240z pics?

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
blink0r
Car: Turbo(s), making fun of Daunttless, naked girls, and guitar.

I'd like to buy a 240z, but obviously i know nothing about them....

I wanted the same body style as the 73, but which years do that include? Engine specs? Any info will be great!

boMex

It's lonely out here blink

reggiegsd
Car: '94 Q, '73 240Z

There are several web sites that specificly address the early Zcar. Give http://www.240z.org a try as a start. In addition, almost every metro area has an active Zcar club.

Early Zcars are cheap to buy (if you hurry), cheap to own, and serious grin inducers.

Look for the best body you can afford. Mechanical upgrades and repairs are cheap, rust repair IS NOT.

drjohn

70z was the first year and that body stayed until 73. The 260 started in 74 and had emission and carb problems. When looking for a 240z pay close attention to wheel well openings and rear hatch areas for rusting out and bad repair work,tons of bondo. Also put it up on a lift if possible and check the frame rails under the floor boards and the rocker panels. The old one's would rust away and this can cause costly repairs.

blink0r
Car: Turbo(s), making fun of Daunttless, naked girls, and guitar.

Thanks!!!

There's one in my area ('73) for $5500 canadian. I called the guy, no rust... no problems. I wish i could buy this freakin' thing!!!

CU Zcar
Car: 1972 Datsun 240Z - BSP

Many people say "no rust" but it may be well-hidden under Bondo or underneath the body. My 78 280Z (the 240, 260 and 280 were essentially the same body, the 280 just had huge steel bumpers tacked on...and fuel injection) had pretty severe rust in the rear hatch and taillight area sheetmetal, in the front rocker panels and lower fenders, and in the driver's frame rail. I had the frame rail replaced and ground all the other rust off and covered with fiberglass and bondo, so you can't see the rust but it's still there. I'd hold out for as clean a car as you can afford. Mechanical stuff is easy and, for some, fun, to fix but body work is the realm of the true restorer in my opinion.$5500 Canadian is about $3500 USD, I'd think that car ought to be decent if it's fully worth that amount (I paid $1000 for mine with plenty of rust, I've seen worse rust on cars costing three times that). Check very carefully! Maybe take a trip down to Arizona or another arid US state and find one that's been baking all its life in the sun, some cars out there have near-pristine bodies supposedly. :D[edit] here's some pics:beautiful restored 240Z for sale I saw online oncemy car a long time ago, just back from the paint shop with the large bumpers unboltedrecent pic of my car after a cheap repair to hood (deer impact)

not_a_porsche

Quote »70z was the first year and that body stayed until 73.[/quote]

Close.

The 260Z's made in 74 came in 2 styles, the thin bumpers were used on the 260 until June 1974. After that they switched to the larger bumpers.

The most sought after Z's are the early model 240's made in early 1970. They changed the carburation in late 1970 or 1971, I am not sure which.

Colby Bruce

While the body remained the same, there were some minor differences. The original model Z had air vents below the rear deck glass, this was changed to the side of the body under the "Z" emblem.

In July or August of 1972 the carbs were changed for the worst. If I remember right the new ones looked like upside down aluminum cylinders, they were not "bell shaped" like the original carbs. The black rubber between the body and bumpers was added about that time too.

I have photos of mine but no scanner. I sold mine with 178,000 miles on it and replaced it with a Corvette. Big mistake.

red240ne
Car: mmm...donuts

i want to buy my teacher's 240z from him. his is all banged up because a tree fell on it during a bad storm we had 5 years ago, but it's alright. he hasn't even turned the car on for like 3 years, but i still want it.

reggiegsd

Get it cheap!!! Running parts cars are generally available for free up to $500, depending on content and condition.

Go to some of the early Z sites and READ. Nothing will break you heart as bad as investing time, money, and love into your "dream" car only to have it disolve into an undrivable rust pile in a year or two.

