3" performance catback for Nissan Maxima - FINALLY!

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

BRM is proud to introduce a performance catback system for the 2000-2003 Nissan Maxima (A33) and the 1989-1994 Nissan Maxima (J30).

Here's our prototype system - We've sold quite a few since then. More current pics to come!

Construction - All systems are constructed of mandrel-bent, T-304 stainless steel (or aluminized mild steel) in 3", 2.5" and 2.25" diameter. BRM's systems are not "mass-produced" and are manufactured by hand. Our fabricators have over 100 years combined experience in custom exhaust design, and we recently sold our 900th catback for the S-chassis (not to mention over 200 Sentra systems, a bunch of Versa catbacks, and an assortment of other cars we build stuff for!).

MIG welding is used for most welds, some TIG welding is utilized. Welds are cleaned up afterwards for a nicer, finished appearance.

Flanges are 3/8" billet pieces, whereas the competition uses thin, flimsy STAMPED STEEL flanges.

Muffler, resonator, catalytic converter, and tips are ALL Magnaflow units. We've found their stuff to be the best-suited to these applications.

Sound - BRM catbacks are designed for a non-ricey, throaty sound. Deep rumble at idle, and an aggressive, deep tone throughout the RPM range. Can't say much more here, except for NO RICE.

Appearance - BRM believes in maintaining a stock fitment and appearance, and as such, the flashiest thing you'll see is the chrome tips. No weird, unnecessary angled canisters or anything like that. Just clean, timeless style.

Tips - All systems are available with either a 4" single chrome tip or dual 2.5" beveled chrome tips (add $30).

Resonator - A resonator can be added to any system for $70. A 14", 18" or 22" resonator can be selected. Longer resonator = deeper tone. NOTE: 3" systems are ONLY available with the 14" resonator.

Fitment - Our system bolts up to the factory cat flanges and uses the factory hangars.

Catalytic Converter - A high-flow cat can be added to any system for $135, and can be purchased separately for $155. Keep in mind, this will have to be welded in after installation (to ensure proper alignment and such), but it's still a hell of a deal.

Pricing - (with resonator, dual tips, all hardware, and shipping INCLUDED) is as follows:

3.0" aluminized $535, stainless $635

Another photo of our prototype system:

We also offer 2.25" and 2.5" diameter systems for the Maxima - Same great build quality, more resonator choices available, and even more affordable than the 3" system.

Shipping to Canada? Of course we ship to Canada! Add $35.

Turnaround time (for delivery in the US) is roughly 8 days. Sometimes we're faster!

One last prototype pic!

Aluminized or Stainless - Which to choose? - Aluminized (not aluminum) tubing is a coated mild steel. It's basically what most auto manufacturers use for OEM systems. Not as resistant to corrosion and weighs a tiny bit more. Performance is identical.

Aluminized steel is great if you live in an arid climate and don't really worry about rust. If you live in an area with a lot of snow, rain, or near the ocean, stainless is a smarter choice. Stainless will not corrode and is guaranteed for as long as you own the car.

Contact and ordering - http://www.brmexhaust.com .

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

What is a resonator, and do I need one?

A resonator is critical for a street-driven car. Here are some basic, layman's terms explanations:

There are 3 common ways to reduce sound in an exh system: Resonator (reflected waves), muffler (wave absorbtion and reflection) and silencer (reflected waves and restriction). BRM uses a resonator and a straight-through muffler on its systems for the S13 and S14.

Resonator is a straight-through chamber sized larger than the inlet / outlet, sometimes with baffles or slots (think old-school cherry bombs). Tuned properly (through placement, diameter, length, shape and location) it will actually cancel out certain frequencies as the sound waves collide, yet does not impede flow.

Muffler is a chamber with internal walls (think of a maze) that the gasses travel through. As the waves pass through, they are disrupted and "chopped up" and the sound is absorbed by the surrounding packing (think of an insulated room). Can be restrictive depending on design - if it's a straight-through design, it will not impact flow and actually makes very little impact on the sound (primarily "fine tunes" the exhaust note).

Silencer is a conical obstruction placed in the exhaust system which reflects sound waves back against themselves, cancelling certain frequencies, much like a resonator. But it also works by restricting the amount of flow, thereby reducing sound levels. May as well shove a potato in your tailpipe and bore a small hole in it.

Keep in mind, all systems are built TO ORDER. We don't maintain an inventory, so we're able to offer you lower prices. No silly "group buy" requirements. You want it? You GET IT. :dblthumb:

Our turnaround is QUICK, and our warranty FAR exceeds that of any other companies making a Maxima catback. No hassles, no silly limits - A lifetime warranty on workmanship and components. Beat THAT. :)

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I've been getting a lot of questions about Maxima systems in general, so I'm going to post up here and hopefully answer as many as I can.

Right now, we have 3rd-Gen and 5th-Gen systems available, ready to order.

I've gotten this question a lot: "Why don't you build something for the 4th-Gen?"

Here's the deal - Each time we build a manufacturing jig, it's an expensive proposition. We had a ton of interest in both the 3rd-Gen and 5th-Gen, but very few systems sold... Just for reference, since we released the Maxima 3" system, we've sold over 200 240sx systems. Also, since the 4th-Gen had some mid-range changes, we're looking at TWO separate jigs... as a purely business decision, it's got to make financial sense before we'll jump headfirst into it - I'm sure you guys can understand.

So far, I think we're offering a completely competitive product at an extremely reasonable price.

Another question I'm seeing a lot: "Can I use my own muffler? Can I use my own resonator? Can I bolt your mid-pipe to my axle-back?"
<sigh> We've done this for a long time, and we engineer each system specifically for great overall performance, as well as the best sound in the business... but there's always someone who thinks they want it built differently, for whatever reason.

