2023 Versa S keyless entry

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
Brentbb
Car: 2023 Nissan Versa S M/T

Thank you directly vic831!

vic831
Car: 2023 Nissan Versa S

Thasman wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:24 am
Would the 28268-5EA1A key be programmable using the self program function if a key fob has never been assigned to the car? I have this key fob on order for my 23 Versa S M/T and the directions I found in Consult 3+ said to:
1. Get in vehicle, close door, lock the door using d/s switch
2. Remove and insert key into ignition switch 6 times within 10 seconds
3. Hazard lights flash and all doors unlock
4. Within 3 seconds of hazard lights flash and door unlock, turn key to ACC on position and lock doors using d/s switch
5. Press lock or unlock button on key fob to be added
6. All doors unlock, hazard lights blink
7. Key fob is now registered
8. Open all doors to exit programming mode
I tried it on 3 different 2023 Versa S M/T,
All it does is unlock the door on insertion 6 times 10 times doesn’t matter, won’t go into programming mode. Tried it yesterday on a 2019 Frontier worked like a charm.

vic831

Brentbb wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:52 pm
No, Thank you. I got a question. 1. Do you use the factory key with the fob to start the car?
2. Or do you use the non chip plain “programming” key with the fob presumably close to the ignition to start the car?
I would worry if option 1 confuses the car with 2 chips near the immobilizer. But maybe once you are past programming stage it all works, as long as one doesn’t exceed 4 total chips being loaded in.

Also everyone remember to always test all your keys after programming to make sure they all work.

Brentbb
Car: 2023 Nissan Versa S M/T

vic831 wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:50 pm
Brentbb wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:52 pm
No, Thank you. I got a question. 1. Do you use the factory key with the fob to start the car?
2. Or do you use the non chip plain “programming” key with the fob presumably close to the ignition to start the car?
I would worry if option 1 confuses the car with 2 chips near the immobilizer. But maybe once you are past programming stage it all works, as long as one doesn’t exceed 4 total chips being loaded in.

Also everyone remember to always test all your keys after programming to make sure they all work.
I use the factory key with the fob to start the car.

vic831

Thanks Brentbb
I guess that’s it then for me, I’m out. Thank you again to VStar650 for his master tech insight, very helpful valuable member. All the info anyone needs is on this thread to add a fob for $175 to $242 for one fob, two fobs for $250 to $382 depending on parts acquisition costs.
Should of been standard for a 2023 car with otherwise so much tech and safety on the base S trim. Frustrating and ridiculous.

2019Versafan
Car: 2019 Versa S

I guess that not all budget buyers want all of the expensive bells and whistles. I think the move was done in an effort to keep costs down which keeps the price down and which then doesn't further alienate budget buyers into buying used cars instead. Just my 2 cents.

Tombo

New member and proud new owner of a 2023 Versa S. I stumbled on this thread looking for a keyless entry system for the car. After reading that it does in fact work using the switchblade keys I got admittedly excited. When I search the part numbers graciously provided I come up with this for the complete unit. It says no image, but it sounds about right in the title. However, when I click on the item, it changes to the key blank for the smart key, or at least the image does. Can anyone confirm this is the right number still? I know this thread is only a few months old, but I've seen numbers get changed before and I don't want to buy the wrong thing. I've attached screenshots of what I am talking about. I'm especially confused because just a few items further down is the same image, but an extremely lower price.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230627_024346_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230627_023350_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230627_023329_Chrome.jpg

Tombo

One more question. Would the lollipop key from 2019 fit/work for my 2023?

vic831

Tombo wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:44 am
If you really want keyless entry for your new car you should read this entire thread and appreciate the info provided that even the dealerships have no knowledge of. All your questions can be or have been answered by simply reading the pages 3-4 of the thread. It’s already been done for you, hours of research for free.

You are posting pics of key blanks for proximity remotes that won’t work for a Versa S. Just get the part number for the fob or the fob with the key and get it programmed like the thread tells you, the info is only 1-2 months old.
If it’s too long a read, just give up and do like Versafan and just use the key in the door, who really needs an RKE remote fob, just the key is so simple and pure and easy and cheap, nothing to buy or program. It will be like 1940 again. But that’s the point of this thread, to get RKE. Not to opine why one doesn’t need it while providing no help whatsoever to anyone of achieving the actual goal of RKE for a 2023 Versa S.

