240 Z project, should I buy?

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
mikev88
Car: Audi A3

Hi to all, im a long time lurker, and a first time poster. For a while now there has been a 240z for sale close to me and I am growing more and more tempted. The owner tells me that he has replaced the fenders, floor, hood and the doors. The engine is a 2.8 L turbo which he has bought all the parts for a complete rebuild except some 240sx pistons. Price? 3000$. The big thing is, the car is in pieces, there is the body shells, and the rest is a pile of parts.... I am a bit worried about putting toghether a car that I did not put apart, probably would be a hell of a puzzle.

My questions are, can I remove the turbo from the L28ET and build it NA?I already have a turbo car, and I just got to have triple weber carb for that sound!

I would also consider a V8 swap (Id keep it a nissan with a VH45), what kind of driveline modifications are necessary, trans for sure but what about the rear end what are the options?

So all Z gurus please share your whisdom on this.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

rust is the number one killer, sounds like he has replaced the rust already? Look long and hard at the repairs to be sure they were done right. As for the engine build, I assume has has an f54 dished piston block and a p90 cylinder head, this is a low compression ratio setup, you can mill the head and shim the cam towers with a thin 1mm HG to get the ratio up, or just swap for a flat top block and or a lower volume N42 head, all the l series transmisions are interchangable, the stock diff isn't terribly weak but the r200 is a simple swap and dang near bulletproof

The vh can and has been done but unless you run the automatic you gotta buy or build an adapter to mate to a 5speed

silviabill
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45
sold: 92 240sx Coupe w/RB20DET
sold: 88 200sx Coupe

Definitely buy. If I had the means I would do it.

I agree with the previous post. Make sure you check all of the work that has been done to the car. Look for rust, gaps around doors, and find out how organized his parts are if you're looking to piece it back together.

If you want to do a motor swap to a later model plant may I recommend putting in a turbo 4. Push the block back and gain some weight distribution. Based on your current driver, the A3, you would enjoy the sportier, more nimble feel.

mikev88

I have just talked to the owner. The car has new lowered suspension from tokico,sway bar kit,4 piston brakes with 300zx front rotor,R180 WRX diff with 3.90 ratio+limited slip. 280zx turbo block,P90 head completely rebuilt valves, guides,cam e.t.c. New Hood , doors,rocker,floor, 2 transmissions , BorgWarner 5 spd and 5speed 79zx turbo.

THe car lacks seats, interior bits, weather stip kit, and a lot of elbow grease.

Looks like a good deal, he also owns a body shop so the work should be well done. I am going to see it this weekend.

NSR_s30
Car: '99 Ford F250 7.3L Diesel, '71 Datsun 240Z

Sounds like it'd make a good project. I'd pick it up if I was you. Any pics of it?

mikev88

how much would I get for a rebuilt P90 head and block with crank? THe car willl probably receive a VH45, but I have the choice of buying the car with engine and sell engine or just get the car without the engine. Would that be the kind of part I would be stuck with for 10 years?

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

p90 150 for a good used one, if it's been freshened up may be 200-250, the block, well unless it's a flat top f54 anything you can get, even then they tend to be 100-150, these motors are dang near bullet proof so they are plentiful and cheap, if however the engine has been bored .120 over and is running the ld crank with the 9mm rods and the ka pistons you can get 800 to a grand for it, but I'm guessing the guy just has some ka pistons off to the side in which case a set of 6 good used pistons might bring 50-100

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”