280zx drifting question

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
nismo 03
Car: Nissan 240sx

this aint the place for this but since the 240 community is better known for drifting i have a question that is going to help me on my project!!!

has any one ever seen a 280zx drifting and how do they handle????

nissanman04
Car: '90 240SX, '95 Subaru Legacy

if it's not the place, then why post? not too many of us have driven a 280zx, so you won't get a whole lot of worthwhile responses.

nismo 03

but having the experience of drifting should give you a little bit of knowledge to know if it should be done

zenkii
Car: 95 240sx

hopefully this foroum could answer all your drifting techniques

http://www.drifting.com/forums/

nismo 03

ok no it didnt

Crunkrich
Car: 1992 Nissan 240SX (R.I.P.)
2000 Cherokee Sport 4x4

I'm not going to do the research for you, but look for some things to compare and contrast the cars. Wheelbase, front/rear weight distribution, width of wheelbase, weight of car, etc. That should get you started.

edit: POST #499!!!! And just two days of away from me being here for a whole year!! Must... wait... two days... to post.... again... for... the... big... FIVE HUNNNERD! haha

neverlift

well I have not driven one so I cant say from experience,however I did watch a mofo drift one around some cops around a corner and 180 all under control,then a few miles up the road he owned a pole or tree cant remember....

anyways I think yeah I mean look at the rally cars they dirt drifted all day. It may take more then say a 240sx(money/mod wise) but anything is possible. Go for it let us know.

chitownguy
Car: 74 260z and 85 325e

I've seen a 280z drift before. But since they dont have powersteering it gets pretty hard. Also Z's have Macpherson struts all around. Coilovers arent bolt-on and the cars are old so rust is bound to be found somewhere on the car.

neverlift

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...earch=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...earch=

first guy can, second guy can NOT first one's JDM

zenkii
Car: 95 240sx

^ hot vids

whiterps13
Car: white LE hatch

The guy in the first vid has skills..

neverlift

sure did, that was real 4w drift,so out of control in total control btw ps is overrated for drifting it IMHO is not a need,done it both ways,yeah ps is easier,but no ps feels better(again my .02)

I did notice a ton of body roll in those and a few others I dug up,one was at a scca cone setup,he stalled,mad funny too....

nismo 03

chitownguy wrote:I've seen a 280z drift before. But since they dont have powersteering it gets pretty hard. Also Z's have Macpherson struts all around. Coilovers arent bolt-on and the cars are old so rust is bound to be found somewhere on the car.
no rust on my z i just cant find parts for it i been looking all day and found a few places but no one has what i want

Bwana
Car: Denali

Make your own/adapt stuff.

chitownguy

What kind of parts you need?

nismo 03

headers for the t3 turbo, Inter cooler, Suspension, Rotors (might go with the 300zx) LSD system, 5 gear tranny(junk yard rebuild most likely). 1 more thing i dont know what it is called but my 280 is carburetor not fuel injection and it needs a box looking thing that goes over the over it.

chitownguy

For suspension you could get the ground control sleeve overs and use Koni's or you could get the ArizonaZcar coilovers which is what I'm getting. Motorsport Auto has lots of stuff that you need too. And I dont know what your talking about for the carburetor.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

Why do you want to drift a piece of history?

You will probably wreck it and we will all have to kick your sorry butt for wrecking a classic car. Then we will make a floof mat out of your hide as a warning to all. lol

Dont do it. Just restore it.

nismo 03

chitownguy wrote:For suspension you could get the ground control sleeve overs and use Koni's or you could get the ArizonaZcar coilovers which is what I'm getting. Motorsport Auto has lots of stuff that you need too. And I dont know what your talking about for the carburetor.
its like a housing that surrounds the carburetor and allows air to force is way into the carb..

nismo 03

i have had the car for 3 years i was taken from a pos to a decent car and killed of by me when i added the turbo the engine is back and better then ever after being rebuilt and i just want to go all out restore it but i also want to get sideways with it

DJButton
Car: 2010 Nissan 240sx

Well my 280 is decent enough I suppose, but I certainly wouldn't actually drift it, I've gotten a little sideways in the parking lot leaving work, but honestly there's so many things I'd replace before doing any serious driving. Sway bar's/strut bars/full cage would be first in order of body roll, and coilovers, upgrading stock brakes along with an LSD would be enough, I suppose to track it. If you're already rockin the L28ET then you should have enough HP to drift as well. I have a good condition '79 280ZX 5sp, Save yourself some time and money and buy it from me! Already FI and 5Speed. lol

eds13
Car: 89 240sx Hatch, 07 Armada LE, 06 M35x, 97 C35 Laurel, 94 JDM Q45

that first vid is really good

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

ok, it's a header as in singluar as it's an inline 6, not headers plural as in a V6, and it's not a header it's an exhaust manifold, the stock turbo exhaust manifold can be found on ebay form $50-$100, and if you've got carbs on a 280ZX then someone swapped them in! and if you want to torbo the L6 then unless you are a gifted fabricator and a carb wizard or stumble upon an old turbo tom set up, you're gonna want injection, the easiest and cheapest was is to use a complete 82-83 280ZX Turbo Donor

the 280Zx uses the R200, same as you're 240sx, only it's the longsnout version, any LSD carrier you can fit in you're 240sx will fit inside the 280ZX housing with the 280's gearset, that second vid looks like an open diff to me

an on the drifting thing, you don't want a car to handle if you want to drift, you want it to stay flat, drifting is to excede the maximum slip angle, we do this by taking compliance away so as to narrow the allowable slip angle, stiff suspension, tires with large tread blocks

