240z vibration

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
cch98

When I go in reverse in my 240z and turn the wheel to the right, the while car vibrates and makes a pretty loud noise. I can't tell exactly where it is coming from, and I'm not sure where to start looking. Any ideas?

djwarner
Car: 1971 240Z Series I
2006 350Z

You don't say how far the wheel is turned when the vibration starts, also what wheels and tires do you have.

From your description I would look for worn U-joints and worn rubber bushings on the traction control rods (located aft of front axles).

Next would be the Edd China wobble test for worn suspension bushings, ball joints and wheel bearings.

cch98

The vibration tends to start when I turn the somewhat hard (like when backing out of a parking space) but not when the wheel is moved only a little bit. I have Kumho ECSTA AST tires (225/50R15) with 81 Turbo "Snowflake" rims (6-jjx15 10). My u-joints feel and look fine, and the rubber bushings on the traction control rods have some large cracks, but they feel solid and I cant wiggle the rods. The inner tie rod end boots are ripped on both sides of the car. The previous owner put in lowering springs, could that be connect to my problem?

djwarner
Car: 1971 240Z Series I
2006 350Z

If this is occurring at low speed, I suspect you have tire rubbing somewhere. I did a quick check at

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

and it appears that a clearance adjustment on the inside was made when they selected the new wheels. Clearance on the outside suffered from both the new wheel and wider tires. Complicate this with lower springs gives you a triple whammy for interference with the fender.

I'd suggest you take the car to a parking lot where you can maneuver. Turn the wheel in the suspect direction and check the tire clearance to the fender and strut. Then without turning the wheel, put the car in reverse for about 6 feet allowing the car to coast to a stop. Check the clearance again. Third, reverse the car again. This time apply the brakes to stop, not releasing the brake pressure until the car comes to a complete stop. Check the clearance again.

BTW the control rod bushing are not expensive and can be changed without lifting the front end. Contrary to the usual rubber getting hard, these bushing go soft and offer less support.

Feel free to use the site above to double check my numbers.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

I kinda wonder about the mustache bar mounts. Also does the car have a rear sway bar? Many of these are very tight fit and can rub if the end links aren't the exact right length.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”