300-500 H.P. in a CA18det will be cheaper than an SR20det?

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
777aaron
Car: race cars

Will it really be cheaper to make a CA have 300 to 500 H.P than it would for an SR? I was reading a thread and I came across someone saying this,I belive it may have been Daunttless , your help in ansewering this will be appreciated also , when I actually get an engine for the swap I am sure I will be leaving it pretty much stock except for bolt-ons untill sometime down the road.My father owns a racing engine and performance machine machine shop but the only thing is almost all the work we do is for domestic cars (mostly N.H.R.A. super stock class cars) ,except for the occasional honda or 4g63 balance job and some head and manifold porting work.I will do all the machine work myself such as balancing,bore and hone block,rebuild and shotpeen rods ,port and flow test head and manifold,etc..We also have a bridgeport as this will aid me in any custom fabrication that needs to be done,and a dyno as this will help me in tuning.So please exclude these costs when ansewering.Also , does any one know what engine the HKS 180SX runs?Because I know that thing is mega fast and I'm sure whatever they run would be a good platform to start with.Any and all help will be greatlly appreciated.THANX.

Daunttless

It is less expensive to put a CA to between 350-500 horsepower, up to that poin, including low to mid 300s, its cheaper for a SR.

I'm pretty sure I listed all/most of the components in another thread and their cost.

The HKS 180SX runs a RB26DETT, not a direct swap, although my ship will be doing it in the not to distant future. : )

Enjoy your day.

777aaron

Thank you for ansewering Daunttless,the reason I asked about the H.K.S. 180 is because I was reading in "turbo" or one of those other mags and they were comparing it to the turbonetics celica and they said it had half the cylinders and half the turbosso I figured it was running some form of a sr or ca,but I suppose it was just another all too common magazine error.You seem like a guy who stands behind what he says so I'msure when the time comes for me to purchase you will be the man to speak with.The only other thing I was really concerned with was the CA's reliability vs. the SR's.The reason I am asking this is because I have heard quite a few people "bad-mouth" the CA on different threads and say that they are constantly breaking down.I know that any small displacement engine with lots of boost making lots of power is going to have issues because of it's nature,but Iwill probally drive it around at the sub 300 h.p. level for some time.thank-you

Daunttless

They don't break down any more than a SR. : ) its a quality engine just like most other Nissan engines. Also, if it does break down you can go to the local auto parts store and buy everything except the pistons. Unlike an SR where you need almost every single part from Japan. : )

looksLikeA240
Car: break dancing

looky.. its not quite complete, but the rest needed can be found easily and cheaply... http://www.cartunemotorsports....1.jpg great price only 500 dollars

its from here http://www.neishlinmotors.com/

777aaron

Yes it is a good price indeed,unfortunetly it is for a AWD w/wrong tranny , intercooler ,and I have no idea what else is different but I would venture to say quite a bit.I think those came in pulsars GTI's in Japan.Even if it was rear wheel drive and was the correct setup I would probally still shy away from an incomplete setup for a number of reasons , although the price is very good 1.I would probally spend more money in the end w/ a incomplete setup. 2.I have been involved in the high performance iindustry for a number of years and my experience shows me that anyone who will take the time to ansewer your questionsand share personel experience and advice , rather than try to sell you a more expensive product is usally very reputable. 3.Someone who is just starting out in buisness or someone that has a small buisness that depends on a very small and specialized segment of the automotive comunity will usally try much harder to correct a problem if one occours,as bad word of mouth spreads very quickly and can destroy one's reputation.This also helps to insure that a quality product is delivered so that there are no future headaches.I could name quite a few more reasons,but I don't think I need to.The fact that Dauntless lives in Iowa and I live in Indiana is also a plus.Hope that I did not make your head swell to big Dauntless lol:D .Lookslike a240 , I still definitally appreciate your suggestion and you ansewering my post.thanx,777aaron

Daunttless

Don't worry, ask anyone my head was swelled WAY before you showed up. : )

looksLikeA240

yeah i definatley dont know how the awd motors bolt up. But if you could use a KA tranny still use the CA block i thought it could be a cheap a** swap. Last ecu on ebay was a mines tuned ca ecu that went for 50 bucks. Can find harnesses places and then buy an aftermarket ecu. Does anyone know if the awd ca bolts in sideways like a fwd motor?

Daunttless

yeah, its transversely mounted.

ca18datsun510
Car: bmw 330i zhp, 91 infiniti m30, 89 240sx, 07 zx6r, 05 trx450r

i bought my engine for 1500. it was complete with computer, whole car harness, transmission etc. the guy i got it from said it was the last one he was gonna get for a while, unless he got a few more interested people. if anybodies interested email me and ill talk to him in a few weeks when i pick up the sr20 for my cousins 240sx.

777aaron

Is your car running?I think its really cool to see 510 w/ a engine like that.

ca18datsun510
Car: bmw 330i zhp, 91 infiniti m30, 89 240sx, 07 zx6r, 05 trx450r

unfortunately, no its not running. i had a few personal emergencies this year that put it on hold, or at least a slower pace. next summer it should be done. th motor is in the car, i just have to do the wiring and weld up a custom turbo manifold. you know, the fun stuff. and then the intercooler setup, and then the exhaust, and then.... oh boy, you get the idea.

