'23 Rogue - thoughts?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

So we just found out that my Mother in Law's '17 Rogue is a total loss.

I have never been a huge fan of the car, but it's mostly it's just that it's not my thing. The car served her well until the end, other than a few weeks that it went in for a way-too-soon warranty transmission replacement.

Now I get to help her find a new car. The first thing that I noticed about the current Rogue is the turbo 3 cylinder engine. I know they're doing all kinds of stuff in the name of fuel economy, but man that seems weird to me.

If it was up to me, and I wanted this style of vehicle - I'd be tempted to go get a Toyota with a naturally aspirated engine and a transmission with gears, but sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

So what do we think about the current Rogue?

RickFlorida
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue Select

She needed a transmission replacement on the 2017 Rogue before it was totalled? That sucks.
What was the mileage at and how often was the fluid changed? Was it a V6? It think the V6 or AWD Rogues have CVT failures more often than the 4 cylinders and non AWD so please let me know. Just curious. As my wifes 2015 Rogue Select always worries me even though I change the CVT fluid a lot to prevent it breaking.

The 2023 Rogue's are turbo charged, aren't they? If it's not naturally aspirated engine, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot poll.
We are already rolling the dice on CVT's that don't have launch gears for the first gear like Honda and Toyota CVT's have. (makes the CVT more durable like a conventional automatic).
As far as I know, Nissan Jatco CVT's may be better made today then they were in 2008 or 2010 but they still don't have launch gears like Honda or Toyota. If you add a turbo charged engine that new Rogue may have..... now you got two things to worry about.

That said, my wife's 2015 Rogue Select has been great. I change the CVT fluid a lot to try and make it last. But it's a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder. The CVT's last longer with the smaller engines. A turbo charged engine or even a normal V6 is going to put more stress on the CVT. But back to my wife's 2015 Rogue Select which is why I'm on this forum since I do all the maintence and most repairs on it, it was assembled in Japan so the fit and trim are excellent on it. Annoyingly, they used the same inferior parts that the Rogues made in USA have like the french Valeo alternators instead of Japanese Hitachi alternators like my older Nissans had. The old Nissans lasted forever. The newer the Nissan, the less Japanese parts on it. Toyota is going that route too but they use Japanese owned factories with strict standards in other countries. For example, Hitachi makes the shocks in Mexico but to Japanese standards so Toyota accepts them. But Nissan seems to outsource their stuff now.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

RickFlorida wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:16 pm
She needed a transmission replacement on the 2017 Rogue before it was totalled? That sucks.
What was the mileage at and how often was the fluid changed? Was it a V6? It think the V6 or AWD Rogues have CVT failures more often than the 4 cylinders and non AWD so please let me know. Just curious. As my wifes 2015 Rogue Select always worries me even though I change the CVT fluid a lot to prevent it breaking.

The 2023 Rogue's are turbo charged, aren't they? If it's not naturally aspirated engine, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot poll.
We are already rolling the dice on CVT's that don't have launch gears for the first gear like Honda and Toyota CVT's have. (makes the CVT more durable like a conventional automatic).
As far as I know, Nissan Jatco CVT's may be better made today then they were in 2008 or 2010 but they still don't have launch gears like Honda or Toyota. If you add a turbo charged engine that new Rogue may have..... now you got two things to worry about.

