280z swap question

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
tcz
Car: 02 wrx

sup guys. i had a quick question..and yes i tried the search and got a few things but didnt see what i wanted.

how hard is it to fit a rb motor in a datsun 280zx? rb25det or rb26dett. i know the rb26 is hella expensive but idk if it would be worth the extra money?

and if i were to get a shop to do the swap for me, what u think they would charge? im not a mechanic and i have just about 0 time to learn to become one so i would most likely get someone to do this for me unless i do it over a few months.

thanks guys.

PS i will also look at hybridz.org

nismo 03
Car: Nissan 240sx

its been done before from what i know.

Hope i get this

The RB engine is a 2.0L to 3.0L straight-6 piston engine made by Nissan.

It has an aluminum head with both SOHC/DOHC versions, with the SOHC versions having 2 valves per cylinder and the DOHC versions having 4 valves per cylinder, all cam lobes move only one valve. All RB engines have belt driven cams and a cast iron block. All turbo models have an intercooled turbo (except the single cam RB20ET & RB30ET engines), and most have a recirculating factory blow off valve (except when fitted to Laurels and Cefiros) to reduce boost surge when the throttle is closed.

Ok the rb 25 and 26 can fit. How ever since the rb26dett from the Nissan Skyline GTR r32/r33/ & r34 are AWD you will have to use the sr20de or det tranny, some new motor mounts, electric fan, custom exhaust, wire harness, ECU, custom intake pipes for the inter cooler and a few more things

have fun o and the rb26 is better and ur looking at 5000 plus i think

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

the RB sits nicely and wil bolt in if you use the rb20 oil pan, oil pickup, and engine mounts, I've heard this places the engine a bit high and you're better off making custom mounts, the problem is the power per dollar spent to convers, if you simply swap in the L28ET you can have as much power with far less expence, the RB does have more power potential but most people seem to stop building around 400 whp which is where the pistons give way in the L28ET, if you need more than 400 whp then the RB might be the right choice, if you are light in the walet and only running low 11's is ebough for you then the L28 is the way to go

nismo 03

evildky wrote:the RB sits nicely and wil bolt in if you use the rb20 oil pan, oil pickup, and engine mounts, I've heard this places the engine a bit high and you're better off making custom mounts, the problem is the power per dollar spent to convers, if you simply swap in the L28ET you can have as much power with far less expence, the RB does have more power potential but most people seem to stop building around 400 whp which is where the pistons give way in the L28ET, if you need more than 400 whp then the RB might be the right choice, if you are light in the walet and only running low 11's is ebough for you then the L28 is the way to go
THE L28ET ONLY PUSHES 7 LBS. OF BOOST UNLESS HE GOES with a different turbo set up he will be running like a normal 280zx turbo and from what am getting out of this he wants to go fast so the rb sounds better

sharjt
Car: '06 G35 Sedan 6MT
'83 Datsun 280zx turbo - RIP

nismo 03 wrote:
THE L28ET ONLY PUSHES 7 LBS. OF BOOST UNLESS HE GOES with a different turbo set up he will be running like a normal 280zx turbo and from what am getting out of this he wants to go fast so the rb sounds better
WRONG!!.

With an Electronic or manual boost controoler and a good intercoller he can efficiantly run up to 14 (I heard even 16) LBS of boost on the stock turbo.

nismo 03

hahahahaaaaa dogg yes if he does that yes he can run 16 18 lbs of boost yeah but i never added that to the equation

i said a stock would run him 7lbs of boost so no i was not wrong!!!!(as u said.)

DJButton
Car: 2010 Nissan 240sx

meh ^

Cost/perforance and fun ratios. Plug some numbers in see what it's really worth to you, L28ET's are reliable and probably loads of fun with some more h,p even great in stock trim though if you ask me. That's what I would go with if I were you. RB's are not bad, but if you are concerned with cost then the cheapest option is an RB20. It's only a 2.0 so why lose the .8 litres you already have stock on an engine that can already take 400hp vs. a smaller engine that can handle similar amounts of power before serious engine work yet costs more to swap in? Looks like you already have narrowed it down to a 25 or 26 so if you want to pay a shop to do it expect to spend 7-10k for an RB25DET swap complete unless you have some good shop relationships already, RB26 same deal but more cash. If money is not a concern then I don't know what to tell you, cept wish I had that problem. Or just go L20ET right? Old school skyline fun! Anyhow, hope that helps somewhat,

evildky

nismo 03 wrote:
how much boost does a stock rb run? guessing 10-14 psi, but that doesn't matter because we're talking about making power so stock goes out the window, and 7psi at 30 cfm from a stock turbo isn't the same as 7 psi from a 60 cfm t3/t4 60-1, also the stock turbo is fully capable of over 20 psi it's just beyond it's efficiency, 18 psi is about as much as is usefull after that you're pretty much pushing hot air, it's a matter of how much power you want, how much you're willing to spend, and how much work you want to do

tcz

DJButton wrote:meh ^

Cost/perforance and fun ratios. Plug some numbers in see what it's really worth to you, L28ET's are reliable and probably loads of fun with some more h,p even great in stock trim though if you ask me. That's what I would go with if I were you. RB's are not bad, but if you are concerned with cost then the cheapest option is an RB20. It's only a 2.0 so why lose the .8 litres you already have stock on an engine that can already take 400hp vs. a smaller engine that can handle similar amounts of power before serious engine work yet costs more to swap in? Looks like you already have narrowed it down to a 25 or 26 so if you want to pay a shop to do it expect to spend 7-10k for an RB25DET swap complete unless you have some good shop relationships already, RB26 same deal but more cash. If money is not a concern then I don't know what to tell you, cept wish I had that problem. Or just go L20ET right? Old school skyline fun! Anyhow, hope that helps somewhat,
^haha i wish money wasnt a concern. then i would do the rb26.