If you really want one, pack up and go to Arizona. That is about the only place you are likely to find rust free cars driving about. There are a couple of companies that will find one for you.

qxt45

Really check for rust, one book I read on Z's stated "the areas most prone to rust were anything that wasn't rubber, glass or plastic". I have an early 71 240 that needs alot of new steel, but it was the best I could find. Some I looked at had huge holes in the frame rails inside the engine compartment as well as the frame inside the front fenders. Be very cautious.

specialkonrd

sounds liek those things rust up like old preludes heh

reggiegsd

The British invented rust; licensed it to the Italians who turned it int an art form; then licensed it to the Japanese who revamped it, simplified the installation process, then added it as a no cost option into everything they built untill 1986.

pfp24
Car: cars

another place to look for rust is the right side frame rail under the battery, this is the biggest rust spot on Zcars because the battery box came from the factory with a drain tube that passes there and most owners never cleaned the box or draintube so the batteries back then overflowed and the corrosive acid foll on that portion of the frame .The only repair for that is to replace the complete fraim rail or dump the car ,it also damages the firewall. I own a very nicely restored 77 280z which I did a complete strip to metal restoration and the 280zx turbo mod with a stand alone SDS fuel management system and advice or halp needed drop me an email will be happy to assist

Max240
Car: cars, sports, my wife

blink0r wrote:I'd like to buy a 240z, but obviously i know nothing about them....

I wanted the same body style as the 73, but which years do that include? Engine specs? Any info will be great!
dude, that avitar is hillarious!! where did you get it??

NISTECH

why do you guys think nissan cut their little restoration projects on the old z short? cause there werent enough 240z's out their that werent rust buckets. they only restored around 200 of them then quit the program. far short of the 2000 they were suppose to rebuild

Xero

I think that was their plan, since they were selling them for ALOT of money...and people didn't want to pay that much, 'cause they knew that they could restore them themselves, I've seen a nice orange one for 15k, no one will buy it, it's been for sale for atleast a year now,

reggiegsd

It was also costing far more to rework the cars than they had originally planned. They will be interesting collector items one day. The only factory authorized restorations.

iKoL
Car: fixing my 240z

i got a 70' 240z sitting in the shed curently under restorration. it is probably one of the biggest rust buckets ive seen/had. the problam im having is lack of money to fix it with what would b the most cost efective way for me to get it up to scratch?...

reggiegsd

Here is the hard answer.

Sell it and invest your money in a rust free body. That will cost far less than fixing the rust you have. Typically, you will have to replace the floors, frame rails, and rocker panels. Add to that, rear wheel arches, front fenders and hood, and the rear light panel. A typical rust repair and repaint is in the $5500 to $6500 range. Sorry, early Zs are not worth that investment, at least not yet.

You can buy alot of nice car for that money. I have owned 18 Zcars so far and restored several of them. I have never been able to recover money spent on body work.

There are people in the Southwest that will find a good car for you and ship it.

As an example, (Not a sales pitch) I have a '73 Z with no rust, an MSA body kit, a Tokico suspension, 16 inch Epsilon 3 piece wheels, and a full '83 drivetrain. The most I could get for this car is $5500 - $6000.

iKoL
Car: fixing my 240z

the only places it has rust left are on the hood, doors, front fender, and along the top of the boot apart from that i have fixed the rest. Apart from that i have already spent 3000NZ$ on it which i aint gonna put to waste it has been a family project for about 3 years and im the only one wich had money and the time. and where can i get new badges for it?...:confused:

reggiegsd

It sounds like you have a good start. Each of the pieces you mentioned are of the bolt off, bolt on nature. There are some good sources of after market body parts for the Z that actually fit. I believe they are available in Australia too.

The little detail and trim parts are now available thanks to Nissans restoration program. I hope you have found the internet resources that are available. I have included a few just as starters. The first three are clubs with tons of info and the others are vendors with good reputations. Sorry, but they are all in USA.

http://www.datsunzclub.com/

http://www.classiczcars.com/

http://www.hybridz.org/

http://www.zcarparts.com/

http://www.classicdatsun.com/

http://www.strictlyz.com/customer/home.php

Sleeper s13
Car: road racing

I was wondering if anyone has explored the possability of reman fiberglass replacement pannels? It wouldnt work for the frame or the floor pans but it may for the wheel wells. it would also reduce some weight on an already very light vehicle.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”