2jz or 1jz mount kit.

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
1991ls13
Car: s13 ls1 hatch

i`m thinking of the 2jz or 1jz for my s13 but the kit from 2jz tech or drifting.com is like 1700 bucks,...WOW! there has to be a way to do this cheaper.any suggestions?thank you

ngibson
Car: 90 s13

There was a company selling the kits called Ruckus Racing they have the mount kits for $350. I doubt they're still in business though.

They can be made for cheaper than that as well - but the 2jzswap kit comes with everything you need. Any shop should be able to make it fit pretty easily, here's what my mounts look like and you can make them a similar way:

It's just a plate mounted to the block, with the U welded farther back on the plate to match up to our cross member and keep the motor as far back as possible. I don't have pictures of the other side yet - I can get them for you if you're interested.

1991ls13

sweet thanks,but what about the cross member?

ngibson

You use your stock crossmember. The tranny crossmember will have to be modified though.

1991ls13

ok sweet, i might be leaing toward the 1jz then over the ls1.its just going to cost so much for the ls1

ngibson

There's a lot of little things that need to be done to get the 1j, that do add up as well. I would do a part comparison and price breakdown of each. Determine what your ultimate goals are, as far as power, is it going to be drag / drift / autox / whatever. And go from there.

1991ls13

ok thanks

its going to be a dd.

goals are mid to high 400s on pump gas with maybe around 14-18 psi

drag most and sprinting and drifting sometimes.

of course i want to buget but i want it to be done good so i`ll pay a few extra here and there.does this sound reasonable?

ngibson

A singled 1j will get you there. You won't need a big turbo either - I'm going with a gt40-88 and it'll be mid 500's on like 19psi.

LS series will make over probably 350 with the headers and whatnot needed to swap it over - this is just a guess, I don't know much about the LS swaps.

I know what you mean - a lot the stuff can be made yourself if you have some fabrication skills and tools. The fuel lines need to be moved to the other side of the engine bay, and a custom clutch line needs to be made. The latter still needs to be done on the LS swap anyway.

However on the wiring, i wouldn't skip out on that. I suggest 2jzswap.com's wiring service. You send out a ka harness and the 1j harness, they send you back a plug and play harness ready to go.

If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask - I've done a lot of research on the jz swaps before I built mine.

1991ls13

sweet man, are you done with your? or still in process.if i could get the the 1jz for around 2k.not on a byget but do try and keep it cheap with the stuff i ca with.what do you think the price of everthing would come up to.just an idea, dont have to be exact.and thanks Much for your time and concern

ngibson

I'm still in progress with my build. You can find all the pictures here:

zer...build

You're going to be looking at pricing:

Motorset: 2500Driveshaft: 500Mount Kit: 350Shifter ext: 300Wiring: 550Speedo + tach interface: 160fmic + piping: 300

Those are pretty close to what you're going to pay - but that's without little things you can do yourself if you have some good fabricating skills - like the fuel lines, clutch line, throttle bracket etc. If you've got a welder / someone who can weld, that will save you a ton of money.

But the wiring price is exact, unless you get a shop to do it for you. Then there's tuning, any gauges you might want etc. Don't forget the wide rims to hold that power down too!

migsk8
Car: 240sx

1991ls13 wrote:sweet man, are you done with your? or still in process.if i could get the the 1jz for around 2k.not on a byget but do try and keep it cheap with the stuff i ca with.what do you think the price of everthing would come up to.just an idea, dont have to be exact.and thanks Much for your time and concern
im gonna have to say go ls1, you know how all those honda people are all like YEAH!!! all motor is the greatest blah blah blah, but then they get blown away with a turbo car? that doesn't happen with the ls1. you have the best of both....make that 3.1)all motor reliability2)insane amounts of HP and even more torque3) your car will start up every day and you dont have to worry about leaks, couplings, intercoolers, all that crap. and besides you get 25mpg with a v8. what is there not to like ? yes thats right 25mpg with the t56 tranny

like cnichols(hybrids moderator) told me once you do it you wont regret it

p.s. he sent me this video of him at the track, turn up the speakers on your computer listen to that damn thing open up, JESUS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOw1WctKR8I