adn the 280zx does not use macphearson on the rear it uses a shock and a seperate spring taht rides on the semitrailing arm, I believe with a threaded shock body a standard 2.5 coil spring would clean in the rear, if not I know I've seen a seat adapter to secure and allow for use of the smaller ID standard springs

dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

^ thanks! this thread has served its purpose, but i honestly doubt the op has the capability to use the info

nismo 03

DJButton wrote:Well my 280 is decent enough I suppose, but I certainly wouldn't actually drift it, I've gotten a little sideways in the parking lot leaving work, but honestly there's so many things I'd replace before doing any serious driving. Sway bar's/strut bars/full cage would be first in order of body roll, and coilovers, upgrading stock brakes along with an LSD would be enough, I suppose to track it. If you're already rockin the L28ET then you should have enough HP to drift as well. I have a good condition '79 280ZX 5sp, Save yourself some time and money and buy it from me! Already FI and 5Speed. lol
name ur price and show me the pics

nismo 03

evildky wrote:ok, it's a header as in singluar as it's an inline 6, not headers plural as in a V6, and it's not a header it's an exhaust manifold, the stock turbo exhaust manifold can be found on ebay form $50-$100, and if you've got carbs on a 280ZX then someone swapped them in! and if you want to torbo the L6 then unless you are a gifted fabricator and a carb wizard or stumble upon an old turbo tom set up, you're gonna want injection, the easiest and cheapest was is to use a complete 82-83 280ZX Turbo Donor

the 280Zx uses the R200, same as you're 240sx, only it's the longsnout version, any LSD carrier you can fit in you're 240sx will fit inside the 280ZX housing with the 280's gearset, that second vid looks like an open diff to me

an on the drifting thing, you don't want a car to handle if you want to drift, you want it to stay flat, drifting is to excede the maximum slip angle, we do this by taking compliance away so as to narrow the allowable slip angle, stiff suspension, tires with large tread blocks

adn the 280zx does not use macphearson on the rear it uses a shock and a seperate spring taht rides on the semitrailing arm, I believe with a threaded shock body a standard 2.5 coil spring would clean in the rear, if not I know I've seen a seat adapter to secure and allow for use of the smaller ID standard springs

ok so best bet is to get another 280zx and take my weber system off and replace it with a regular intake manifold. upgrade suspension, breaks and add a roll cage.

what if i just droped a 350 small block with a blower????

evildky

nismo 03 wrote:

ok so best bet is to get another 280zx and take my weber system off and replace it with a regular intake manifold. upgrade suspension, breaks and add a roll cage.

what if i just droped a 350 small block with a blower????
it's been done, nothing new there,back to your car, you said webbers? DGV's or DCOE's? how good with carbs are you, there are plenty of N/A L6's putting down 250 whp with the DCOE's, I don't think DGV's are up to task, how about you start telling us about your car, for instance, what engine and cylinder head do you have? the block casting in cast just forward and below the drivers side engien mount, the head casting is cast between #1 and $2 spak plugs at the base of the head

nismo 03

o have no idea what that is

all i can tell u is that it is a 280zx non turbo l28e

the turbo was added by my self and a friend. computer took a **** on it self and died after playing around with it for a few i took it to a few mechanics that acted like dirt bags and try to tax me a lot of money just to look at the car. Finally in a desperate move i went with the carb. and got it running again. the engine had a huge leak coming from the back towards the tranny. so it was taken apart and rebuilt. after that i dont know but i think we put the distributor in wrong and have had a b!$t% of a time trying to get it to go.

Now their telling me to get it running or get it out of the garage ant truth be told i wan to keep it

chitownguy

evildky wrote:adn the 280zx does not use macphearson on the rear it uses a shock and a seperate spring taht rides on the semitrailing arm
Yea I forgot he was talking about the 280zx and not the 280z.

evildky

nismo 03 wrote:o have no idea what that is

all i can tell u is that it is a 280zx non turbo l28e

the turbo was added by my self and a friend. computer took a **** on it self and died after playing around with it for a few i took it to a few mechanics that acted like dirt bags and try to tax me a lot of money just to look at the car. Finally in a desperate move i went with the carb. and got it running again. the engine had a huge leak coming from the back towards the tranny. so it was taken apart and rebuilt. after that i dont know but i think we put the distributor in wrong and have had a b!$t% of a time trying to get it to go.

Now their telling me to get it running or get it out of the garage ant truth be told i wan to keep it
ok so you did the turbo swap on the L28E, with stock L28E electronic's? something went wrong so you swapped carbs so it's now just an L28, whay carbs? are there 2 or 3? are they downdraft? or sidedraft? is there a thumbscrew in the top of the carbs? when you re-assembled the block did you line up the dots on the oil pump with the dot on the oil pump/distributor driveshaft? was the cam and timing chain set correctly with the crank? and at TDC compression when the oil pump and shaft were slid back into place? and when you put the plug wires back in you remembered taht the distributor spins counterclockwise so the plug wires are connected in firing order counterclockwise? just trying to hit all the typical problems people have with these, they are pretty easy to deal with if you know what to look for

so do you still have the turbo parts? did you get the harness, ecu, distributor & driveshaft, j-pipe, intake manifold, injectors, downpipe? wasegate actuator? are you content with the N/A coonfig or are you wanting to get back to the land of boost? lets establish what you have and where you want to go and lets see if we can help you get there

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”