240 sx blown ka

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
masonac240
Car: Nissan 240SX

hey everyone i just recently picked up a 89 240 sx coup with a blown engine or so the guy i bought it from says he said his son was driving home and it overheated and never ran after so I'm worried the head is warped on top of that the dude that owned it before me was a retard and started tearing screws out of the engine bay so now i just want a new engine. my first thought was to just find a dual cam ka off eBay and swap it but after a hour or two of searching i couldn't find anything for a reasonable price. engine swaps cost more than sr20's and if i did a engine swap it would be a ls3 i know, not jdm but a reasonable swap especially because you have low end power and high end power. im only 14 so i cant afford a engine swap so any advice on how to get the car running would be great

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

If you are indeed 14, you can't afford anything. You are a minor. You would need a very indulgent parent or an ignorant vendor to legally buy anything.

JayArr
Car: 1990 Nissan 240SX Coupe

You're going to need to pull that engine no matter what so my suggestion is to do the first things first. Get it out of the car and onto a stand then tear it down to see what's what. Maybe the original engine can be saved, maybe not.

I had my head planed flat and the valves all ported and polished and I re-used it, it works better now than before. Partly because of the port/polish and partly because when you plane a head you reduce the head volume and increase the compression. I can't run regular gas anymore but it screams around town just fine on Chevron Premium.

masonac240

MikeRL411 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:30 am
If you are indeed 14, you can't afford anything. You are a minor. You would need a very indulgent parent or an ignorant vendor to legally buy anything.
My dad had a 240 so when we found this one he bought it, when i turn 18 I'm gonna buy it off him. he works at a hospital as a IT director (if you know what that is) and he has to change everything because the previous people weren't upgrading equipment so currently he doesn't have the time to research so he told me to go to nicoclub and ask some questions i have. thanks for the feed back but i already knew that, besides who cares how old i am i have parents:/and i have to work for every other thing done to the car besides buying it

masonac240

JayArr wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:18 pm
You're going to need to pull that engine no matter what so my suggestion is to do the first things first. Get it out of the car and onto a stand then tear it down to see what's what. Maybe the original engine can be saved, maybe not.

I had my head planed flat and the valves all ported and polished and I re-used it, it works better now than before. Partly because of the port/polish and partly because when you plane a head you reduce the head volume and increase the compression. I can't run regular gas anymore but it screams around town just fine on Chevron Premium.
yeah thanks for the advice, i wanted the dual cam for the extra features it had that made it better for boosting but if i have to i will probably get the current one working and save up for a RB or LS swap. i worried if i start tearing stuff apart i might loose parts and then never have the car working. i have a little under 2 years before i can drive so I'm not in a hurry but there's nothing to do so i decided to start working on it. i plan to do a jdm Silvia front end on it in the near future (or when i have a job) and new suspension but that's just a hope. luckily it has no serious rust, just minor surface rust on the frame rails so for a 30 year old car its what you would expect but yeah thanks for the advice.

JayArr
Car: 1990 Nissan 240SX Coupe

My resto took years Masonac, I used zip lock freezer bags to keep track of all the bolts. As I disassembled the car I put bolts from a similar task in a bag together, Alternator mountings bolts, water pump bolts etc. Then I wanted to clean them all in a tumbler so I further measured and recorded what was in each bag noting if it had washers, what type of head etc. Reassembly was a breeze, I just found the bag that matched what I wanted to install and it was filled with the proper bolts all nice and shiny clean and ready to install. There was no need to try to remember or go look at photos etc.

Pulling the engine will give you some experience and it will do something else, it will make you work through all the bolts that haven't been touched in 30 years. Even if you just do a rebuild when you put it back in you can put never seize on all the bolts and they will all come out so much easier the second time. You may not realize it but the second time you pull the engine on a car it only takes half the time. There aren't any seized bolts and you know what you're doing. If you get the first engine repaired and reinstalled by your 16th birthday you can drive it while you save $$ and look for a LS to swap into it.

Personally I've got a line on a supercharged Aston Martin engine/transmission combo that I think may fit in my 90 coup. 350HP!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I'd just try to find another 89 or 90 SOHC engine and drop it in. If you upgrade to the DOHC, talk to the guys at www.wiringspecialties.com about the harnesses you'll need to swap over.

masonac240

JayArr wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:41 pm
My resto took years Masonac, I used zip lock freezer bags to keep track of all the bolts. As I disassembled the car I put bolts from a similar task in a bag together, Alternator mountings bolts, water pump bolts etc. Then I wanted to clean them all in a tumbler so I further measured and recorded what was in each bag noting if it had washers, what type of head etc. Reassembly was a breeze, I just found the bag that matched what I wanted to install and it was filled with the proper bolts all nice and shiny clean and ready to install. There was no need to try to remember or go look at photos etc.

Pulling the engine will give you some experience and it will do something else, it will make you work through all the bolts that haven't been touched in 30 years. Even if you just do a rebuild when you put it back in you can put never seize on all the bolts and they will all come out so much easier the second time. You may not realize it but the second time you pull the engine on a car it only takes half the time. There aren't any seized bolts and you know what you're doing. If you get the first engine repaired and reinstalled by your 16th birthday you can drive it while you save $$ and look for a LS to swap into it.

Personally I've got a line on a supercharged Aston Martin engine/transmission combo that I think may fit in my 90 coup. 350HP!
you seem like a very detail oriented person, me and my dad do a lot of projects including house work so are garage is small and is full of tools like a table saw and all the tools to tile a shower or to cement in new foundation so are garage is kind of cluttery at the moment, not to mention all the camping gear for are family so we dont have a ton of room to keep stuff organized for are car. we are planning to borrow a friends cherry picker and pull the engine so i can then rebuild it. today my dad told me to wait on interior work and put the car on hold till the engien is pulled then we can work on cleaning the engine bay and then do a rattle can paintjob to clean things up

I sure hope that aston martin swap goes well, i wanted to do a vq35 but the engine was too tall and i would have had to do a raised hood and countless other custom parts to get it working, but thanks for the advice on the car

we are finally getting to go to actual school tomorrow so i wont have much time to work on the car but ig i have 2 years before i need it and the slower i take it the smoother it might go

thanks again Mason

Return to “240sx General Discussion”