280z is putting

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
Wasatch7
Car: 90 300ZX Coupe NA
76 Datsun 280Z Coupe

I have a 76 280z and when you turn it on it will putt down and die. If you are lucky then you will be able to get it up above 2500 RPM. When it idles it idles at 750 to 1500 rpm and whn you give it gas it starts to putt and almost dies can anyone help?

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Not a lot to go on here, basically the car won't idle, sound about right?

Could be a number of issues even a combination thereof. I'd start with the plugs, cap wires and rotor button, it they aren't all in good shape or more than a few years old I'd replace them. Next I'd check for vac leaks, not just att he manifold but the rubber boots that lead from the AFM to the TB can all cause issues, if any of them are cracked and allowing air in they could be the cource of your issue. I'd check electrical connections, starting with the AFM pigtail, unplug it and make sure it's clean and dry and then I'd check the CHTS (looks like an injector clip located on the front of the lower thermostat housing), Then I'd check all the injector clips, these are a common issue on injected L6 engines, they get hot and become brittle either at the plastic clip or the wires that lead to them (these are standard bosch fuel injector clips and can be bought fomr any decent parts supplier). Fuinally fuel, Is the fuel pump coming on? you should be able to hear it, it's external, mounted just in front of the tank on the passanger side, if it's not coming on it could be a bad AFM, relay, ecy, wiring or pump, if the pump is coming on thes next thing is to check the fuel pressure, idle pressure should be around 40 psi IIRC. Hopw this helps, please follow up and let us know what you find.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”