240Z shocks

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
Speeddoctor
Car: Nissans, Infinitis, datsuns, motorsickles,
NICO founder April 22, 2000

What is a good shock for the 240Z? How much? SD

reggiegsd
Car: '94 Q, '73 240Z

What do you want the car to do? Is it stock or modified? Lowered? How price sensitive are you?

I always use Tokico Illuminas (not cheap) on my street Zs. Koni gas shocks (not the "hydraulic" shock) are nice too, but cost even more. I use coilovers with Carrera shocks (sometimes Penske) for track use.

For a decent "stock" shock (cheap) look at KYBs.

Are you catching the Z disease? Watch out, its VERY HARD to cure.

Speeddoctor

reg: I think I mentioned picking up a 72 240 out of California last year. Had it in storage from last Feb when it arrived until I could get some time to play with it a few weeks ago.

It has low miles 21K, Orange but in fair condition due to the ravages of Southern CA sun on the interior and exterior....Strong engine..sounds great and it is my first Z and I am in love. A head turner with boomers and xers. I want to keep it stock...saw the KYBs and I like the price!

I have a black 36K 1600 and a baby blue 65 p/u...all very original and drivable. I am slowly bringing each up to higher standards of repair..sticking to a strict budget and planning on taking a few years to restore them all simultaneously.

It is nice to drive them and work on them ad lib. THe Z's shocks are gone!!!

If I am not mistaken, you live in Tampa? Tell me about your Z SD:)

reggiegsd

I've owned 17 Zcars so far. Everything from 240s (lots) to a 91 Twin Turbo. I've done V8 conversions, built Solo II and track cars, even built a 71 with all of the European parts and modifications.

3 years ago I had 5. I sold my last track car and a nice 78 with a 83 Turbo drive train and a 88 turbo then. My wife sold her 77 2+2 with a Ford small block and an auto about 6 months ago. I still have a 73 with a 83 NA drive train and a nice 210hp motor. It is a great setup for a daily driver.

If the milage you quoted is accurate (some times it is hard to tell) and the rust monster has not gotten you, you have something worth keeping. Every single interior part is available from one source or another. Watch out for some of the reproduction rubber, alot of it doesn't fit well.

Don't get your hopes up about the car becoming a valuble classic. Only the earliest 240s, early 1970, have any real chance at reaching "collector" status. The car is way to "common." Make yourself a nice driver and enjoy it.

Speeddoctor

Reg: Thanks for the advise. The car has no real rust to speak of. It has always been in CA. The miles are actual.

I bought it primarily because I hope to have a showroom/small museum in NIco's office someday and I want to have some historically significant models on display.

I almost fainted when I heard about all of the Zs you have owned. Very cool testimony to your passion for them.

In the future, (1-2 years) I want to pick up a Z to go vintage racing with. Some of the vintage groups have 2-3 hour enduros and my son will just be old enough to co-drive with me.

I look forward to meeting you soon. SD:cool:

reggiegsd

Keep an eye on GRM. They normally have one or two decent Zcars for sale that are race ready. With a little attention you can pull a competative regional car with spares for under $10K. You certainly can't build one for that. Most Vintage race groups will allow a non-tube frame car built the GT2 specs.

Figure 250hp, 2100 lbs, and real reliability.

Speeddoctor

Good advise. Reliabilty is key....Its great to just show up and race. Did you see that Nissan Motorsports has a 350 Z body for tube frame applications? SD

reggiegsd

Tube frames are the main reason I backed out of SCCA competition. Its not unusual for a nationally ranked GT team to have a $750,000 budget. Too many low skill car bashers with unlimited money. So much for club racing.

There is a new class (can't remember the designation) that limits cars to very little modification, along the lines of a Solo II street prepared car. Could be interesting.

You can do alot with these cars for not alot of money. The knowledge base is astounding.

Don't sucker on giant wheels. The car is very sensitive to tire width and unsprung weight.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”