1991ls13

thats one reason why the ls1 is on my list too, an the biggest one yet.thanks your your input though

ngibson

migsk8 wrote:im gonna have to say go ls1, you know how all those honda people are all like YEAH!!! all motor is the greatest blah blah blah, but then they get blown away with a turbo car? that doesn't happen with the ls1. you have the best of both....make that 3.1)all motor reliability2)insane amounts of HP and even more torque3) your car will start up every day and you dont have to worry about leaks, couplings, intercoolers, all that crap. and besides you get 25mpg with a v8. what is there not to like ? yes thats right 25mpg with the t56 tranny

like cnichols(hybrids moderator) told me once you do it you wont regret it

p.s. he sent me this video of him at the track, turn up the speakers on your computer listen to that damn thing open up, JESUS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOw1WctKR8I
I'm glad an LS fan posted up here - didn't wanna corrupt him completly with a 1j swap haha. Let us know what you decide, I'd love to see the build up.

1991ls13

yes, most definitly will.since im going to be doing most of it myself and friends,hopefully some people that already have done this will help me through the process.

i really want to do the ls1 swapbut the 1jz and going kat is in the back of my mind to.

ngibson

1991ls13 wrote:yes, most definitly will.since im going to be doing most of it myself and friends,hopefully some people that already have done this will help me through the process.

i really want to do the ls1 swapbut the 1jz and going kat is in the back of my mind to.
I was considering a ka-t as well. I didn't go that route because I blew 2 NA ka's. If you're going to do a ka-t, do it right is my suggestion. I know someone else will post about it but I suggest building the block, at least with bearings and rods.

My roommate and I did a price breakdown of a 1j'd stock, or a ~350rwhp ka-t, 1j'd turned out to be cheaper (that was doing a built ka with pretty much the best parts for reliability and tuning and an auto 1jz). I'm biased, I'm a huge Supra fan and love the jz series motors.

Again, just take your time and do all the research. Price breakdowns will be your best deciding factor depending on your budget and timeframe. Doing it yourself will save you a ton of money as well.
Modified by ngibson at 10:22 AM 11/18/2008

onlydrinkkoolaid 240Love
Car: white 240sx

Man I want to do a 1jz swap so bad but I want to cut cust on get the motor mounted I have experience with welding just cant really come up with a draft of what the mounts should look like and what kind of metal do you think I should use

1991ls13

dude this post is so old lol wow.i remember when i posted this,from my sig you can tell i ended up just being a big boy and went with the most reliable bang for buck swap,still i think a 2jz is awesome.

Flicktitty
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx 2JZ-GTE Swapped
1994 Toyota Supra
2019 Lexus GX460
1992 Lexus SC400

onlydrinkkoolaid 240Love wrote:Man I want to do a 1jz swap so bad but I want to cut cust on get the motor mounted I have experience with welding just cant really come up with a draft of what the mounts should look like and what kind of metal do you think I should use
the Tech2 Swap kit is the stock Crossmember just cut down and rewelded. i'll get some pics to show ya.

onlydrinkkoolaid 240Love
Car: white 240sx

thanks man really need could use some advise and pics

mexicanracer03
Car: 95 S15FRONTEND SR20DET and 97 2JZ GT4294/ 93 SC300 Black/ 95 SC300 Green

1991ls13 wrote:ok sweet, i might be leaing toward the 1jz then over the ls1.its just going to cost so much for the ls1
I would go LS1 It makes so much better low to mid power and TQ.

and if you wanna get crazy with it just put a SC on it your done.

1991ls13

mexicanracer03 wrote:
I would go LS1 It makes so much better low to mid power and TQ.

and if you wanna get crazy with it just put a SC on it your done.

lol bro, if you notice, im the one who said this....like months and months ago, if you would have read the hole thread, and seen my sig, you`d know what i ended up going with. best bang for buck thats for sure. took me a while to decide, did my hw and took the bulls by the horn

Return to “Hybrids”