Tombo

vic831 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:29 am
Tombo wrote:
If you really want keyless entry for your new car you should read this entire thread and appreciate the info provided that even the dealerships have no knowledge of. All your questions can be or have been answered by simply reading the pages 3-4 of the thread. It’s already been done for you, hours of research for free.

You are posting pics of key blanks for proximity remotes that won’t work for a Versa S. Just get the part number for the fob or the fob with the key and get it programmed like the thread tells you, the info is only 1-2 months old.
If it’s too long a read, just give up and do like Versafan and just use the key in the door, who really needs an RKE remote fob, just the key is so simple and pure and easy and cheap, nothing to buy or program. It will be like 1940 again. But that’s the point of this thread, to get RKE. Not to opine why one doesn’t need it while providing no help whatsoever to anyone of achieving the actual goal of RKE for a 2023 Versa S.
My first post has what the nissan parts site shows for a picture when I search for the part number provided. If you read it, you would see that. The only reason I asked the second question is that I would prefer the lollipop key over the flip key. I read the whole thread from page 1 all the way through. Before spending over $200 I wanted to make sure it was an error on the Nissan parts website as literally all the suppliers have the same picture if there is one at all.

2019Versafan

vic831 wrote:
Tombo wrote:

Only by my father, who was driving our car, flicking off a traditional key was he able to respond quickly enough to stop our car by shutting off the engine and prevent a terrible accident with a car that had pulled out directly in front of our car when I was growing up. With push button start you have to hold down the button for 3 seconds before the car will shut off. There wasn't the 3 seconds to have prevented this accident.
For me, it's also about spending priorities. Most people don't have unlimited funds. I certainly don't and I choose to spend my funds elsewhere rather than on a remote door lock and push button start. Obviously other people feel differently and they have every right to. We all make our spending choices as we see fit. For me, when money is tight, I choose to prioritize where I spend and where I don't spend.

vic831

Versafan you are not contributing one bit on how to actually get keyless entry on a 2023 Versa S, the purpose of my thread. You just continue to hijack my thread to tell old war stories and to discourage owners from even wanting RKE. Why?????? The S doesn’t even have push button start in 2023 or 2022 US models. Why don’t you starr your own thread for your agenda.

vic831

The 26268-5EA1A fob(no key blank) from the 2022 Versa S is the only fob discovered so far to work on a 2023 Versa S. It’s worked on 3 cars that I know of. It’s $142 list price but find a dealer that sells it for $102 regularly on Nissanusa.com (hint Philadelphia area) and use the current 15% off sale and free shipping ending soon and it’s $86 plus programming. Or wait for a 25% off sale and it’s $75.
There is another part number in this thread for a fob plus the flip out key but it’s $330 !!

The car changed in 2019 and the electronics are updated periodically, this fob may not work on a 2024 S trim, they may not use a key at all, we’ll see.

Everyone reading this thread is welcome to buy the 2019 lollipop key/fob and try to program it. My 2019 frontier fob would not as previously documented in this thread.

Good luck

Tombo

vic831 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:46 pm
The 26268-5EA1A fob(no key blank) from the 2022 Versa S is the only fob discovered so far to work on a 2023 Versa S. It’s worked on 3 cars that I know of. It’s $142 list price but find a dealer that sells it for $102 regularly on Nissanusa.com (hint Philadelphia area) and use the current 15% off sale and free shipping ending soon and it’s $86 plus programming. Or wait for a 25% off sale and it’s $75.
There is another part number in this thread for a fob plus the flip out key but it’s $330 !!

The car changed in 2019 and the electronics are updated periodically, this fob may not work on a 2024 S trim, they may not use a key at all, we’ll see.

Everyone reading this thread is welcome to buy the 2019 lollipop key/fob and try to program it. My 2019 frontier fob would not as previously documented in this thread.

Good luck
I actually found it for $221.98 with key using the part number you provided. Ordered one this afternoon after calling my local dealership and asking about it. I'm not the first to call them about the lack of pictures and they assured me that it was the correct flip out key for the 2022 Versa.

vic831

A locksmith sent me this link to a key blank.
keyinnovations.com I have no idea the price, set up an account to see, but you will need a dowel pin to attach it to the fob and your locksmith will have to know how to crimp it.
Attachments
77DD1A0E-A019-4C94-91D0-1A8BD933886B.png

vic831

Dowel pin location in flip head
Attachments
BA2FC6E9-D2AB-4B4C-817B-C2D00A0D5380.png

vic831

Tombo wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:41 pm

Good luck
I actually found it for $221.98 with key using the part number you provided. Ordered one this afternoon after calling my local dealership and asking about it. I'm not the first to call them about the lack of pictures and they assured me that it was the correct flip out key for the 2022 Versa.
[/quote]
Did you get the H0561-5EF0C complete fob and key blank?
Or the 28268-5EA1A fob only ? I see now you were trying to find the H0561 combo and the pictures on the site don’t match, terrible.
Have all you keys present when programming. And if you got the 28268 fob you will need a non chip dummy key to turn the ignition during programming. Good job on your perseverance.