That said, my wife's 2015 Rogue Select has been great. I change the CVT fluid a lot to try and make it last. But it's a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder. The CVT's last longer with the smaller engines. A turbo charged engine or even a normal V6 is going to put more stress on the CVT. But back to my wife's 2015 Rogue Select which is why I'm on this forum since I do all the maintence and most repairs on it, it was assembled in Japan so the fit and trim are excellent on it. Annoyingly, they used the same inferior parts that the Rogues made in USA have like the french Valeo alternators instead of Japanese Hitachi alternators like my older Nissans had. The old Nissans lasted forever. The newer the Nissan, the less Japanese parts on it. Toyota is going that route too but they use Japanese owned factories with strict standards in other countries. For example, Hitachi makes the shocks in Mexico but to Japanese standards so Toyota accepts them. But Nissan seems to outsource their stuff now.
There's a lot of misconception here. First off, no Rogue has ever had a V6. The first two gens were QR25 only. The gen3's initially came out with the NA PR25 and then went to the turbo KR15 3-banger in '22. So far I'm very impressed with it, it's variable compression along with the turbo and the biggest problems we've seen are with the stupid plastic oil pans. You do need to keep the PCV system clean and de-carbon it regularly. The VC system has been out since the '19 Altimas (PR25/KR20), and I was frankly peeing my pants worrying about its reliability when Nissan first announced it. It turns out they got it dead right, we've seen just about zero VC issues and we've seen lots of them pass 100K miles now. The KR15 is basically 3/4 of a KR20 with 120 degree crank, and vertical triples actually have the least engine harmonics of any configuration except a boxer. Tertiary harmonics only, no first or second order. With the VC and turbo working together, it should be pretty obvious why "launch" problems aren't an issue. I drove one 11 hours round trip to Dallas for Nissan school, and I found it smooth, highly drivable, still pulling hard at 85+, and getting almost 40 mpg at those speeds. I hated the stop/start, but there's already a China company making a delete switch to automatically turn it off.

Vis the transmission, the 4-cyl CVT's are not (repeat, not not NOT) as durable as the 6-cyl's. That's a complete myth. The '09B and subsequent '10E/10H/10J were vastly more reliable than the '10A/10D's in the 4-bangers. They're all reliable if you keep the fluid clean, but an unserviced '10D is usually toast around 100K, while I've seen many '09B's go past 150K and some of the big '10's go even further with basically zero attention. The chain construction and cross section are the reason. Bigger is better, period. The brand new GE series in the Rogue has a lot of improvements, including a nastier chain, and surprise -- we have yet to replace a single one. I doubt that will last, but with proper service, I'm expecting to see many of them go a very, very, very long way.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

RickFlorida wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:16 pm
What was the mileage at and how often was the fluid changed?
Yep. 4 years old and 27K on the odometer. Fluid was changed when they replaced the transmission. :)

You can read about that fun here: post6825444.html?hilit=transmission%20q451990#p6825444

RickFlorida
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue Select

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:23 pm
There's a lot of misconception here.
Sorry,

It was an honest mistake. I forget that the Murano has the V6 with the CVT. I apologize for that mistake and didn't mean to cause any problems. You seem extremely knowledgable so you have to understand someone like me doens't know all the details like you.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

No biggie, we all make mistakes. I wasn't being critical, just straightening out misconceptions.

Q451990

I cleaned the thread up a little. RickFlorida, please don't worry about it. That's what these forums are for - learning stuff. I'm glad your wife's Rogue is working well for her.

I think my mother in law's transmission issue was either a one-off, or related to a little off-road incident that took place a year or so prior to it failing that had her stuck in the mud spinning the tires. No proof on that, but it's a theory.

Q451990

To close the loop on this, we drove to Atlanta yesterday and took delivery of a new Rogue. She ended up picking a Boulder Gray SL with the premium package to get the built in navigation and 360 view cameras. Any help she can get with parking without hitting stuff is a good thing.

I drove it back from Atlanta, and the intelligent cruise control sure is interesting. I went from "this is scary" in the first couple of miles to "sigh... it's flashing the warning light again, I guess I have to wiggle the steering wheel a little so that it knows I'm alive" by the time we got home. :biggrin:

As a side note, if you're in the market for a new Nissan and you're anywhere in driving distance of Mike Rezi Nissan in Atlanta, the buying experience there was really awesome. They gave us a about $2000 off of MSRP out the door (keep in mind SC sales tax is capped at $500) with the 0% financing offer. Very little upsell - just the usual extended warranty questions by the finance guy - and we worked out everything before making the drive. No surprises - no "oops we forgot to mention the nitrogen and tint addendum" BS - a great experience from start to finish.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Q451990 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:03 am
Any help she can get with parking without hitting stuff is a good thing.
:lolling: :lolling: :lolling:

Return to “Rogue Forum”