-II Which is the new apexi air fuel controller. It is supposed to now have a knock sensor too.

2shortysx

demcj wrote:i suggest you talk to other people.

use the search function. there are a couple of in dept threads on this very subject that maybe only a couple of weeks old.

-demetrius

i suggest you kick rocks

but hey....... thanks for the tip. i'll look

APEXi240
Car: 08 Versa S hatch

Most engines can take more boost than you think stock.

Turbo magazine featured a stock block Miata running 25 psi.There is a turbo Integra that runs 20 psi on a stock block in NJ.

These blocks are weaker than the KA, its all about fuel and tuning to run high boost on a stock block. Just boost it and find out. Anyone that can afford a turbo kit can afford a 200 dollar block.

Flamereka
Car: 89 240sx, 96 240sx,98 subaru 2.5rs, 07 wrx

My turbo setup shoudl be here soon and I think i'll be usind a Safc-II Which is the new apexi air fuel controller. It is supposed to now have a knock sensor too.

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

yes, allong with better adjustability(200rpm incriments down from the origional 500rpm incriment..)

pretty neat stuff.-chetPS: I'll be running a ball-bearing T28(possibly), 10psi on stock internals.

2shortysx

well.............i guess for those who are using standalone engine management systems like sds, halteck, etc, running over 7 psi on stock internals, on a kadet, please stand up, please stand up!

what's your tuning stradegy?

Red Lightning

I'm just curious, anyone with experience please answer. I know that if you spray more fuel you can run more boost, but up to some point the pistons and rods will just break. At what point will the stock pistons and rod fail? (or how high hp did you ever run on you ka with stock parts?) Thanks.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Dennis Kalman and T.Y. Yap are running 15 psi on their KA's. I don't think anyone has confirmed the actual limit for the stick internals. The only failures I have have heard of have all been from detonation. F-Max also told me they had dyno'd 350 to the wheels at 15 psi on a KA. Dennis and T.Y. both run F-max kits which use the JWT ECU, Cobra MAF and 50 lb MSD injectors.

2shortysx

C-Kwik wrote:Dennis Kalman and T.Y. Yap are running 15 psi on their KA's. I don't think anyone has confirmed the actual limit for the stick internals. The only failures I have have heard of have all been from detonation. F-Max also told me they had dyno'd 350 to the wheels at 15 psi on a KA. Dennis and T.Y. both run F-max kits which use the JWT ECU, Cobra MAF and 50 lb MSD injectors.

id like to be able to do the same but with the sds system.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”