240sx automatic to manual transmission conversion s13 and s14

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
User avatar
lexrob
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 6:51 pm
Car: s14 95'

Re: 240sx automatic to manual transmission conversion s13 and s14 (Climb385)

Postby lexrob » Tue May 19, 2009 6:23 am

Just another way to get off auto bushing... tried pipe wrench to no success so i took a 3/8 ext. wedged in between crack and smacked it with a hammer and popped her out ... lol


LiShaoLin
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 3:31 pm
Car: 1996 Nissan 240SX SE
Contact:

Postby LiShaoLin » Thu May 21, 2009 3:36 pm

I am really unsure if this is the topic to be posting in this forum, so forgive me if you will!

My husband and I just recently did a tranny swap on our '96 240sx SE, and I've been trying to find out if when I put in a manual ECU into it and take the auto ECU out, will my autostart still work or will I have to rewire it for it to work? And if so, does anyone have a write up for that? Right now the autostart still works, so I wanted to know the results of changing to a manual?

User avatar
JDS Performance
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:31 pm
Contact:

Re: (LiShaoLin)

Postby JDS Performance » Fri May 22, 2009 12:32 am

LiShaoLin wrote:I am really unsure if this is the topic to be posting in this forum, so forgive me if you will!

My husband and I just recently did a tranny swap on our '96 240sx SE, and I've been trying to find out if when I put in a manual ECU into it and take the auto ECU out, will my autostart still work or will I have to rewire it for it to work? And if so, does anyone have a write up for that? Right now the autostart still works, so I wanted to know the results of changing to a manual?
You will need to reiwre for the 5 speed ecu - most people just keep the auto as it does not have the speed cut.Check out my video it covers a ton of info that will help you. http://www.240SXTECHDVDS.org

User avatar
Nismosport_
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:01 pm
Car: 95 S14 Ka24det
Contact:

Re: (JDS Performance)

Postby Nismosport_ » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:31 pm

Ok i have a reall qeustion and it might not cover it in that vid about the drive shaft i have a 95 obd1 white plug 240sx its auto and i have a drive shaft from a 90 non abs manual... My 95 is a abs/lsd so what i was going to do is take the rear section of the 90 which is 23.5 in long and use it as my front section on my 95.. Has any one tryed to do this kinda of stuff.. My rear section is good its just the front i have to do...I was gonna pop out the pins and mix and match to make it work...

User avatar
JDS Performance
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:31 pm
Contact:

Re: (Nismosport_)

Postby JDS Performance » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:01 am

Nismosport_ wrote:Ok i have a reall qeustion and it might not cover it in that vid about the drive shaft i have a 95 obd1 white plug 240sx its auto and i have a drive shaft from a 90 non abs manual... My 95 is a abs/lsd so what i was going to do is take the rear section of the 90 which is 23.5 in long and use it as my front section on my 95.. Has any one tryed to do this kinda of stuff.. My rear section is good its just the front i have to do...I was gonna pop out the pins and mix and match to make it work...
Honestly I wouldnt waste any time or money on stock driveshafts the center (carrier) bearings are usuall ybad abd cost $100 to replace. Just get a 1 piece made and call it a day.

User avatar
Nismosport_
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:01 pm
Car: 95 S14 Ka24det
Contact:

Re: (JDS Performance)

Postby Nismosport_ » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:07 am

My oem drive shaft is good the bearing is on the back part the rear part of the shaft i was gonna mess with the front part... The car has roughly 60,000miles

User avatar
JDS Performance
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:31 pm
Contact:

Re: (Nismosport_)

Postby JDS Performance » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:58 am

Nismosport_ wrote:My oem drive shaft is good the bearing is on the back part the rear part of the shaft i was gonna mess with the front part... The car has roughly 60,000miles
well that be the case I have not tried it so I will not try and answer it.

User avatar
Nismosport_
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:01 pm
Car: 95 S14 Ka24det
Contact:

Re: (JDS Performance)

Postby Nismosport_ » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:56 pm

well the auto to manual s14 shaft is only roughly 1in diff.. Is there a adapter plate to extend one of the joints.. Or would i have to make that my self.. Is the auto s14 end shaft transmission spline the same as manual...

User avatar
JDS Performance
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:31 pm
Contact:

Re: (Nismosport_)

Postby JDS Performance » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:40 am

Nismosport_ wrote:well the auto to manual s14 shaft is only roughly 1in diff.. Is there a adapter plate to extend one of the joints.. Or would i have to make that my self.. Is the auto s14 end shaft transmission spline the same as manual...
no its not them same - the front auto DS will not work on the 5 speed the rear piece will work with the front 5 speed.The ABS DS is .75" shorter than the 5 speed.So you will need to buy a 5 speed DS too - which is why I said just get a 1 piece and call it a day.

