280ZX Driveshaft Issues

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
jwall54
Car: 1982 Datsun 280ZXT 2+2

Hey guys i just got myself a 1982 280zxt 2+2, and having a little bit of an issue. I am removing the Borg and Warner T5 transmission, to replace the clutch, and having an issue removing the driveshaft. The bolts are very rusted and have tried using PB buster and also heating them, but nothing is working, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on removing this. I am new to Datsun but not new to turning a wrench. Any ideas would be appreciated, Thanks

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

The bolts to the diff can be frustrating. Keep up with the penetrating oil soakings regularly. Consider using a wire wheel to brush off any excess rust (to avoid rounding the nut off). Be sure to use a hex socket, not a 12 point (to avoid rounding the nut off). Put the tranny in gear and the e-brake on tight to keep it from spinning. Use a breaker bar with the hex socket and torque on it to pull out all the slack in the driveshaft (I mean, it always seems to turn a few degrees even in gear and with the e-brake on) when you can't move it anymore, use a hammer to hit the breaker bar with a sharp blow. I hope that explanation makes sense. Anyway, this should help in breaking them free without rounding them off. Another way to hold the shaft from spinning is to put another wrench and socket on another nut and you pull that one on tighter while using the breaker bar to loosen the one your working at.

Don't give up because one won't come off. Work on one at a time and be sure to move on to the other three even if you don't break free the first one. Each time you'll get a little closer to having them all off.

Sometimes, rare of course, you can try and tighten the nuts or bolts to break them, then go back to loosen them once they turn a hair or two. Worst case? Cut em all off and replace them. I don't recommend that until you've rounded them all off accidentally.

PS - Be careful with a torch. You are near your gas tank.

PPS - Welcome to NICO Club!

jwall54

Some good tips I can't get a nut on the drive shaft but I'll try the wore wheel

jwall54

Wire wheel and I appreciate the concern with the torch

jwall54

So I attempted again to get them off, I can't get a socket over the nut due to the slip yoke on one side being too close and the diff on the other. So I used wire wheels and got the rust off, heated and still using PB buster. The open ended wrench is still sliding off and causing the nut to start to round, I tried to heat it and use vice grips, and the nut still doesn't budge. The next step I think will be cutting it. Any suggestions on what to use to cut it? I am going to cut it on the drive shaft side, because if I accidentally cut the mount i can get a new one easier the the diff (and it needs to come out the diff doesn't).

centralcoaster33

Oh, yeah, I forgot that a socket won't fit in some places. Access is too shallow. I've used a crows foot or even a monkey wrench in those places (while avoiding the 12-point tools).

For a careful cut, I use a dremel. It's kind of slow, but not too bad when just focusing on a nut or bolt. I use those brownish/ clay looking wheels maybe an inch or so in diameter and wear eye protection because sometimes they explode and the wheel bits fly in all directions, including my face. For more blunt cutting, a disc grinder is fast, but I'd be afraid of my accuracy on a driveshaft.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

I've never had much issue wiht these particular bolts other than difficulty accessing the nuts in various chassis due to sway bars, just cut them off with whatever cutting tool you can get in there.

jwall54

So here's the update i used a angle grinder to cut the bolts off. When doing so had no issues didn't even have to pound them out when the nut was off. Thanks for all the advice now I am onto the transmission removal.

centralcoaster33

Yay for progress!

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”