280 problem

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
KaDrifter

I recently aquired a 80 280 zx for the low low price of free from my friend. The car sat for about a year we put a battery and some oil in it and it started right up. but now at low idle it knocks like it is about to blow up but when you push the clutch pedal in it goes away for the most part. there is no pedal and no fluid in the clutch master cly. you can feel it in the clutch pedal but not in the gas pedal. what could it be transmission problems or does the motor have bad bearings? right now it is my project car and plan on rebuilding the motor high comp with side drafts and header. also where could i find some old school parts like side drafts and down drafts?thanks

yozsi
Car: Racing

sounds like the tranny, for those parts try zcarparts.com

KaDrifter

yeah i think it is a pressure plate problem thanks

yozsi
Car: Racing

i highly doubt it is a pp problem

KaDrifter

well it doesn't happen all the time the master tech at the dealership i work at said it sounds like a pressure plate don't know for sure but i'm putting a new genuine clutch kit in it i get killer prices for working at the dealershipthanks

Altiman94
Car: Paintball, cars, outdoor sports

it's a clutch problem. The disk is probably broken, or the center hub itself is. I had this same problem on my 240

KaDrifter

thanks for the info

Chuck Hanlon
Car: road racing, drags, camping, fishing, grandkids

A freind of mine has several sets of trible carbs for L28's in his shop covered in dust, will probably sell them reasonable. Brent at Z-Doc's in Tampa 954-977-2676. He has all kinds of used parts for Z's

reggiegsd
Car: '94 Q, '73 240Z

Tampa has three Zcar shops that are worth investigating.

Z-Docs is the most business like. They have been around in one form or another since the Seventies. They developed a convertible Z (more like a roadster) in the late Seventies. They have a large clientel and can handle most any Z or other Nissan. They have mechanics and want to keep them busy with billable hours.

If you are looking for someone to modify a ZTT or a 350Z, take a look at Z-Fever. Doug knows the new cars well and has done some interesting work for clients. However, he drives an NSX. He is a great source for ZX wheels for your Q. 813-877-7600

If you are an old Zcar fan, then you MUST go see Andy at Just Zs. This guy has done more wierd things with Zcars than anyone I have ever met. He also has every imaginable part for a 240, 260, or 280Z or ZX. He has a triple SU carb setup that just rocks. He does have some strange business practices, well, its hard calling what he does a business. Andy squirts out more Z knowledge in his morning dump than most so-called Z experts will ever possess. He can make your stock AC unit in a '72 Z freeze you solid, in Tampa, in the summer. If you are looking for parts or advice, call Andy. 813-873-8004

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”