240/260/280z trans mounting

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
FAST-DATSUN

I looking for some info on 70-78 nissan z transimission crossmember mounting to the body and what year are the same and all the differances. We located in Murrieta, CA. We are building mounting kits for the Skyline motor into the Z's engine mount done and 240z but i do not know or remember all the differances in the mounting. Mostly the 4/5 spd cars. All help would be good. Email morepower@mckinneymckinneymotorsports, Phone 951-304-9300 Ph/Fax 951-304-1045

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

the 70&71 trans crossmember bolts direct to verticle lugs coming out of the tunel, the crossmember has horizontal mounting tabs on the ends and allow a bolt to go straight through crossmember and up into the mounting lugs

somewhere half way through 71 they changed trannies and the crossmember's flat mounting tabs were replaced with round tubes and using round bushings where it mounted to the body,these bushings would slide between to verticles, this style lasted throught he s30 series and the 5 speeds were exteranaly identical to the 4 speed couterparts datsun simply added an extra gear to the existing tranny

the actual crossmsmber to tranny mount remained the same all the way through 83,

the early cars also had a shorter driveshaft, If you plan to include a driveshaft or just an output yoke I suggest one that accepts standard american 3310 U-joints as spicer makes an adapter for the R200 to use the larger u-joints and the datsun pieces were kinda weak

from a marketing standpoint I think the biggest maket would be in the custom oil pan and pickup and the engine mounts as the r200 mounts out the engine a bit high fro the s30 chassis

240Z_Master
Car: 1971 Datsun 240Z

FAST-DATSUN wrote:I looking for some info on 70-78 nissan z transimission crossmember mounting to the body and what year are the same and all the differances. We located in Murrieta, CA. We are building mounting kits for the Skyline motor into the Z's engine mount done and 240z but i do not know or remember all the differances in the mounting. Mostly the 4/5 spd cars. All help would be good. Email morepower@mckinneymckinneymotorsports, Phone 951-304-9300 Ph/Fax 951-304-1045

I called your shop telling you the differences one time. And I spent about 10-15 minutes trying to tell you the differences but you told me that Nissan gave you some drawing and that's the only mount that was made. If you would have listened this post wouldn't have been necessary.

River City Speed
Car: Datsun 240Z

FAST-DATSUN wrote:I looking for some info on 70-78 nissan z transimission crossmember mounting to the body and what year are the same and all the differances. We located in Murrieta, CA. We are building mounting kits for the Skyline motor into the Z's engine mount done and 240z but i do not know or remember all the differances in the mounting. Mostly the 4/5 spd cars. All help would be good. Email morepower@mckinneymckinneymotorsports, Phone 951-304-9300 Ph/Fax 951-304-1045

You should refer to http://www.hybridz.org for all Datsun Zcar modification information. We have a 5 page thread about your "kit". It would be wise for you to weigh-in, as we(they... Mine is nearly completed) are the ones who will buy the kit. Best of luck to you.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”