vic831

Another option for key blank
Attachments
B3133A6E-DA51-44E2-ABA4-9EE21375059C.png

2019Versafan

vic831 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:39 am
Versafan you are not contributing one bit on how to actually get keyless entry on a 2023 Versa S, the purpose of my thread. You just continue to hijack my thread to tell old war stories and to discourage owners from even wanting RKE. Why?????? The S doesn’t even have push button start in 2023 or 2022 US models. Why don’t you starr your own thread for your agenda.
If you read the thread, you'll see that my comments were in response to comments made to other posters specific comments in this thread about Versa options availability or lack of availability and the reasons behind that, Versa sales and the budgets of Versa buyers. I especially have the right to respond when I get singled out. Try reading the entire thread and you'll see this to be the case.

Tombo

2019Versafan wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:17 am
vic831 wrote:

Only by my father, who was driving our car, flicking off a traditional key was he able to respond quickly enough to stop our car by shutting off the engine and prevent a terrible accident with a car that had pulled out directly in front of our car when I was growing up. With push button start you have to hold down the button for 3 seconds before the car will shut off. There wasn't the 3 seconds to have prevented this accident.
For me, it's also about spending priorities. Most people don't have unlimited funds. I certainly don't and I choose to spend my funds elsewhere rather than on a remote door lock and push button start. Obviously other people feel differently and they have every right to. We all make our spending choices as we see fit. For me, when money is tight, I choose to prioritize where I spend and where I don't spend.
There's literally no reason to turn off your car to avoid an accident when a car pulls out in front if you.

Tombo

vic831 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:18 pm
Tombo wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:41 pm

Good luck
Did you get the H0561-5EF0C complete fob and key blank?
Or the 28268-5EA1A fob only ? I see now you were trying to find the H0561 combo and the pictures on the site don’t match, terrible.
Have all you keys present when programming. And if you got the 28268 fob you will need a non chip dummy key to turn the ignition during programming. Good job on your perseverance.
[/quote]

I ordered the complete fob with keyblank. Didn't feel like fiddling with or making the locksmith fiddle with assembling the 2 parts.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Tombo wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:13 am
There's literally no reason to turn off your car to avoid an accident when a car pulls out in front if you.
Stuck throttle. NHTSA says about 16K accidents a year are caused by unintended accelleration. However, excluding stuck throttle cables (which almost don't exist anymore), something north of 99.9% of those are caused by either driver error (wrong pedal) or mislocated floor mats. In other words, if you need to turn the key off to avoid a crash, there's a 99.9% chance it's due to your own dumbs#!t.

vic831

Versafan, as a small child, do you remember if your father had ANY braking or steering capability when he abruptly shut off the ignition? Did your car have a locking steering column? (post 1968) Did your car have power steering? Was the throttle/gas pedal stuck? (Good call VStar) Do you recall the year model?
Great story.

2019Versafan

vic831 wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:43 am
Versafan, as a small child, do you remember if your father had ANY braking or steering capability when he abruptly shut off the ignition? Did your car have a locking steering column? (post 1968) Did your car have power steering? Was the throttle/gas pedal stuck? (Good call VStar) Do you recall the year model?
Great story.
Considering that my father had bachelors and masters degrees in engineering, more than 40 years of aviation and automotive engineering work experience and was a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers, I would say that he knew exactly what he was doing. There's no one in this thread with such a resume so I'll leave it at that.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

2019Versafan wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:30 am
vic831 wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:43 am
Versafan, as a small child, do you remember if your father had ANY braking or steering capability when he abruptly shut off the ignition? Did your car have a locking steering column? (post 1968) Did your car have power steering? Was the throttle/gas pedal stuck? (Good call VStar) Do you recall the year model? Great story.
Considering that my father had bachelors and masters degrees in engineering, more than 40 years of aviation and automotive engineering work experience and was a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers, I would say that he knew exactly what he was doing. There's no one in this thread with such a resume so I'll leave it at that.
Now why on earth would you think anyone was casting aspersions at your dad? Dunno how old you are, but 30 years ago stuck throttles were common. You could get a typical Chevy to do it just from a bad motor mount, the engine would torque-lift and the linkage would jam. It doesn't happen on anything modern because there are no more cables and linkages. @Tombo seemed to be under the impression that there was no reason for killing a key, and that isn't true.