but from what everyone is saying the L28 seems to be good. i could live with under 400hp. but is that engine reliable? i mean the car would prob be my second ride, unless i sell my wrx and invest that money in it.

what will the L28 require for me to get around 300-350rwhp?what about a LS1 engine or some type of muscle car engine?

Stealth-Z
Car: 1991 300ZX

Check out http://www.hybridz.org

Most likely all your questions will be answered there.

ZXR_KiD
Car: 1979 Datsun 280ZXR (yes a real ZXR)

Evil D is probably the best on the board to ask about the L28ET's reliability, he flogs the heck out of his and the only real problems to my knowledge with the motor is he's had a couple lifters collapse, other than that he hasn't found a clutch that will hold up in autoX conditions...

nismo 03

tcz wrote:^haha i wish money wasnt a concern. then i would do the rb26.

but from what everyone is saying the L28 seems to be good. i could live with under 400hp. but is that engine reliable? i mean the car would prob be my second ride, unless i sell my wrx and invest that money in it.

what will the L28 require for me to get around 300-350rwhp?what about a LS1 engine or some type of muscle car engine?
The L28et was built like a tank( ).

yes they are reliable. I still like the rb26dett or the rb30det (hard to find) but if low money is what u have then a stock l28et is what u are looking for

o and sell the wrx i need one

tcz

^thats funny cause i had a few deals going with some people about trading a swaped s13 with sr20det and other goodies plus like 6k for my car. but i think i have changed my mind and now looking into the 280z. idk im still looking at upgrading my wrx a little more to get it around 280awhp. and having a 400+whp rwd car on the side....either a 280z or s13. or something else i can afford. the project car will take me a while to build though. so we will see.

thanks for the info guys.

evildky

for relaibulity on 350 whp from an L28ET I would recomend, chipped Z31 ecu swap, SDS or megasquirt n spark, DSM injectors with pallnet or similar fuel rail, high volume fuel pump, T3O4E 57 trim at about 18 psi, FMIC, ARP headstuds and a metal headgasket, on a healthy bottom end that should make you're 350 whp no problem, keep in mind if you do an RB you still have to have the I/C, larger injectors, fuel pump, and most likley a larger turbo and aftermarket managment, the SEZ shootout is coming up in march in reynolds GA, go there (I hope to be there) and see lots of super fast L28ET's

nismo 03

if u want a 240sx i have a one for $600 it has a dead head gasket

Stealth-Z

nismo 03 wrote:
rb30det (hard to find)
Not hard to find, just expensive to ship!

evildky

I thought the RB30DE was not available as a turbo?

Stealth-Z

evildky wrote:I thought the RB30DE was not available as a turbo?
The RB30 was a block Nissan exported to the Australian market. It originally came with a single over head cam(SOHC) setup in the turbo and non-turbo variety. Some cleaver individual discovered, with a little work, you can adapt the RBx double overhead cam head (DOHC).

There is a nice 239 page thread about the conversion on Skylines Australia.http://www.skylinesaustralia.c...15420

nismo 03

Stealth-Z wrote:The RB30 was a block Nissan exported to the Australian market. It originally came with a single over head cam(SOHC) setup in the turbo and non-turbo variety. Some cleaver individual discovered, with a little work, you can adapt the RBx double overhead cam head (DOHC).

There is a nice 239 page thread about the conversion on Skylines Australia.http://www.skylinesaustralia.c...15420
AUSTRALIA AND middle east fun engine but has more less whp than the rb26dett

Roostmonkey

stock l28et can handle 10psi without any other mods whatsoever.Get to 12 or so and an I/C becomes a very good idea.Just going from the stock 7psi to 10 is pretty impressive. Thats where it all starts...pretty soon you want 12 then 15 then you upgrade everything till your over 300 at the wheels then only an RB will keep you happy so you swap out your built l28 and then....oh wait, thats what I'm doing. I need help...I'm hooked.

nismo 03

hahahaha so what u trying to say is get the rb dont beat around the bush it will be more money in the long run if u do go with the l28et

evildky

bost is definitely addictive, I ran mine stock for a very short time, like a week and then started turning it up, got to 10psi with stock managment and then to 13 with megasquirt before adding the I/C, now running 20psi with an T3O4E thought a failing bottom end

ZXR_KiD
Car: 1979 Datsun 280ZXR (yes a real ZXR)

odd how the "addictive boost" has the opposite effect on me, I drove mine boosted for a week on low boost then about 4 days on raised boost, sure it was fast, but I honestly liked driving the N/A setup better, so I'ma gonna build up a nasty lil N/A motor and find a desent S-30 chassis to put it in, as I grow tired of S-130s

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”