2023 SL AWD Modes/algorithms Technically Explained?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
hooyerd
Car: 2023 Nissan Rogue
2015 Nissan Altima

New Rogue owner here obsessed to know how stuff I own actually works. Does anyone have a link/source, whatever to seriously explain the AWD modes, The torque splits front/rear, any left/right slipping differential control (is that controlled via brake application only?). Anyway, it would be nice to know exactly what power dispersion you have for any given mode. All I can find are simpleton explanations such as: Snow Mode will help you more on snowy roads, so use Snow Mode if you find yourself on snowy roads. Seriously Nissan? Sport Mode? Is the spark curve redefined, more turbo pressure, more horse power? It does say something about tighter steering but etc. etc. etc. The Owner's Manual definitely fails with real education on what those modes are really doing. Where can the gear heads like me get the real scoop/explanation/operation of the various modes? I must have opened 10 useless links describing the same (almost useless info) when going down the Google road. Thanks!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Power to the rear uses an electrically-controlled viscous coupling mounted to the rear diff pinion. The transfer case doesn't shift. Power is applied to the driveshaft at all times, so when the coupler is fully applied, power is split 50-50 front-rear. The system can electronically apply any amount between 0~50%. The diffs aren't limited slip, traction control at both ends uses the ABS actuators to limit slip in individual wheels. You'll get a noise like a burp out of a slipping wheel, along with a VDC/Slip light that tells you the TCS is active. TCS/VDC is very good at handling both oversteer and wheel slip, but I should warn you that Nissan VDC's will let you understeer till the cows come home. Don't expect it to prevent you overshooting corners on a slick road, it won't bat an eye unless it detects yaw. Nissan doesn't give us any more information about the various modes than it gives you, there's virtually nothing about it in the service manual. To that extent the software system is a "black box" and the info in the Owner's Manual is all you'll get.

alaroche_eng
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV

Good to know. Thanks.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:dblthumb:

Return to “Rogue Forum”