So, absolutely - We offer a piping kit, bent specifically for your model, that you can weld up any way you want... Be advised, your results may vary, and if you weld some no-name muffler, or some allegely "JDM" muffler on, and it sounds bad / performs poorly, then you're probably not a real talented exhaust engineer. ;)

Here's another one: "I went all through the Magnaflow catalog, and I don't see [insert product here]."
Simple answer - Magnaflow builds a certain number of products for the consumer (end-user) market. There's another complete array of products that are "jobber-only", and we (and our sister company) buy our components by the truckload. So, there may be a few things that aren't in the consumer catalog - Don't panic, it's not voodoo. We have access to a lot of cool stuff. :)

(Now, if I can just talk Magnaflow into making a longer resonator in 3"....) :poke:

Another one: "Why don't you make headers?" This one's pretty simple: For as labor-intensive as they are, it's really hard for us to compete with stuff made overseas. Even if every 10th one is junk, they're still shipping them into the US for less than what it costs us to buy the steel... Hopefully, that'll start to turn around soon. We designed a set for the 350Z / G35 back in 2004, and our 3rd set was used to knock off a replica (which was on the market a month later for $200 LESS). :mad:

The best question so far: "Can I get a price with shipping to 90210?" You bet - http://www.brmexhaust.com - we made it so simple, even someone from SoCal can use it.
:couch

I'll add more info as the questions come in. In the interest of time (I have an absolutely insane schedule), I'm going to ask that you pop in here and ask questions, so that everyone can benefit from the discussion. I really appreciate everyone's inquiries, and I want to make sure everyone gets the attention that they, as a customer, deserve. Obviously, this isn't a real strong money-making venture - But I enjoy the feedback from satisfied customers, and it makes the work worthwhile.

At any rate, we're completely committed to taking good care of our fellow Nissan enthusiasts, and it's what's kept us busy for the past 10 years... I'm always available to answer questions (please make sure you've checked http://www.brmexhaust.com and this thread first :) ).

Thanks, and be safe out there!!!!

I30_drifter
Car: 1996 Infinity I30

Will this system fit on a 1996 I30?......

BoostedA33
Car: 2001 Maxima @10psi 5mt
2005 Altima SE-R 6mt

I30_drifter wrote:Will this system fit on a 1996 I30?......
^^I would say your I30 has more in common with a 96 maxima than it does with a 3rd gen or 5th gen.

To the OP,

Question 1). Supercharged VQ30DE-K on a 3.125in pully (10psi). I am running cattman headers and y-pipe into the stock cat. From the cat flange I am running a custom mitered SS 2.5" catback with a magnaflo "voodoo" muffler. Resonated. I am unsure of the size of my resonator, but I would estimate it to be 12-14". Also maganflow. My understanding is that an astute exaust builder would opt for maximum velocity rather than more flow.I.E. 3" catback.

Basically Im asking if you have evidence that a 3" BRM set up would allow me to make a few more HP somewhere in the curve. Im not, like, calling you out lol just want more powah! :naughty:

Question 2). What would be the turnaround if I ordered one tomorrow?

Question 3). Will this have any effect on ground clearence if Im lowered? Im at about -1.75in from OEM height.

Thanks.

AZhitman
Administrator

Hey man!

1) Correct assumption, although high velocity can be attained but still have insufficient flow. So, both are important. I can't speak from personal experience, but all of our Maxima customers have leaned towards the 3", and I trust their judgment. You'll ensure velocity remains high, and increase flow by reducing restriction (plus, everything will be tuned (by placement) for maximum power output and sound quality. I'd be pretty surprised if you didn't pick up 3-5 hp.

2) Turnaround is 8 days, sometimes we're quicker. :)

3) Absolutely. There's no getting around the physics. :) A 3" system will take up more space than a 2.5" system, reducing your available ground clearance by .25". However, a 1.75" drop is pretty mild, so I can't imagine any issues.

Glad to help!

depsidynamic
Car: 2003 Nissan Maxima SE

Anyone looking for pictures of the exhaust installed can checkout my photobucket and also youtube account!

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q319 ... %20Maxima/
http://youtu.be/j3LRvStia5E
http://youtu.be/Y3ZLYxF6fq8
http://youtu.be/wbgnCCPmfLM

Great exhaust for a great price!!

I am also dropped about 3 or more inches. I think I've rubbed the tips once because of a really steep slope. It felt like a 45degree angle.

nyci30
Car: 1998 Infiniti I30

Yany chance of you getting a sound clip? Idle, startup, revs, drive by, flyby ? The tone that its defined as is what om aiming for, i did a stright pipe, 2.25" after the cat, deleted the resonator and muffler, not as loud as i expected

AZhitman
Administrator

I don't know if there are any sound clips out there, but I know this: We've been building exhausts for almost 15 years now, with over 1200 units sold. Haven't had a single customer return a system because of the sound. :)

Sound clips on a computer are kind of a waste of time - It's impossible to replicate the actual tone through a microphone on a cell phone or digital recorder, and then trying to play it back on computer speakers makes it worse.

Word of mouth is the best descriptor.

nyci30
Car: 1998 Infiniti I30

True, well when i can afford it, ill buy it. My straighy pioe is decent, but not growling enough, nor loud enough. And sorry about this, but im going off topic, i recently made a post & havent recieved a reply, i was wondering if you can check out out for me. Its in the maxima & i30/35 category, the topicis (p1320 & p1400) unless you can have someone else you know check it out a well, and another post i have also, thank you.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”