2nd gen Rogue Check Engine light code U0284

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
zeekster
Car: 2017 Rogue S AWD

My 2017 Rogue has a check engine light and the battery light on for a week now. BlueDriver scan tool comes up with code U0284 Lost Communication With Active Grille Air Shutter Module "A". Have tried to clear the code but it comes right back up and says it is a permanent code until the issue is fixed.

Anyone have this issue or heard of it? BlueDriver software says it is a common code for my 2017 Rogue. On has 24,000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Rogue One on Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revise Title

KoiMaxx
Car: 2017 Rogue SL AWD

zeekster wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:41 am
Lost Communication With Active Grille Air Shutter Module "A"
That's interesting, I was not aware the Rogue had active grille air shutters. From a quick Google, it seems U0284 on Nissans returns conflicting results, but generally indicates an issue with one of the sensors.

http://u0284.enginetroublecode.com/nissan-rogue
http://u0284-nissan.autotroublecode.com/
http://u0284.enginefaultcode.com/nissan-rogue

Have you changed any parts or done any maintenance recently?

maher871
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV

I have a 2018 Rogue SV with 37500 miles and out of nowhere the check engine light and the battery light popped up on the dash. Of course it's just out of warranty and the code is for lost communication with the active grill shutters. I have looked all over google and come up with nothing. Anyone out there have any ideas to keep me away from the dealer.

For the record the grill shutters are open and clear. The Rogue also has not been in any accidents.

Thanks Again.
Last edited by Rogue One on Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

maher871 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:37 pm
I have a 2018 Rogue SV with 37500 miles and out of nowhere the check engine light and the battery light popped up on the dash. Of course it's just out of warranty and the code is for lost communication with the active grill shutters. I have looked all over google and come up with nothing. Anyone out there have any ideas to keep me away from the dealer.

For the record the grill shutters are open and clear. The Rogue also has not been in any accidents.

Thanks Again.
:welcome:

Merged with existing topic. Please see previous posts above.

maher871
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV

Any Mastertech's here? Is it possible a bad battery or alternator could be the cause?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

When a shutter jams or the motor quits, the no-comm code is generally what you get. For some reason they're set up to simply quit talking to mom when there's a problem, not upload diagnostics. If you don't have a bad shutter motor, then chances are the wiring harness took a hit and is broken inside the loom where you can't see it. The battery light is a different story, the two aren't generally connected except maybe through the IPDM. I'd definitely suspect a wiring issue with both lights coming on at once.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Oh thank god I have a first generation, thank my lucky stars I don't have to deal with all those driving assistance technology that can go wrong. Let alone these active grill shutters that I became aware of recently.

Driving with these computers on wheels is just only time before something goes haywire.
Now you have to worry about some computer geek hacking to steal or control you're car. :inout:

I'm sure self driving cars will be great in the far future, but not when I'm alive. :squint:

Seriously thought we see futuristic cars when the year 2000 came. Just looking at the road today looks as if cars are not really modern. Of course the concepts look futuristic but everything seems bland in reality. :gotme

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

casperfun wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:39 pm
Now you have to worry about some computer geek hacking to steal or control you're car. :inout:
Nissan actually did something very smart regarding the hacking issue. The BCM's have always been non-programmable via the CANbus, but that's mostly protection against theft. The big danger from hacking has always been the radio / AV Unit, since it's the one device that must connect directly to the outside world. So there's always been a danger of a hacker hijacking the radio via USB or bluetooth and having it mimic instructions from the engine, ABS, and other critical systems. This has become more crucial with every year, since any car that can start, stop, steer and "see" the road, can certainly drive itself off a cliff if instructed to. Recent Nissan models all have what are called "CAN hubs", which are basically supervisors that connect multiple CAN buses together. The one that connects the AV Unit to the rest of the car now has a strict list of valid messages that the AV can send, and if anyone hijacks the AV, they'll discover a "hard-programmed" firewall that won't let through the slightest junk. Very well thought-out and very effective!

Turbo_Jay
Car: 1973 Datsun 240z

Just had the same issue turns out it was just the dealers bad solder job that was causing it. I just put a heat shrink butt connector and so far so good.
Attachments
IMG_2280.jpeg

Return to “Rogue Forum”