User avatar
Nismosport_
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:01 pm
Car: 95 S14 Ka24det
Contact:

Re: (JDS Performance)

Postby Nismosport_ » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:02 pm

Whats the best one piece drive shaft deal out there... The steel one for 350$ or is there better deals

User avatar
95jordan240
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:51 am
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx

Re: 240sx automatic to manual transmission conversion s13 and s14 (180fan)

Postby 95jordan240 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:22 pm

thanks....now i got the idea bout how it goes...

User avatar
JDS Performance
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:31 pm
Contact:

Re: (Nismosport_)

Postby JDS Performance » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:51 pm

shaftmasters is who the last one came from - worked just fine

User avatar
locoluna825
Posts: 862
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:09 pm
Car: 90 240sx coupe
Contact:

Re: 240sx automatic to manual transmission conversion s13 and s14 (180fan)

Postby locoluna825 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:18 am

Ive read through the sticky for the s13 swap but don' see an answer to my question one or two others asked the same thing but never got there question answered.

Ive done a 5spd swap on a 90 240sx sohc, it though i remember seeing in a post somewhere saying that you can use the old auto harness to plug in your 5spd. well when i droped the auto i noticed all the plugs on it are different than the plugs for the 5spd, so how can this be? Did i misunderstand?

Do you need a manual trans harness and you use the auto harness so you can wire up the car so it will turn on and to make the lights work?

if so the manual trans harness is missing on the list of materials form the tut and needs to be corrected.

User avatar
JDS Performance
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:31 pm
Contact:

Re: 240sx automatic to manual transmission conversion s13 and s14 (locoluna825)

Postby JDS Performance » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Not trying to make a sale here but you need to check out my DVD - It will show you how to wire all the plugs in and everything.

http://www.240SXTECHDVDS.org

User avatar
locoluna825
Posts: 862
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:09 pm
Car: 90 240sx coupe
Contact:

Re: 240sx automatic to manual transmiss ... (JDS Performance)

Postby locoluna825 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:00 pm

cool dude i found somewhere you can watch it for free XD ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~

~naaa just kididng lol i still need help on this though

jholling
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:43 am

Thanks for the info everyone

Postby jholling » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:32 am

Thanks

User avatar
locoluna825
Posts: 862
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:09 pm
Car: 90 240sx coupe
Contact:

Re: Thanks for the info everyone (jholling)

Postby locoluna825 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:08 am

ive done all the wiring now, cars been wonderful, drives beautiful. i got the neutral safety switch going, the speedometer(had to rewire it because the previous owner of the trans cut the wire to the sensor), and reverse lights. just recently my engine light came on. i remember reading somewhere that said that would happen, does anyone know how to get rid of the light?

and DON'T suggest black tape please or disconnecting the bulb LOL i would like the light working so i can tell if something else happens to the car.

User avatar
JDS Performance
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Thanks for the info everyone (locoluna825)

Postby JDS Performance » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:48 pm

locoluna825 wrote:ive done all the wiring now, cars been wonderful, drives beautiful. i got the neutral safety switch going, the speedometer(had to rewire it because the previous owner of the trans cut the wire to the sensor), and reverse lights. just recently my engine light came on. i remember reading somewhere that said that would happen, does anyone know how to get rid of the light?

and DON'T suggest black tape please or disconnecting the bulb LOL i would like the light working so i can tell if something else happens to the car.
what is the code for the check engine light? if you dont have a scanner take to autozone and get them to scan for codes.

I had "0" codes on my swap

User avatar
locoluna825
Posts: 862
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:09 pm
Car: 90 240sx coupe
Contact:

Re: Thanks for the info everyone (JDS Performance)

Postby locoluna825 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:14 pm

well i haven't checked the code yet but i know its because of the tranny, it comes on once in a while and stays on for a couple trips then turns off again. i guess ill rip the ecu and check the codes, i hate doing this....

skywalkinv003t
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:49 pm
Car: 95 nissan 240sx

Postby skywalkinv003t » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:40 am

ahhh i love air tools

User avatar
Romeo_rus
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:18 pm
Car: zenki RB25DET - SOLD, zenki SE ka24de - wrecked, zenki - sold, GOLD ZENKI - WILL LIVE FOREVA
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

Postby Romeo_rus » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:25 am

Hello! I got 95 240sx with auto tranny.. and I'm going to do Ka+T and 5 spd conversion all together...I'm going to install s13 5spd tranny and get a s13 M/T ECU with JWT tune and OBDII to OBDI conversion harness.. HOW CAN I MAKE IT WORK??? 1. do I need to drill a hole for CAS?2. what should I wire?3. How do I need to repin harness for the ECU?