So please, don't make this into another idiot back-and-forth about how much your dad knew. I'm sure he knew a lot, and if he killed the key, I'm sure he had a reason. Nothing in anything I said was aimed at him, so unlight your touchy fuse and chill the hell out.

vic831

Versafan, do you recall what kind of car your father was driving? My dad had an engineering degree as well (no masters)
He was wayyyyy smarter than me, I can barely read or write.

VStar I think the 1969 Camaro particularly had problems with bad motor mounts causing stuck throttle. They found one in 2013 in a lake that was surmised to have done that back in 1970, I wanna say in Oklahoma while testing advanced sonar equipment. Also found a 1950 Chevy missing since 1960.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

vic831 wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:27 pm
VStar I think the 1969 Camaro particularly had problems with bad motor mounts causing stuck throttle. They found one in 2013 in a lake that was surmised to have done that back in 1970, I wanna say in Oklahoma while testing advanced sonar equipment. Also found a 1950 Chevy missing since 1960.
I'm not surprised, but actually, a lot of GM products had routine problems with that, particularly the ones that had linkages and not cables. My old '67 GTO nearly killed a garage door that way. Usually they'd let go if you dropped throttle and jammed the brakes, but not always. The linkages could wear out and get ka-ka too, it wasn't always bad mounts.

Tombo

VStar650CL wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:14 pm
2019Versafan wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:30 am
Now why on earth would you think anyone was casting aspersions at your dad? Dunno how old you are, but 30 years ago stuck throttles were common. You could get a typical Chevy to do it just from a bad motor mount, the engine would torque-lift and the linkage would jam. It doesn't happen on anything modern because there are no more cables and linkages. @Tombo seemed to be under the impression that there was no reason for killing a key, and that isn't true.

So please, don't make this into another idiot back-and-forth about how much your dad knew. I'm sure he knew a lot, and if he killed the key, I'm sure he had a reason. Nothing in anything I said was aimed at him, so unlight your touchy fuse and chill the hell out.
I said exactly what I meant and meant exactly what I said. If the throttle pedal stuck, it wouldn't have been a car pulling out in front of them that prompted the key being turned off.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Tombo wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:20 pm
I said exactly what I meant and meant exactly what I said. If the throttle pedal stuck, it wouldn't have been a car pulling out in front of them that prompted the key being turned off.
With strict regards to the circumstances he described, true. If @2019VersaFan was a kid at the time, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of not comprehending (or even remembering correctly) the exact circumstances. At eight or ten years old, I know my own reaction would have been, "Wow, my dad's a hero and he sure is smart!"

vic831

Tombo,
I want to apologize for misinterpreting your post when you showed the proximity key blank,
I didn’t recognize the part number for the complete flip key. The pictures on the site are pitiful.
In conclusion new readers either
1. 28268-5EA1A fob only $142. You can add
the flip out key for less than $10 using
Info in here, but it has to be attached by
A crimped dowel pin by a locksmith. You
will need a non chip dummy key to turn
the ignition during programming if you
don’t add the key part, then use the fob
with your factory key. The chip in the
factory key interferes with programming
but not after programming. The fob has
an immobilizer chip itself along with the
RKE transmitter. So if you add the non
chip flip out key you just need it to start
and lock/unlock your car, and you can
put your factory key away. In case you
new owners haven’t noticed you can’t
even lock/unlock all 4 doors with the
key in the drivers door. (I know WTH!!)

2. H0561-5EF0C fob with flip key $338. This
Item (a single fob) came with the 2022
Versa S. Use the flip key to turn the
ignition during programming.
Have all your keys present during programming every time you program!! Tell the locksmith to program it like a 2022. There is a limit how many chips can be
programmed, I think it’s 4.

Sadly, No other part number fobs have been shown to be programmable to a 2023 Versa S.

Buy either part number above on the Nissanusa website during a 15% or even 25% off sale with free shipping !! The site gives you 3 dealers to chose from; BIG TIP you can change the dealer zip code locator and see some dealers offer discounts off MSRP before the sale price.

Nissan saved less than $25 eliminating the fob (their cost) . But for less than $200 you can at least get 1 RKE fob for your 2023.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”