240sx vert rear harness bar install...

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
Chaluska

I havent been able to find all too many installs or pics of the harness bar installed in the vert... and after buying one i know why :P

i got the typical s13 hatch harness bar, thinking it might fit in between the verts large interior panels.... man was i wrong..

the bars main problem was how far back it went, and the angles it was intended for.. i already had the bar, so i busted out the saw and welder, and cut the ends of the bar down about 6" shorter, and re-welded at a bit more agressive angle... and now it mounts on the oem lower seatbelt bolt hole, and the top mounts to the thick metal door retainer bracket. overall it sits about an inch higher than the back of the s14 seat... i can still fully scoot my seat back, and recline it enough that i cant reach the steering wheel..

pictures were a little hard to get in the dark in my garage, but it is pretty easy to fit.. also kind of interesting that the bar is a 2.5" diameter and is schedule 40 steel... i was pretty happy about that!

this is whats sitting in the engine bay of the vert...

there is no doubt about how tough this bar is, im a really husky guy at over 6'0 300 lbs, i stood and jumped on it and had no flex or movement at all.. the only movement was the car rocking left to right.

I could definitely recommend this to anyone who doesn't want to eliminate their back seats, but wants to utilize harness's properly..

greenwood
Car: 92 Vert

If you are going through the trouble of installing that harness bar for saftey, and you have that larger more powerful engine under the hood, I dont understand why you just dont have a roll cage made with a harness bar as the cross bar.

Chaluska

i didn't want to get rid of the rear seats, i wanted to still be able to use the car as a functional driver.. i don't intend on going insane with the car, and drifting / grip / racing.. i just wanted a bad-a** car to drive around in on the weekends.

its not for structural support, im not saying it is to stiffen up the car... although, it is stiff as heck on the car, thats not what i got it.

greenwood
Car: 92 Vert

Your rear passengers will just break their necks on the bar or cave their head in, in the event of a wreck.

Chaluska

my rear passengers are typically pit-bulls 99.999% of the time, but if i have humans in the back seat, i will simply ask them to grab the rail like its a roller coaster!! then they will be more adept to survive an impact!!!

-but on a serious note, this obviously is not for anything other than maintaining a "stock looking" interior. i didnt want to go all hardcore caged out, for a car which is not going to be used on a track. at the height i have the bar at, the person would more likely headbutt the front headrests, before they hit the bar.

boricua_s13

looks pretty cool how you made it fit. :dblthumb:

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”