777aaron

Sorry to hear about the emergencies,hope all is well now.Sound like you got some work ahead of you,but I know it will be worth it in the end.Be sure to post some pics. when its complete,oh yeah almost forgot the most important thing,be sure to let us know what it does in the 1/4 mile:D

AEROdOUT240SX

since that 300-500 hp is somewhere in the range for my goal of total hp, im looking for 350-450, somewhere in there. how much are u guys talking in mods to get it to this point? also, what mods are suggested on the CA to put it in this power range? you guys say its cheaper to get it to that point than it is w/ an SR. if thats the case, im going w/ CA for sure. how much cheaper is it really? thanks a lot.

btw, i know my sr's....been researching for about 2 years, im very new to the CA possibility. peace.

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

__________________1990 red 240 hatch w/blown engine waiting for a swap. 1979 malibu w/1 bada$$ 406 runs 7.80 on street tires at local eighth mile track. "Thank God Ford did'nt build airplanes"

actually Ford did build airplanes, and had one of the first commercially successfull planes in the form of their "Ford Trimotor"

It was ugly and slow, but it turnned a profit for the airlines......

777aaron

Gosh that sounds pretty scary to me.I guess I will have to change it to "On a quiet night you can hear a Ford rust" or "Thank God Ford did'nt build motorcycles" or something of that nature.On another note,have you ever took your car to the track?I sure am interested in what that setup would run because that is awfully close to the type of setup I would like to achieve when all is said and done.Also,dyno numbers?Wish you still lived in IN,I would ride up to F.W. to check out that setup.If you ever decide on making a trip home please contact me, as a few other 240 guys around here and myself would sure like to meet up,we are 5 min. outside of Louisville so I would think it would be right on the way.THANX,Aaron

looksLikeA240

well seeing how you can usually get a ca front clip for a thousand dollars less than an sr. You could have a T28 or similar turbo with injectors for the 1000 dollars you'd save. With this set up you can achieve mid 300 hp levels. It's been done a bit. And then the other BPU + mods that most people do (FMIC, intake, dp, exhuast, some sort of piggy back). you could acomplish your goals and save some money for whores at the same time.

Daunttless

It woudl be extremely difficult to get a CA18 clip for 1000 dollars less than a SR...

AEROdOUT240SX

yeah, i figured id be able to get a nice turbo and injectors w/ the money i saved instead of going SR. i was looking at maybe an S15 SR20DET turbo and some larger injectors. what about manifolds.....who sells manifolds and downpipes for these things? also, does the stock exhaust bolt up to the CA?

Daunttless

We will probably be producing manifolds, we also have access to GReddy and what not manifolds, theres sometimes manifolds on eBay as well. Most anyone who makes an SR manifold makes a CA manifold. Also, by stock exhaust I hope you mean stock mounting location, and yes, it bolts up, but if you upgrade everything and you leave your exhaust stock don't plan on it lasting very long. However, if you mean like a "stock" apexi N1, as in one for a 240, yeah, they bolt right up.

looksLikeA240

i got a CA front clip from venus auto. 50,000 miles on it. 1500 dollars. I figured that was a thousand less than sr. 1800 dollars total after shipping to ohio. as far as manifolds. I really like the HPI ones http://www.hpi.co.jp very nice and pretty.. not over priced when compared to other tubular stainless.

slw240sx
Car: 1990 Ca18det 240sx Hatch

lookslikea240,, ill be in columbus on the 19th for a court date, im going to be stopping by force fed to discuss a transplant did you go through them to get your clip cause if you got a 1500 one im going to order one this winter from them an have it done either their or at home , rather save install money for upgrades

dan240sx
Car: anal lube

lookslikea240: the manifolds on the hpi site, are they stock manifolds made with better materials? because one of my friends from san diego wants one for his ca18det, but wants to fit a garrett t3/t4 turbo on it.

he's stupid, he swapped out his 2.4 for a small 1.8

AEROdOUT240SX

dauntless,

yes, i meant the stock mounting locations. i have an aftermarket exhaust, i just wanted to be sure i didnt have to get another one made.....cuz that would not be cool.

and to dan240sx....

are u serious about being faster than Z28's and R/T Stealths? i hope thats sarcasm.

looksLikeA240

slw240sx... yeah i got and installed my motor at their shop. But I did the swap myslef using their tools. I'm good friends with the owner and all the fellas there. So i kinda got a fortunate hookup,,, but they still give great prices and service... really.. all except the fact that the swap will take a couple weeks or so, they are rather busy and get backed up on work.

dan240sx The hpi manifolds are completely redisigned tubular manifolds to give you maximum flow. They are stainless steal and very high quality. The only bad thing about these manifolds is that your friend would not be able to use a T3 flange. The HPI manifolds use a T25 flange that also bolts up to the HKS GT series and other Turbo upgrades from apexi and garret. They are very nice!!

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”