Do have it on your DVD?

User avatar
JDS Performance
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:31 pm
Contact:

Re: (Romeo_rus)

Postby JDS Performance » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:50 am

Romeo_rus wrote:Hello! I got 95 240sx with auto tranny.. and I'm going to do Ka+T and 5 spd conversion all together...I'm going to install s13 5spd tranny and get a s13 M/T ECU with JWT tune and OBDII to OBDI conversion harness.. HOW CAN I MAKE IT WORK??? 1. do I need to drill a hole for CAS?2. what should I wire?3. How do I need to repin harness for the ECU?

Do have it on your DVD?
No I do not - JWT has a write-up on thier site to wire up the ECU (I think)As for the CAS yes you can drill the holes for it - if you want to keep the ECU happy you will need it if not you wont.

As for the 5 speed S14 wiring yes that is all on my DVD.

s14derrick
Posts: 1322
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:09 pm
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx
Contact:

Re: (JDS Performance)

Postby s14derrick » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:59 am

For all you guys asking all these questions. if you are that unsure about it check out his dvd. it annswers most everyones questions. its worth the money IMO it has explained all my unanswered q's

kgriffin
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:20 am
Car: 95 240sx

Postby kgriffin » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:33 am

i cant wait to find all my parts and actually do the swap

kgriffin
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:20 am
Car: 95 240sx

Postby kgriffin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:01 pm

ok sorry for the double post but quick question. im about to do the swap finally found all the parts. if i wire the neutral, 5th gear, and reverse lights will i have a check engine light? i have a 1995 se obd1 using the auto ecu. also with the cruse control work?

User avatar
JDS Performance
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:31 pm
Contact:

Re: (kgriffin)

Postby JDS Performance » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:10 pm

kgriffin wrote:ok sorry for the double post but quick question. im about to do the swap finally found all the parts. if i wire the neutral, 5th gear, and reverse lights will i have a check engine light? i have a 1995 se obd1 using the auto ecu. also with the cruse control work?
if you had my DVD you would know the answers to those questions

Since I am a nice guy I will answer them for you

If you use the auto ECU you can not wire in the 5th - its a diagnostic pin location on the auto ECU - its not needed anyway but it might throw a code if not used?

As for the check engine light - some people do and some dont - I did not have one on my video car - I always wonder if people that get a code did wire it up right? I used a 5 speed ECU in my video though.

Your cruise control will work if you wire it up like I do in my video (hey cant give it all away)

kgriffin
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:20 am
Car: 95 240sx

Re: (JDS Performance)

Postby kgriffin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:47 pm

JDS Performance wrote:
if you had my DVD you would know the answers to those questions

Since I am a nice guy I will answer them for you

If you use the auto ECU you can not wire in the 5th - its a diagnostic pin location on the auto ECU - its not needed anyway but it might throw a code if not used?

As for the check engine light - some people do and some dont - I did not have one on my video car - I always wonder if people that get a code did wire it up right? I used a 5 speed ECU in my video though.

Your cruise control will work if you wire it up like I do in my video (hey cant give it all away)
thanks for your help, as for the 5th gear sensor doesnt this guide show you how to wire it in to an auto ecu maybe i didnt read it right idk http://www.ka24development.com....html

kgriffin
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:20 am
Car: 95 240sx

Re: (kgriffin)

Postby kgriffin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:56 pm

kgriffin wrote:thanks for your help, as for the 5th gear sensor doesnt this guide show you how to wire it in to an auto ecu maybe i didnt read it right idk http://www.ka24development.com....html
ok i was reading in the 2007 modified mag on how to do the swap and it says to refer to that guide if you get a manual ecu my bad

User avatar
Dazzla
Posts: 684
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:57 pm

Postby Dazzla » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:26 pm

Doing a 5-speed swap here in my 95' 240. I'm gonna keep the Auto ECU for now...what are the downsides with this?

Is it true that there is no rev limiter? Isn't that bad? What if you mis-shift like 5th to 2nd or something retarded, is your engine toast? lol

User avatar
Dazzla
Posts: 684
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:57 pm

Postby Dazzla » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:34 pm

anyone?


Return to “240SX Technical Forum”

cron