240SX STARTER KEEPS CLICKING HELP

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Rasmitty1999
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX

I have a 1993 240sx and I can’t seem to figure out this starter issue. I just rebuilt then engine and everything trying to get it running correctly. The starter has been working perfectly fine, and when I went to turn it over for another time “keep in mind I have had it running and has been turning over many times trying to start it for the fresh rebuild” it just starting clicking rapidly. Nothing has changed other than I moved the ground of the battery in a different location thinking that was the issue but it was not. Because i did relocate the battery to the rear. Also had my battery and starter checked, today and they both checked out good. PLZ HELP I just want to get it running so I can drive it! :gotme

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Check voltage drop across the ends of your starter cable. DC electricity gets tremendous loss over short distances. Rule of thumb is that a trunk-mounted battery needs cable two standard gauges thicker than a battery in the engine box. So if your cable was 6AWG you need to go to 2AWG, if it was 4AWG you need to go to 1/0, etc.

Rasmitty1999
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX

@VStar650CL I checked all of that I have 0 gauge wire all the way. I checked voltage to the post in the front and getting about 12.65 voltage to the post. So I purchased a new starter and just now I went to test the starter and it actually turned over. So I was excited took a minute and when I went to do it to check it before turning on fuel it started rapidly clicking again?!?!?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Has to be a problem with either voltage to the solenoid or the ground between the starter and the block. Put a voltmeter on the starter solenoid terminal, it should stay near battery voltage when you turn the key. If it drops way off then there's a resistance problem in the solenoid circuit (starter relay if it has one, ignition switch if it doesn't). Checking the ground is simpler, put the meter on millivolts and measure between the block and the starter body. It should read 0V at all times, if it jumps off scale when the key is turned then the starter body isn't making a good ground.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”