2nd gen Altima reliability - better info (please sign up)

General discussion area for the L30-chassis Altima
mkaresh
Car: 2003 Mazda Protege5

I wanted more up-to-date auto reliability information that included actual repair rates. So in late 2005 I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now reports absolute repair rates that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, to track cars closely as they age.

We've been providing results for the 3rd and 4th gen Altimas for some time now. We'd like to start doing the same for the 2nd gen cars. So I'm very grateful that AZHitman and this forum have been so helpful.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the Altima, for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Car reliability research

mkaresh

The 1998, 1999, and 2000 are now all in the survey, but more participants will be needed to fully cover these and the 2001.

Help get your year fully included:

Car reliability research

mkaresh

Starting this month we have a new question to measure, as objectively as possible, the severity of a problem. Many people have been asking for reliability stats that weight problems by how severe they are, and once we have enough responses with the revised survey we'll start providing this.

mkaresh

We have updated results for the Altima to include owner experiences through September 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of next year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

1999: 79, better than average

Very small sample size, so this result is not precise.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

Nissan Altima reliability ratings and comparisons

mkaresh

We have updated results for the Altima to include owner experiences through December 31, 2010.

Just one year for this generation, so far. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

1999: 97, better than average, small sample size

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

mkaresh

We've updated the results for the Nissan Altima to include owner experiences through March 31, 2011.

With a reported repair frequency of 100 repair trips per 100 cars per year, the 1999 Altima is about average.

We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants we could provide more precise results and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

mkaresh

With the latest update we didn't receive enough responses to provide any stats for the 2nd gen Altima.

More participants very much needed for these cars. Details here:

Car reliability research

mkaresh

We continue to need more participants to provide stats for this generation of Altima. Otherwise, it might be best to drop the 1998-2001 from the survey.

To help get your year back into the results:

Car reliability research

mkaresh

I got very busy with the site, and stopped participating in forums for a while.

Now that I'm back, I'd like to get the second-gen Altima back into our reliability stats. As earlier, just a few more participants per yer could do it!

mkaresh

Not enough responses for these to include them among our reliability stats. A few additional participants would get them back in.

www.truedelta.com/join

CoupeVQ35CVT
Car: '98 Lexus GS400, '91 'Yota Land Cruiser
'09 Altima Coupe 3.5SE CVT, '06 Sentra 1.8 SE

I recently purchased a 98 Altima, with 203k miles on it and several maintenance and PM work done by previous owner. So far I've driven it 4k miles with only changing the oil and brakes. Squeeks on the driver front wheel (bearing?) but nothing to worry about so far. I should have already signed this one up after selling my coupe so hopefully that helps.

mkaresh

Unfortunately, still not enough responses to cover this generation. A few more for the 2001 would do it.

Return to “2nd Generation Altima Sedan (1998-2001)”